Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 200

Thread: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

  1. #131
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    Quote Originally Posted by Kushinator View Post
    It being a school function or school sponsored activity is not the determining factor; it's a matter of magnitude with respect to the activity, school related or not.
    Says who? You?
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  2. #132
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Try answering my question first.
    Are you claiming she was a star student? Because you are apparently arguing again that which you say you are not.
    No, i am saying claims are substantiated. Whether or not she is a star student is irrelevant.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  3. #133
    I am the pretty one.
    TobyOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,320

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    You can always change the law. The public school system is mostly broken and corrupt - at least in major metropolitan areas. The longer you stay in public schools, the dumber you get compared to the rest of the world. This was from a study a number of years back but I doubt its changed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    It should be noted before anyone thinks about going that path that vouchers do not cover all of tuition or other required fees.

  4. #134
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Says who? You?
    Yes. Playing on an international level has benefited her more so than 10 days of underfunded public school.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  5. #135
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,453

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    When I was in Junior High there were many girls that practiced their ice skating in the morning and were allowed to miss the first two classes of the day.

    It was agreed upon beforehand so they were not truant.

    The same was true in this case. The school was notified by the parents the child was going to be absent that day, and that should have been the end of it.

    The school should not be in a position to decide which absence is excused and which are not.

    truant


    noun
    1.
    a student who stays away from school without permission.
    2.
    a person who shirks or neglects his or her duty.
    adjective
    3.
    absent from school without permission.
    4.
    neglectful of duty or responsibility; idle.
    5.
    of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a truant.


    This girl did not fall into any of these categories to be labeled as truant.

  6. #136
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    Quote Originally Posted by Kushinator View Post
    No, i am saying claims are substantiated. Whether or not she is a star student is irrelevant.

    Whether she is or isn't is relevant to what you commented to. So stop with your silly game.
    It has not been substantiated that she was to be treated as such, and the school did not call her one.
    Nor has it been substantiated that a star student should be treated differently than a regular student.
    So again, stop with your silly game.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  7. #137
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    Quote Originally Posted by Kushinator View Post
    Yes. Playing on an international level has benefited her more so than 10 days of underfunded public school.
    Funny!
    Still irrelevant.
    It is not a school function or school sponsored activity.
    Like you don't understand that it does not go on her academic record.
    Your argument is stupid.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  8. #138
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Funny!
    Still irrelevant.
    It is not a school function or school sponsored activity.
    Like you don't understand that it does not go on her academic record.
    Your argument is stupid.
    The school was offered discretion, and made an inferior decision, most likely on the basis of funding. Whether or not it was a school function/sponsored activity is irrelevant. School is about preparing youth for the future, and not following arbitrary guidelines.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  9. #139
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    The school should not be in a position to decide which absence is excused and which are not.
    While you may believe that, that isn't how it works. Nor is that reasonable position for schools where parental participation is low.

    When students have to attend a certain number of days, legislators or school policy can and should dictate such.



    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    truant

    noun
    1.
    a student who stays away from school without permission.
    2.
    a person who shirks or neglects his or her duty.
    adjective
    3.
    absent from school without permission.
    4.
    neglectful of duty or responsibility; idle.
    5.
    of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a truant.


    This girl did not fall into any of these categories to be labeled as truant.
    Yes she did.
    "Did" being the operative word here. 1 & 3, and because of 1 & 3, 5 also.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  10. #140
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    Quote Originally Posted by Kushinator View Post
    The school was offered discretion, and made an inferior decision, most likely on the basis of funding. Whether or not it was a school function/sponsored activity is irrelevant. School is about preparing youth for the future, and not following arbitrary guidelines.
    Where did you hear that the school is underfunded?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •