Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 442

Thread: Football team forced to remove crosses from helmets

  1. #141
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,280

    Re: Football team forced to remove crosses from helmets

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    No one was denied anything, they can wear as many crosses as they want on their own time.
    The concept of government property should be easier for a Canadian to grasp one would think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You have no empirical evidence backing up your false assertion. You are simply conjecturing based on a whim...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Or maybe "We now understand why women provoke men into hitting them".
    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    . Losing insurance does not mean losing healthcare. .

  2. #142
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:56 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,603

    Re: Football team forced to remove crosses from helmets

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    John, I would remind you that peer pressure, especially in high school and even more especially as a member of a team, is significant. We don't know, no one does, how many players on the team would prefer not to wear the cross symbol. We do know from our own life experiences that those kids who disagree are highly unlikely to speak up. In addition, the act of placing a religious symbol on their helmets may discourage non-Christian kids from trying out for football. Lastly, unless people read about it in the press, anyone unfamiliar with the reason for the symbol and most opposing teams only see the cross and it is thus left up to interpretation.



    The same can be said for religious martyrdom. Just this week I read where a teacher in Georgia is burning all his sick days to protest the fact that he can't talk about Jesus in the public school classroom. In an interview he admitted that he did do it and said that as Christ grows in him he talks more about Jesus in the classroom, but that it was his right to share Jesus's message with the class and that he was being punished for his religious views.

    We do hear/read about this sort of self imposed religious martyrdom frequently. "They won't let God in the classroom", "They hate Jesus", "They want to silence the word of the Lord".
    yet teachers can have islam day and hindu day and etc etc etc ... and nothing is said or done unless parents speak up. no lawsuits no threats.
    mention Christ or God and they come out of the wood work.

  3. #143
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,171

    Re: Football team forced to remove crosses from helmets

    By the same logic as the OP the team were being "forced" to wear the crosses before the change, since the choice was not on offer.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  4. #144
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,369

    Re: Football team forced to remove crosses from helmets

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    It was a STATE funeral, not a private one.
    And? No one could think that giveing him the funeral he wanted was government endorsed religion. Just like crosses or stars of David etc are fine on headstones.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  5. #145
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,369

    Re: Football team forced to remove crosses from helmets

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    But you just previously stated that the players aren't allowed to mourn according to their wishes and beliefs.
    I said no such thing.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  6. #146
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,171

    Re: Football team forced to remove crosses from helmets

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    yet teachers can have islam day and hindu day and etc etc etc ... and nothing is said or done unless parents speak up. no lawsuits no threats.
    mention Christ or God and they come out of the wood work.
    More Christianist nonsense. Nobody is requiring students to practice these religions on such study days. Forcing participation in prayer is entirely different.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  7. #147
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:56 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,603

    Re: Football team forced to remove crosses from helmets

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    By the same logic as the OP the team were being "forced" to wear the crosses before the change, since the choice was not on offer.
    can you shows where they were forced? the article said they all volunteered to do it. so if you think they were forced please provide evidence to support this claim.

  8. #148
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Football team forced to remove crosses from helmets

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    That wasn't the point. But don't let that stop you from yelling fire!
    What was your point then?

  9. #149
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Football team forced to remove crosses from helmets

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    wrong according to the constitution the SCOTUS.
    they can wear it anytime they want to in any manner they choose to
    .


    But not on their football helmets. Those crosses are gone.

  10. #150
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:56 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,603

    Re: Football team forced to remove crosses from helmets

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    More Christianist nonsense. Nobody is requiring students to practice these religions on such study days. Forcing participation in prayer is entirely different.
    umm wrong.

    there were plenty of news articles where teachers were doing this very thing all in the name of diversity.

Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •