Page 41 of 48 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 476

Thread: Obama: "ISIL Is Not Islamic"

  1. #401
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,013

    Re: Obama: "ISIL Is Not Islamic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Yes, which has zero to do with the mythical "defense of Islam" that you accused someone of.



    I'm not "offended," I just know damn well why it's being done. Pure hackery.
    Your real reason is nothing deeper then you are offended at any criticism of the current progressive occupant of the white house...(Barack "Hussein" Obama).

  2. #402
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,910

    Re: Obama: "ISIL Is Not Islamic"

    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    Your real reason is nothing deeper then you are offended at any criticism of the current progressive occupant of the white house...(Barack "Hussein" Obama).
    False, but thanks for playing. You should probably not be in the business of telling others what they think, since you're not very good at it.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  3. #403
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    Re: Obama: "ISIL Is Not Islamic"

    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    You are attempting to speak for me...however you are only showing your own racism as well as your inability to distinguish between race and religion. I don't have a problem with most Muslims....just the fanatical ones and those who do not condemn the extremists who are hijacking their religion. I highlight Obama's middle name because it matches the last name of the late "butcher of Bagdad...Saddam Hussein....the character that led the US to get involved in two bloody wars. One in 1991 and one in 2003. And by the way, Saddam Hussein was a secularist.....unless he saw political benefit and bringing up religion.
    While there is a distinction between religion and race, this type of subtle bigotry is a form of racism, as it is the intersectionality of race and religion.

    Of course, you would know this if you read more in your spare time.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  4. #404
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama: "ISIL Is Not Islamic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    While there is a distinction between religion and race, this type of subtle bigotry is a form of racism, as it is the intersectionality of race and religion.
    Nice try but in fact Islam is everywhere, as is Christianity. They are not the same as race at all.

  5. #405
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Obama: "ISIL Is Not Islamic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Islam is not a race.

    It's odd though that even atheists feel they have to defend Islam, one of the worst religions to ever strike mankind..
    Murderers find a way to justify their actions. The words in the book aren't important. ISIL would have been just as evil if they had bibles.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #406
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Obama: "ISIL Is Not Islamic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Nice try but in fact Islam is everywhere, as is Christianity. They are not the same as race at all.
    The sad part is you don't even realize that extremists hungry for power will justify using ANYTHING. The same was done with the bible as is with the Koran now.

    It isn't the text that is the problem it is the extremists. Now if you want to go against the extremists, I'll stand with you any day of the week. When you try to blame a book though for the troubles, that is where I draw the line.

  7. #407
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama: "ISIL Is Not Islamic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Murderers find a way to justify their actions. The words in the book aren't important. ISIL would have been just as evil if they had bibles.
    But they don't have Bibles, they have the Koran. And of course Christianity, and any religion except Islam, has nothing to do with ISIS.

  8. #408
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama: "ISIL Is Not Islamic"

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    The sad part is you don't even realize that extremists hungry for power will justify using ANYTHING. The same was done with the bible as is with the Koran now.
    Feeling sad is a rather pathetic excuse for gaining attention. Are you denying that these are Islamic extremists, or is that they are Muslims which is making you sad?
    It isn't the text that is the problem it is the extremists. Now if you want to go against the extremists, I'll stand with you any day of the week. When you try to blame a book though for the troubles, that is where I draw the line.
    Are trying to make the case that the extremists weren't inspired by the text? That's another sad part.

  9. #409
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Obama: "ISIL Is Not Islamic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Feeling sad is a rather pathetic excuse for gaining attention. Are you denying that these are Islamic extremists, or is that they are Muslims which is making you sad?
    I think you need to re-read my statements. I said it was sad, not that I was sad. Your comments demonstrate a lack of reading comprehension.

    Are trying to make the case that the extremists weren't inspired by the text? That's another sad part.
    People are responsible solely for THEIR own actions. Tell me, when there is gun violence, do you blame the gun, the bullets, or the shooter? Same thing here. The book is an object, the text is an object. The object doesn't MAKE people act. Sad you don't realize that. You must hate guns too since you like to blame objects for the woes of the world.

  10. #410
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,772

    Re: Obama: "ISIL Is Not Islamic"

    Quote Originally Posted by kramercat View Post
    "Now let’s make two things clear: ISIL is not Islamic. No religion condones the killing of innocents, and the vast majority of ISIL’s victims have been Muslim."

    Oh really? There has been an ongoing war, even before ISIS, with Sunni and Shia Muslims killing each other, and both killing Christians - so exactly who is innocent and who is guilty?

    Whether you like it or not, the name of the terrorist group is 'Islamic State'. They want a government governed strictly by Sharia, or Islamic, law. So yes, they are Islamic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    That's right people...

    If Obama disagrees with that you are the religion you say you are that means you're not that religion

    Thank god this kind of stupid standard isn't actually the standard, or else all the idiots accusing Obama of lying about being Christian and really being Muslim would suddenly have a leg to stand on

    Yes, Isis is fundamentally Islamic in its makeup and foundational philosophy. Saying and acknowledging that fact and reality doesn't mean all Muslims agree with their stances or interpretations. This ridiculous attempt to deny reality in a backwards attempt at bending over backwards to disassociate them from a clear factor in their actions is not just dishonest but irresponsible. If you want to specific that they are a fundamentalist version, that's fine. But to claim they're not Islamic is just pure hogwash
    I think what the President was trying to do was make a distinction between Islam in the truest since of the religion and how the religion has been co-opted by Muslim extremist. This argument has been going around since 9/11 and I don't think anyone who has their heals dug in to believe anything different about the Islamic faith other than it's all about conflict. They're perspective will likely never change.

    All I can say is this: Just as Christianity has its loons and cult spin-offs, so does Islam. And although my reading of the Qur'an leads me to believe that overall the religion is peaceful at its core, there are some who take it too literally and use its tenants to cause conflict, i.e., Al-Quada, Taliban, ISIL just to name a few. To that, it's no different from Christians who take a literal view of specific passages of Biblical scripture to espouse their point of view to make a verse mean whatever they want it to mean, i.e., "separation of the races" is a common one. From Jim Jones to Waco (yeah, I said it! though I do believe the fed was wrong in how that situation was handled) to Heaven's Gate, both religions, if not ALL religions have their nut-jobs.

    IMO, the President is right. ISIL is not Islamic. They take the Muslim religion and subvert it in the same way as an cult does to attract followers to their cause.

    I found this website that provides details on just about every religion known to man. The part of the site I've linked to here covers Islam. Under the "Topics" section, there's a link to another webpage that compares Islam and Christianity. I would encourage folks interested in learning more about this religion or any other religion, but this Islam in particular other than the myths or fearful parts, such as, Sharia Law, to check it out.

    Disclaimer: I'm in no way trying to convert anyone to Islam. However, I do think that in order to understand a thing you have to learn about it....separate fact from fiction.
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 09-18-14 at 03:16 PM.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

Page 41 of 48 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •