Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 200

Thread: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

  1. #161
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,063

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    They did. Go back and check out what has been said. They arranged this well in advance, including providing the school with a complete study schedule for the girl before she left. The main issue was an inept computer system and miscommunications.
    How sure are you of that information? After doinf a small amount of research I retract my assertion (though it stands in other circumstances but apparently not this one since there never was a problem)

    But this is what happens when people with a agenda exploit stories. if you read the entire statement its apparent that the Washington post lied again..

    Statement from Chancellor Henderson Regarding Inaccuracies in Petula Dvorak Washington Post Column - DC Public Schools, Washington, DC

    "District of Columbia Public Schools (DCPS) Chancellor Kaya Henderson released the following statement highlighting inaccuracies in Petula Dvorak's column in today’s Washington Post. DCPS is hopeful Avery will return to her school very soon:



    DCPS excused Avery’s absences for international travel last year after conversations with the family and her school, which was confirmed with Avery’s parents by Andrea Allen, Director of Attendance and Support Services in DCPS’ Office of Youth Engagement. Her attendance summary from last year reflects the “authorized school activity” excuse code for her performance–related absences.

    DCPS did not make a referral to a truancy officer, Child and Family Services Agency (CFSA) nor any government agency for intervention, since we had clear information regarding the circumstances of these absences. The family was never at risk for truancy prosecution.

    No DCPS student is ever labeled or identified as a “truant” on a transcript, report card, or academic record.

    While DCPS has universal truancy policies in place, we work diligently to recognize unique situations. "

  2. #162
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,073

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    How sure are you of that information? After doinf a small amount of research I retract my assertion (though it stands in other circumstances but apparently not this one since there never was a problem)

    But this is what happens when people with a agenda exploit stories. if you read the entire statement its apparent that the Washington post lied again..

    Statement from Chancellor Henderson Regarding Inaccuracies in Petula Dvorak Washington Post Column - DC Public Schools, Washington, DC

    "District of Columbia Public Schools (DCPS) Chancellor Kaya Henderson released the following statement highlighting inaccuracies in Petula Dvorak's column in today’s Washington Post. DCPS is hopeful Avery will return to her school very soon:



    DCPS excused Avery’s absences for international travel last year after conversations with the family and her school, which was confirmed with Avery’s parents by Andrea Allen, Director of Attendance and Support Services in DCPS’ Office of Youth Engagement. Her attendance summary from last year reflects the “authorized school activity” excuse code for her performance–related absences.

    DCPS did not make a referral to a truancy officer, Child and Family Services Agency (CFSA) nor any government agency for intervention, since we had clear information regarding the circumstances of these absences. The family was never at risk for truancy prosecution.

    No DCPS student is ever labeled or identified as a “truant” on a transcript, report card, or academic record.

    While DCPS has universal truancy policies in place, we work diligently to recognize unique situations. "
    Like I've said for a while, the biggest problem is the school's system. They know that they have an automated system that sends out letters for 10 unexcused absences. At some point, either someone wasn't recording this girl's excused absences correctly or their system is messed up to send out truancy warnings for students who even have excused absences. Instead of correcting that problem for months, they chose to "reassure" the parents who are receiving conflicting information that the letters and phone calls they had been receiving about their child being truant and possibly being referred to CPS could be ignored. The issue with doing it this way is that it confuses the parents and doesn't alleviate a whole lot of stress when those letters continue to come. There should have been more than just "reassurances" done here by the school. They should have taken action to correct the problem so that they weren't getting phone calls or letters about truancy.

    The school's response sounds more like them trying to cover for their inaction in fixing the situation, fixing the automated notifications and warnings.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #163
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    So what happens when one is labelled as "truant" in USA anyway? Do they get expelled from school on those grounds? Or does it just harms their carrier/reputation?
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

  4. #164
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Like I've said for a while, the biggest problem is the school's system. They know that they have an automated system that sends out letters for 10 unexcused absences. At some point, either someone wasn't recording this girl's excused absences correctly or their system is messed up to send out truancy warnings for students who even have excused absences. Instead of correcting that problem for months, they chose to "reassure" the parents who are receiving conflicting information that the letters and phone calls they had been receiving about their child being truant and possibly being referred to CPS could be ignored. The issue with doing it this way is that it confuses the parents and doesn't alleviate a whole lot of stress when those letters continue to come. There should have been more than just "reassurances" done here by the school. They should have taken action to correct the problem so that they weren't getting phone calls or letters about truancy.

    The school's response sounds more like them trying to cover for their inaction in fixing the situation, fixing the automated notifications and warnings.
    What you don't understand is that taking action to correct the system requires programmers, and that costs money; something most CPS's have very little of.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #165
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,073

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    What you don't understand is that taking action to correct the system requires programmers, and that costs money; something most CPS's have very little of.
    Still their problem and they needed to explain it better, give her parents copies of the records showing that she was excused and some sort of certified letter, if necessary to prove that they weren't actually going to turn her in for being truant. And they need to get it fixed, even if that means disconnecting the automated system.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #166
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,073

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    So what happens when one is labelled as "truant" in USA anyway? Do they get expelled from school on those grounds? Or does it just harms their carrier/reputation?
    They can face charges in juvenile court for it. It can go on their juvenile record.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #167
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    My thoughts? If she were my child, she'd be in a private school, or home-schooled with private tutors, so that she could let her amazing talent develop to its maximum potential. What a wonderful thing to see.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  8. #168
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Still their problem and they needed to explain it better, give her parents copies of the records showing that she was excused and some sort of certified letter, if necessary to prove that they weren't actually going to turn her in for being truant. And they need to get it fixed, even if that means disconnecting the automated system.
    CPS depts tend to be overworked and can't cater to every parent. And your "solution" (ie disconnecting their system) is even worse than the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #169
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,073

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    CPS depts tend to be overworked and can't cater to every parent. And your "solution" (ie disconnecting their system) is even worse than the problem.
    Wait, what? Why would CPS be involved here, in this specific case? We are talking about the school system being the issue, not CPS. The school district is the one that is sending the letters out and making the phone calls about truancy. In this case, not only were the absences excused, according to the school, so they shouldn't have triggered the automated system to begin with, the system also seems to be sending out excessive notifications, since they said this happened multiple times not only for the end of the school year, but also over the summer. Why would the school set up a system like that to begin with? What is the point in having a system automatically notify parents over and over again after their child reaches 10 unexcused absences of potential consequences of the situation? I'm willing to bet that there was some sort of mistake made here by the school in how her absences were recorded, but if they are really working with parents, that means they need to actually work out their systems.

    How many students does the school really have "truant" throughout the year, particularly a Middle School? Considering what the Chancellor put out it doesn't sound like it is that many that they really need an automated system to deal with this issue. An automated system is overkill for this, as is evidenced by the amount of phone calls and letters the family claims to have received from the school about truancy.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #170
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,063

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Like I've said for a while, the biggest problem is the school's system. They know that they have an automated system that sends out letters for 10 unexcused absences. At some point, either someone wasn't recording this girl's excused absences correctly or their system is messed up to send out truancy warnings for students who even have excused absences. Instead of correcting that problem for months, they chose to "reassure" the parents who are receiving conflicting information that the letters and phone calls they had been receiving about their child being truant and possibly being referred to CPS could be ignored. The issue with doing it this way is that it confuses the parents and doesn't alleviate a whole lot of stress when those letters continue to come. There should have been more than just "reassurances" done here by the school. They should have taken action to correct the problem so that they weren't getting phone calls or letters about truancy.

    The school's response sounds more like them trying to cover for their inaction in fixing the situation, fixing the automated notifications and warnings.
    Yes lets just gloss over the fact that Petula Dvorak's column was inaccurate.

    "It seems that in this matter, while DCPS was working with the family to excuse the student’s absences, the automatic letter that is generated when a student reaches ten unexcused absences was sent. After a conversation with the Office of Youth Engagement, the family was told to disregard the letter. We also confirmed by phone for the parents that no CFSA referral had been completed, nor would this escalate any further. We believed our communication with the family as recently as August 25 clarified that Avery’s absences had been excused. We were surprised to learn that this is the reason why Avery was voluntarily withdrawn from her school. We sincerely apologize for any confusion that the cross-communication might have conveyed." Statement from Chancellor Henderson Regarding Inaccuracies in Petula Dvorak Washington Post Column - DC Public Schools, Washington, DC

    The parents over reacted to a a letter despite the communications of the school with the parents. It was like receiving a utility bill that hasnt shown your latest payment and then freaking out over it. There was never a actual problem, the student was never considered a truancy problem. Just one letter was sent automatically then the staff reacted and fixed the automated letter. There was no reason to write the inaccurate story. The whole thing was blown out of portion by whinny parents that over reacted over a letter that was dismissed and meaningless automated and invalid.

    "We recognize that Avery’s circumstances are unique, and we’ve worked closely with her family to support this specific situation. Last year, for example, DCPS ensured that Avery was able to take high school level math courses to meet her academic needs. School staff was aware that Avery’s travel schedule would result in an accrual of absences, and worked to ensure completion of key school assignments during her travels. We are very proud of Avery’s accomplishments throughout her entire educational career as a DC public school student, and we are hopeful that her parents will enroll her back at her back at Deal Middle School soon. "

    There wasnt any zero tolerance in this case at all. The pages and pages of this thread where people are getting all worked up are all for naught. All that happened was a letter was sent that was invalid and was treated as invalid. That isnt a broken system.

    I guess that you did not read this part?

    "DCPS did not make a referral to a truancy officer, Child and Family Services Agency (CFSA) nor any government agency for intervention, since we had clear information regarding the circumstances of these absences. The family was never at risk for truancy prosecution. "

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •