Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 200

Thread: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

  1. #151
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    Quote Originally Posted by Kushinator View Post
    Glad to help!
    No disrespect intended, just got a laugh out of it and thought I would share that.
    Everything in your life is a reflection of a choice you have made. If you want a different result, don't blame someone else, or expect others to make a change, you should stop complaining and make a different choice. Remember, the circumstances of your birth don't determine the outcome of your life.

  2. #152
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    Quote Originally Posted by Kushinator View Post
    School funding is allocated on the basis of "average daily attendance", i.e. the funds are disbursed in proportion to attendance. This is a major concern for DCPS.
    Yes, I know that but it doesn't mean that her school was underfunded.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #153
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Not according to what they have been putting out and even what the parents were saying, in that they were telling them that they could disregard the notes of truancy, but never said that the absences are excused. The Chancellor/principal of the school even said that it was a miscommunication about whether they were excused absences or unexcused. It certainly seems that the school had no issue with the girl actually going away for the two weeks. The problem seems to be that the school has an outdated or screwed up system for their absence marking and instead of changing the system or figuring out how to stop the letters/calls, just told parents to "ignore them", despite this causing parents to worry about what was really going on. Otherwise, the school is lying.
    Irrelevant to what you quoted.

    So again.
    No they didn't. All they did was reverse their decision.

    Just because DCPS determined they were excusable doesn't make the absences right, or what the school did wrong, just excusable.


    From the article.

    But the school officials wouldn’t budge, even though the truancy law gives them the option to decide what an unexcused absence is. The law states that an excused absence can be “an emergency or other circumstances approved by an educational institution.”

    Do you, or do you not understand that the above allows them to decide how they choose? They can choose as they want. For or against. Neither is wrong.

    Changing their mind to make the absences approved does not say the original denial was wrong.



    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    You're wrong.

    Statement from Chancellor Henderson Regarding Inaccuracies in Petula Dvorak Washington Post Column - DC Public Schools, Washington, DC

    We recognize that Avery’s circumstances are unique, and we’ve worked closely with her family to support this specific situation. Last year, for example, DCPS ensured that Avery was able to take high school level math courses to meet her academic needs. School staff was aware that Avery’s travel schedule would result in an accrual of absences, and worked to ensure completion of key school assignments during her travels. We are very proud of Avery’s accomplishments throughout her entire educational career as a DC public school student, and we are hopeful that her parents will enroll her back at her back at Deal Middle School soon.
    Wrong.
    1.) We were discussing what the article said. And it does not say it was before the fact. So I was not wrong in that regard.

    2.) What you just provided does not say what you earlier alleged, as it is obviously after the fact of approval.
    "They arranged this well in advance, including providing the school with a complete study schedule for the girl before she left. "

    Now maybe "and worked to ensure completion of key school assignments during her travels." means the same as you are assuming "including providing the school with a complete study schedule for the girl before she left.", but for some reason I doubt it as the article said the "school officials wouldn’t budge".
    Which would indicate that the schools position on her absences was already known and your above quote is after the fact of the school changing their position.
    So the below quote was during the issue, not prior to the issue.
    So again. Not before the fact as I stated.
    So no I wouldn't be wrong here either.

    After she had already accumulated some absences, and before she was to accumulate more? Sure.
    But not before the fact.


    Avery’s parents say they did everything they could to persuade the school system. They created a portfolio of her musical achievements and academic record and drafted an independent study plan for the days she’d miss while touring ...

    But the school officials wouldn’t budge, ...
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  4. #154
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Irrelevant to what you quoted.

    So again.
    No they didn't. All they did was reverse their decision.

    Just because DCPS determined they were excusable doesn't make the absences right, or what the school did wrong, just excusable.


    From the article.

    But the school officials wouldn’t budge, even though the truancy law gives them the option to decide what an unexcused absence is. The law states that an excused absence can be “an emergency or other circumstances approved by an educational institution.”

    Do you, or do you not understand that the above allows them to decide how they choose? They can choose as they want. For or against. Neither is wrong.

    Changing their mind to make the absences approved does not say the original denial was wrong.



    Wrong.
    1.) We were discussing what the article said. And it does not say it was before the fact. So I was not wrong in that regard.

    2.) What you just provided does not say what you earlier alleged, as it is obviously after the fact of approval.
    "They arranged this well in advance, including providing the school with a complete study schedule for the girl before she left. "

    Now maybe "and worked to ensure completion of key school assignments during her travels." means the same as you are assuming "including providing the school with a complete study schedule for the girl before she left.", but for some reason I doubt it as the article said the "school officials wouldn’t budge".
    Which would indicate that the schools position on her absences was already known and your above quote is after the fact of the school changing their position.
    So the below quote was during the issue, not prior to the issue.
    So again. Not before the fact as I stated.
    So no I wouldn't be wrong here either.

    After she had already accumulated some absences, and before she was to accumulate more? Sure.
    But not before the fact.


    Avery’s parents say they did everything they could to persuade the school system. They created a portfolio of her musical achievements and academic record and drafted an independent study plan for the days she’d miss while touring ...

    But the school officials wouldn’t budge, ...
    The articles from earlier provides the information about how her parents provided her schedule on what she would be doing academically while overseas.

    What do you not understand about reading between the lines in this? The school was being stupid about their policies regarding this issue. In reality, she was likely never at risk of being charged with truancy, but that doesn't make the school right here since they admit to telling the parents verbally that they should disregard the written communications and phone calls that stated she was at risk for being charged or being referred to CPS (or however deals with such issues). They needed to provide the parents with something in writing saying that her absences were excused and she would not be charged or referred to anyone, rather than simply having the contradicting information being put out.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #155
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    The articles from earlier provides the information about how her parents provided her schedule on what she would be doing academically while overseas.
    Ah hello? It is in what you quoted. Which I used to show your previous comments wrong.


    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    What do you not understand about reading between the lines in this?
    Is that what you think you are doing? D'oh!


    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    The school was being stupid about their policies regarding this issue.
    There is that opinion again.
    Here is the counter opinion. No it wasn't stupid.
    Fact. They have every right to choose as they want.


    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    but that doesn't make the school right here since they admit to telling the parents verbally that they should disregard the written communications and phone calls that stated she was at risk for being charged or being referred to CPS (or however deals with such issues). They needed to provide the parents with something in writing saying that her absences were excused and she would not be charged or referred to anyone, rather than simply having the contradicting information being put out.
    More opinion. You thinking that would be nice of them to have done is irrelevant. She had emails, that should be sufficient.
    And as the DCPS has indicated that it had all been arraigned and fine and dandy with it, there was no reason for her to withdraw her daughter.
    So again, back to what I already indicated, something is not quite right here.

    Based on what has been said, I think this is more about opinionated activism than any real issue.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  6. #156
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Ah hello? It is in what you quoted. Which I used to show your previous comments wrong.

    Is that what you think you are doing? D'oh!

    There is that opinion again.
    Here is the counter opinion. No it wasn't stupid.
    Fact. They have every right to choose as they want.

    More opinion. You thinking that would be nice of them to have done is irrelevant. She had emails, that should be sufficient.
    And as the DCPS has indicated that it had all been arraigned and fine and dandy with it, there was no reason for her to withdraw her daughter.
    So again, back to what I already indicated, something is not quite right here.

    Based on what has been said, I think this is more about opinionated activism than any real issue.
    She had what sort of emails? Ones saying that she should just ignore any phone calls or paperwork?

    This is about the school should work on their system of recording absences and how they send out truancy notices rather than trying to redirect blame here. The issue wouldn't have come up if they had a better system in place for this. They dropped the ball and they should have admitted to it.

    In reality, I think the situation is dealt with satisfactorily for the girl at the moment but can understand her mother bringing it up for the reason she said she did, to try to fix the system for other parents so they don't have to go through these same hassles.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #157
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,763

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    Quote Originally Posted by Kushinator View Post
    His position is both incoherent and contradictory. In one post he rambles on about whether the school labeled her a star student, while in another he claims the school board was just in their initial decision even after he is presented evidence they reversed their decision.

    Authoritarians often struggle with both logic and ethics.
    Actually, one stems from the other. Authoritarians attempt to create logic which supports their lack of ethics.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  8. #158
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    They dropped the ball and they should have admitted to it.
    No they didn't.

    So again I must ask because you ignored it.

    Do you, or do you not understand that the above allows them to decide how they choose? They can choose as they want. For or against. Neither is wrong.

    Changing their mind to make the absences approved does not say the original denial was wrong.


    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    In reality, I think the situation is dealt with satisfactorily for the girl at the moment but can understand her mother bringing it up for the reason she said she did, to try to fix the system for other parents so they don't have to go through these same hassles.
    Bs! It is activism for special treatment
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  9. #159
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    I don't see a rational reason why this can't be excused so long as the kid keeps up with their studies. It's an excellent opportunity, an educational opportunity and something worthwhile. I'm curious to see what kind of things this school would consider excusable.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  10. #160
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,483

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    While you may believe that, that isn't how it works. Nor is that reasonable position for schools where parental participation is low.

    When students have to attend a certain number of days, legislators or school policy can and should dictate such.



    Yes she did.
    "Did" being the operative word here. 1 & 3, and because of 1 & 3, 5 also.
    That is the problem. They only care that her body was in the chair so they can make their money.

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •