Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Congress probes NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Ray Rice case

  1. #1
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    46,580

    Congress probes NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Ray Rice case

    Twelve House of Representatives Judiciary Committee Democrats sent a letter to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell Wednesday demanding "the highest level of transparency" concerning how the league investigated the Ray Rice domestic violence incident.

    Goodell made clear in interviews Tuesday night with USA TODAY Sports and CBS that he does not feel his job is in jeopardy.

    But clearly his handling of the Rice domestic violence issue is not going away and is reminiscent of the heat Congress and the House have increased on Goodell over changing the offensive nature of the Washington Redskins team name.


    More here:

    Congress probes NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Ray Rice case

    Are you ****ing kidding me? With everything going on in the country/world right now, they are interjecting themselves in this? Congratulations, America.

    FULL COPY OF CONGRESSIONAL LETTER TO ROGER GOODELL

    Dear Commissioner Goodell:

    We write concerning the important issue of domestic violence, which unfortunately impacts every level of our society, and which we must find ways to combat comprehensively. Our professional sports leagues are important economic and cultural institutions in the United States and we are interested in the manner in which these leagues handle incidents of domestic violence by their players, owners, and other employees. We believe that these high-profile professional leagues are, in many ways, in a position of public trust and should be at the forefront of handling such incidents appropriately.

    With this year marking the 20th anniversary of the enactment of the Violence Against Women Act, we all recognize that this issue requires strengthened and sustained efforts by individuals, organizations, and government. Of course, we are particularly concerned about information that has come to light about the perpetration of domestic violence by one of the NFL's players, Ray Rice, against his then-fiancee, Janay Palmer, in an elevator at the Revel Casino in Atlantic City, New Jersey on February 15, 2014.

    Given the important role the NFL and the other major professional sports leagues can play in shaping public perceptions concerning domestic violence, it would appear to be in the public interest to have the highest level of transparency associated with reviews of potential misconduct.

    Thus for example, while we understand that you have stated in an interview yesterday on behalf of the NFL that, "We assumed that there was a video, we asked for the video, we asked for anything that was pertinent, but we were never granted that opportunity," to our knowledge the public has not been informed as to specifically how and in what context the request was made, and specifically how relevant law enforcement responded. Nor has there been a full explanation as to whether the video was requested of others, such as Mr. Rice's attorney or the casino where the incident occurred (and if not, why not), or whether any employees, agents, or consultants of the league or any of its teams outside of your office had access to the video prior to September 8. We therefore urge greater transparency and explanations of these matters.

    We welcome your recent willingness to change the NFL's policies regarding issues of domestic violence, and we also believe other major professional sports leagues should consider making their policies public and reviews transparent as well. We look forward to working with you and all of the major professional sports leagues so that we can all participate in the effort to reduce incidents of domestic violence, increase transparency in their review, and better respond to those cases that unfortunately do occur.

    Sincerely,

    Rep. John Conyers Jr. (Mich.), House Judiciary Committee Ranking Member
    Rep. Jerrold Nadler (N.Y.)
    Rep. Luis Gutierrez (Ill.)
    Rep. Zoe Lofgren (Calif.)
    Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (Texas)
    Rep. Cedric L. Richmond (La.)
    Rep. Henry C. "Hank" Johnson Jr. (Ga.)
    Rep. Steve Cohen (Tenn.)
    Rep. Judy Chu (Calif.)
    Rep. Karen Bass (Calif.)
    Rep. Suzan K. DelBene (Wash.)
    Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (N.Y.)

    cc: CC: The Honorable Bob Goodlatte, Chairman, House Committee on the Judiciary; Mr. Gary Bettman, Commissioner, National Hockey League; Mr. Don Garber, commissioner, Major League Soccer; Mr. Bud Selig, Commissioner, Major League Baseball; Mr. Adam Silver, Commissioner, National Basketball Association

  2. #2
    Sewer Rat


    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    25,049

    Re: Congress probes NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Ray Rice case

    Well that's a lot quicker than Congress acted on information that the VA was royally ****ing disabled American veterans.










    Somedays I stop and ask myself if it is going to be worth the effort of chewing through the restraints.


    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf



  3. #3
    User aseidner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    132

    Re: Congress probes NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Ray Rice case

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Well that's a lot quicker than Congress acted on information that the VA was royally ****ing disabled American veterans.
    Football is serious business :/.

  4. #4
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    46,580

    Re: Congress probes NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Ray Rice case

    Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Obama announced the US will launch airstrikes on Syria. But first things first. THE NFL!!! We have to probe Roger Goodell!

    Sheer, unabashed, amazing idiocy.

  5. #5
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    60,001
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Congress probes NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Ray Rice case

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Twelve House of Representatives Judiciary Committee Democrats sent a letter to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell Wednesday demanding "the highest level of transparency" concerning how the league investigated the Ray Rice domestic violence incident.

    Goodell made clear in interviews Tuesday night with USA TODAY Sports and CBS that he does not feel his job is in jeopardy.

    But clearly his handling of the Rice domestic violence issue is not going away and is reminiscent of the heat Congress and the House have increased on Goodell over changing the offensive nature of the Washington Redskins team name.


    More here:

    Congress probes NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Ray Rice case

    Are you ****ing kidding me? With everything going on in the country/world right now, they are interjecting themselves in this? Congratulations, America.

    FULL COPY OF CONGRESSIONAL LETTER TO ROGER GOODELL

    Dear Commissioner Goodell:

    We write concerning the important issue of domestic violence, which unfortunately impacts every level of our society, and which we must find ways to combat comprehensively. Our professional sports leagues are important economic and cultural institutions in the United States and we are interested in the manner in which these leagues handle incidents of domestic violence by their players, owners, and other employees. We believe that these high-profile professional leagues are, in many ways, in a position of public trust and should be at the forefront of handling such incidents appropriately.

    With this year marking the 20th anniversary of the enactment of the Violence Against Women Act, we all recognize that this issue requires strengthened and sustained efforts by individuals, organizations, and government. Of course, we are particularly concerned about information that has come to light about the perpetration of domestic violence by one of the NFL's players, Ray Rice, against his then-fiancee, Janay Palmer, in an elevator at the Revel Casino in Atlantic City, New Jersey on February 15, 2014.

    Given the important role the NFL and the other major professional sports leagues can play in shaping public perceptions concerning domestic violence, it would appear to be in the public interest to have the highest level of transparency associated with reviews of potential misconduct.

    Thus for example, while we understand that you have stated in an interview yesterday on behalf of the NFL that, "We assumed that there was a video, we asked for the video, we asked for anything that was pertinent, but we were never granted that opportunity," to our knowledge the public has not been informed as to specifically how and in what context the request was made, and specifically how relevant law enforcement responded. Nor has there been a full explanation as to whether the video was requested of others, such as Mr. Rice's attorney or the casino where the incident occurred (and if not, why not), or whether any employees, agents, or consultants of the league or any of its teams outside of your office had access to the video prior to September 8. We therefore urge greater transparency and explanations of these matters.

    We welcome your recent willingness to change the NFL's policies regarding issues of domestic violence, and we also believe other major professional sports leagues should consider making their policies public and reviews transparent as well. We look forward to working with you and all of the major professional sports leagues so that we can all participate in the effort to reduce incidents of domestic violence, increase transparency in their review, and better respond to those cases that unfortunately do occur.

    Sincerely,

    Rep. John Conyers Jr. (Mich.), House Judiciary Committee Ranking Member
    Rep. Jerrold Nadler (N.Y.)
    Rep. Luis Gutierrez (Ill.)
    Rep. Zoe Lofgren (Calif.)
    Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (Texas)
    Rep. Cedric L. Richmond (La.)
    Rep. Henry C. "Hank" Johnson Jr. (Ga.)
    Rep. Steve Cohen (Tenn.)
    Rep. Judy Chu (Calif.)
    Rep. Karen Bass (Calif.)
    Rep. Suzan K. DelBene (Wash.)
    Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (N.Y.)

    cc: CC: The Honorable Bob Goodlatte, Chairman, House Committee on the Judiciary; Mr. Gary Bettman, Commissioner, National Hockey League; Mr. Don Garber, commissioner, Major League Soccer; Mr. Bud Selig, Commissioner, Major League Baseball; Mr. Adam Silver, Commissioner, National Basketball Association
    Satire and parody have now been rendered obsolete.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  6. #6
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    46,580

    Re: Congress probes NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Ray Rice case

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Satire and parody have now been rendered obsolete.
    I wonder when we can expect their probe of the prosecutor in NJ who let Rice off. When did the NFL Commissioner become responsible for domestic violence in America anyway? Is that in his job description?

    Did the Revel share the video of Rice hitting his fiancée with the prosecutor? Did the prosecutor ask for it?

  7. #7
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    60,001
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Congress probes NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Ray Rice case

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I wonder when we can expect their probe of the prosecutor in NJ who let Rice off. When did the NFL Commissioner become responsible for domestic violence in America anyway? Is that in his job description?

    Did the Revel share the video of Rice hitting his fiancée with the prosecutor? Did the prosecutor ask for it?
    If he gets caught in a lie he'll be done. If his story stands up then the hyenas will be bitterly frustrated.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  8. #8
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    85,079

    Re: Congress probes NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Ray Rice case

    The best part of all this, is that the Democrats have the gall to complain about Republicans being, "obstructionists".

    Is this REALLY the only thing congressional Dems have to do?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So there is absolutely no evidence this woman, whom you called a slut, did this but you are ready to take someone's word as evidence. Guess you don't think witch hunts have to end when it's going after the certain people.

  9. #9
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,944

    Re: Congress probes NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Ray Rice case

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Are you ****ing kidding me? With everything going on in the country/world right now, they are interjecting themselves in this? Congratulations, America.
    Im not surprised. The bigger the government, the more they will attempt to intrude on every aspect of one's life. Its a natural consequence.

  10. #10
    Tenacious
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,123

    Re: Congress probes NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Ray Rice case

    Reminds me when people 'turned their heads' at Penn St when that coach was molesting boys.

    That took down alot of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Welfare is a bad thing? It is essentially free money. It is not that bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I look at abortion the same way I do Pineapple Pizza.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •