Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 51

Thread: AP Newsbreak: Source says Rice video sent to NFL (in April)

  1. #41
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,073

    Re: AP Newsbreak: Source says Rice video sent to NFL (in April)

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Lololol well I understand. But he pretty much nailed EVERYONE.
    Olbermann has a horrible history of verbally abusing women. He is the last person that should comment on this.

  2. #42
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: AP Newsbreak: Source says Rice video sent to NFL (in April)

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Lololol well I understand. But he pretty much nailed EVERYONE.
    I don't do well watching hyper partisans. I include Sean Hannity, Limbaugh and some others in there as well. Olbermann is like a rabid dog. Never even liked him before I knew his hyper partisanship (when he was a sports guy). He dated Laura Ingraham at one point. I can only imagine the pillow talk...I'm actually shocked they didn't smother each other.

  3. #43
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: AP Newsbreak: Source says Rice video sent to NFL (in April)

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    Failed leadership in the context of a "violence against women problem" in the NFL.

    NOW issued the following press release:

    The NFL has lost its way. It doesn’t have a Ray Rice problem; it has a violence against women problem.
    •According to FiveThirtyEight.com, the relative arrest rate of NFL players is fifty-five percent for domestic violence, and thirty-eight percent for sex offenses.
    •Days after announcing his new domestic violence policy, Goodell said Ray McDonald of the San Francisco 49ers, who is facing a felony domestic violence charge, could play in the team’s season opener against the Dallas Cowboys.
    •Greg Hardy is still playing for the Carolina Panthers, even after being convicted in July of choking his former girlfriend and threatening to kill her.

    Goodell’s response to accusations that Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones sexually assaulted a woman has been: radio silence.

    The only workable solution is for Roger Goodell to resign, and for his successor to appoint an independent investigator with full authority to gather factual data about domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault and stalking within the NFL community, and to recommend real and lasting reforms.

    The NFL sets the example for college, high school, middle school and even elementary school football programs. And the example it is setting right now is simply unacceptable.

    New leadership must come in with a specific charge to transform the culture of violence against women that pervades the NFL.

    That’s the only way to restore honor and integrity to the country’s most lucrative and popular pastime.


    NOW Calls for Roger Goodell
    With all due respect, Don, I give little energy forthwith to anything NOW says. They are, and have become a political arm of the democratic party. They have developed convenient outrage syndrome, and I cannot support an organization that shows no consistency in matters affecting women.

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  4. #44
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: AP Newsbreak: Source says Rice video sent to NFL (in April)

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Greetings, tres borrachos.

    I was discussing the Rice thing today with a friend, and I was told that an NFL team can get rid of anyone they like, and the contract that was signed is meaningless. When I questioned how a signed contract isn't a legal document, I was asked why I thought most players demand the bulk of their money up front - they know how the "cookie crumbles." When I argued that it didn't seem fair to the owners, since a player can get hurt or die without playing any games for the money he has already received, I was told that's just how it's done.

    I still don't believe it. Could that be true, or was I just being razzed?
    Good morning Lady P

    No contract in the NFL is "guaranteed" - any team can terminate any contract with a player at any time they choose. Some of the money in the contract is guaranteed, even more so these days since a lot of players had been signing large contracts and then after a bad year they'd get cut and get very little out of that big deal - how players often sign for say $50 million over 5 years with $25 million guaranteed and often paid up front.

    Now, in the case of Rice as an example, even if he had "guaranteed" money in his contract, if his personal conduct goes against morality provisions in his contract he could also forfeit or be required to pay back some guaranteed money - likewise, if he chose to retire after receiving his upfront guaranteed money and not performing any or a good part of his obligations under the contract, he could also be held liable to return most or a good portion of the upfront payment.

    To my knowledge, the NFL is the only league where player contracts aren't really binding contracts in the normal sense of the term.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  5. #45
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: AP Newsbreak: Source says Rice video sent to NFL (in April)

    Quote Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
    Does the FBI really need to be involved though?
    It's not the FBI, just the former head of the FBI
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  6. #46
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,300

    Re: AP Newsbreak: Source says Rice video sent to NFL (in April)

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I don't do well watching hyper partisans. I include Sean Hannity, Limbaugh and some others in there as well. Olbermann is like a rabid dog. Never even liked him before I knew his hyper partisanship (when he was a sports guy). He dated Laura Ingraham at one point. I can only imagine the pillow talk...I'm actually shocked they didn't smother each other.
    Quite the couple there. Geez... He's back at ESPN by the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You have no empirical evidence backing up your false assertion. You are simply conjecturing based on a whim...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Or maybe "We now understand why women provoke men into hitting them".
    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    . Losing insurance does not mean losing healthcare. .

  7. #47
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: AP Newsbreak: Source says Rice video sent to NFL (in April)

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Quite the couple there. Geez... He's back at ESPN by the way.
    Yeah I know, I turn it off when he's on.

  8. #48
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: AP Newsbreak: Source says Rice video sent to NFL (in April)

    Man.. the NFL makes FIFA look competent and quick... never thought I would see that.
    PeteEU

  9. #49
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,356

    Re: AP Newsbreak: Source says Rice video sent to NFL (in April)

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Good morning Lady P

    No contract in the NFL is "guaranteed" - any team can terminate any contract with a player at any time they choose. Some of the money in the contract is guaranteed, even more so these days since a lot of players had been signing large contracts and then after a bad year they'd get cut and get very little out of that big deal - how players often sign for say $50 million over 5 years with $25 million guaranteed and often paid up front.

    Now, in the case of Rice as an example, even if he had "guaranteed" money in his contract, if his personal conduct goes against morality provisions in his contract he could also forfeit or be required to pay back some guaranteed money - likewise, if he chose to retire after receiving his upfront guaranteed money and not performing any or a good part of his obligations under the contract, he could also be held liable to return most or a good portion of the upfront payment.

    To my knowledge, the NFL is the only league where player contracts aren't really binding contracts in the normal sense of the term.
    Greetings, CJ.

    Thanks for the info! That's what I was told, so I guess I wasn't being razzed after all. It is still hard to believe, though!

    We had two tornadoes touch down early last evening - one about five minutes from me, and the other about 30 minutes away. It skipped right over my city, thankfully, but there was damage where they hit. My granddaughter was at our Rec Center exercising, and she said everyone was herded into a locker room for a while. Those alarms at the fire stations could raise the dead, and that's good, but Wow they're loud!

  10. #50
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: AP Newsbreak: Source says Rice video sent to NFL (in April)

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Greetings, CJ.

    Thanks for the info! That's what I was told, so I guess I wasn't being razzed after all. It is still hard to believe, though!

    We had two tornadoes touch down early last evening - one about five minutes from me, and the other about 30 minutes away. It skipped right over my city, thankfully, but there was damage where they hit. My granddaughter was at our Rec Center exercising, and she said everyone was herded into a locker room for a while. Those alarms at the fire stations could raise the dead, and that's good, but Wow they're loud!
    I'm glad to hear everyone is okay. I almost got up last night and started to build my Ark there was so much rain and it's very windy and much cooler here today, so I guess you've decided to pass your good weather on to me today - thanks so much!!
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •