Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 200

Thread: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

  1. #121
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    Quote Originally Posted by Kushinator View Post
    I am not here to refute a basic subjective position on whether or not the girl in question is a "star student". Opinions are based upon support, none of which you have provided.
    That she is a star student has not been substantiated in any way, nor did the school declare her one. So go back to the original comment.


    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Washington Post
    In D.C., a 13-year-old piano prodigy is treated as a truant instead of a star student
    Why should she be treated like a star student?
    I mean really? I piano prodigy does not necessarily make one a Star student.


    That said.
    The parents should have removed her from that school and found one more amenable to her absences or home schooled her.


    edit: Just saw that they were home schooling.


    So again.
    Are you claiming she was a star student?
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  2. #122
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Likely?
    You are talking about that which you know not.

    DCPS excused Avery's absences for international travel last year after conversations with the family and her school, which was confirmed with Avery's parents by Andrea Allen, Director of Attendance and Support Services in DCPS' Office of Youth Engagement. Her attendance summary from last year reflects the "authorized school activity" excuse code for her performance–related absences.

    DCPS did not make a referral to a truancy officer, Child and Family Services Agency (CFSA) nor any government agency for intervention, since we had clear information regarding the circumstances of these absences. The family was never at risk for truancy prosecution.

    DCPS: Post column about piano prodigy is 'inaccurate'

    No!
    Just because you do not like what the school did does not mean it was wrong.
    There was no valid reason for them to excuse them in the first place.
    Just because DCPS determined they were excusable doesn't make the absences right, or what the school did wrong, just excusable.
    If they weren't marking her as excused, then their system is broken and needs to be fixed. There was no reason she should have been getting truancy notices and phone calls if they had excused her from school, as they claim they did, unless the system needs to be updated so that excused absences are not counted the same as unexcused absences and reported as possible truancy violations automatically.

    Petula Dvorak: No misrepresentation of piano prodigy

    I'm actually using information from the stories on this, not assumptions. So, if we go off that information, it still means the school was wrong in not simply admitting that their system was/is messed up and needs to be fixed, and then they need to actually do something to fix it.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    Quote Originally Posted by TobyOne View Post
    Parents, send your kids to private schools. If you can't afford one, lobby your representatives to support vouchers.
    It should be noted before anyone thinks about going that path that vouchers do not cover all of tuition or other required fees.

  4. #124
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    You have not shown it was wrong. All that can be shown is that they reversed their decision. That in no way makes the previous decision wrong. To claim such is ridiculous.
    The experiences gained from playing among the top talent in your age group, on an international stage, in front of thousands, are life changing. Ten days at an underfunded school... not so much.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  5. #125
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    That she is a star student has not been substantiated in any way.
    True or false: she is a straight-A student despite her absences.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  6. #126
    Sage

    Scrabaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,561

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    She should be treated the same as any other kid who has the same number of absences. Being a so-called prodigy should not entitle her to special treatment.

  7. #127
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    If they weren't marking her as excused, then their system is broken and needs to be fixed. There was no reason she should have been getting truancy notices and phone calls if they had excused her from school, as they claim they did, unless the system needs to be updated so that excused absences are not counted the same as unexcused absences and reported as possible truancy violations automatically.

    Petula Dvorak: No misrepresentation of piano prodigy

    I'm actually using information from the stories on this, not assumptions. So, if we go off that information, it still means the school was wrong in not simply admitting that their system was/is messed up and needs to be fixed, and then they need to actually do something to fix it.
    You are the one assuming here, by saying something you don't like and disagree with is wrong. That is your opinion. Regardless if it is shared by others.

    And you are accepting the reporters version of events as told by the parent. You can do that if you like, but there exists another side.
    And the school was not in the wrong for following their policy. Nor does it need to be fixed.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  8. #128
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    Quote Originally Posted by Kushinator View Post
    The experiences gained from playing among the top talent in your age group, on an international stage, in front of thousands, are life changing. Ten days at an underfunded school... not so much.
    Irrelevant as it is not a school function or school sponsored activity.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  9. #129
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Irrelevant as it is not a school function or school sponsored activity.
    It being a school function or school sponsored activity is not the determining factor; it's a matter of magnitude with respect to the activity, school related or not.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  10. #130
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: 13 Year Old Piano Prodigy Treated As Truant By Public School System

    Quote Originally Posted by Kushinator View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    That she is a star student has not been substantiated in any way, nor did the school declare her one. So go back to the original comment.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Washington Post
    In D.C., a 13-year-old piano prodigy is treated as a truant instead of a star student
    Why should she be treated like a star student?
    I mean really? I piano prodigy does not necessarily make one a Star student.


    That said.
    The parents should have removed her from that school and found one more amenable to her absences or home schooled her.


    edit: Just saw that they were home schooling.


    So again.
    Are you claiming she was a star student?
    True or false: she is a straight-A student despite her absences.
    Try answering my question first.
    Are you claiming she was a star student? Because you are apparently arguing again that which you say you are not.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •