Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 337

Thread: More than 100 teens swarm Memphis plaza, 'knocking out' shoppers

  1. #201
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: More than 100 teens swarm Memphis plaza, 'knocking out' shoppers

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    They all point at these supposed "growing trend" and "viral attacks" and whatnot.

    Violent crime has been decreasing for years.
    I'm sure that Kroger employee that had his teeth kicked down his throat for NO reason will take comfort on the stats.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #202
    Guru
    Gringo allstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Detroit area
    Last Seen
    07-27-17 @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,215

    Re: More than 100 teens swarm Memphis plaza, 'knocking out' shoppers

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    I lived in Memphis back in the late 90s. I lived in Midtown Memphis at the time. Midtown is the melting pot of Memphis. I liked living there. You won't find a more southern feeling city than Memphis. Poplar and Highland is the eastern edge of midtown. Back when I lived there, where this happened would have been a pretty good part of town. It's sad to see Memphis going down hill to the extent it has. I don't know how to say this other than just coming out and saying it. Back when I lived there in the late 90s, the city of Memphis was about 50% black and 50% or so white. Today it's 62% black and about 30% white. So you have a lot of white flight going on. Moreover, you have a lot of middle class black flight to the suburbs as well. If the city doesn't get a handle on its crime, poverty, and schools, it's going to be another Detroit in a decade.

    That said, I don't know what the solution is. Ultimately, mobs of violent teenagers is as much of a problem with bad parenting as it is with poor policing.
    I was there a couple years ago, and its just as bad as Detroit. My 9yr old daughter is in Love with Elvis Presley so on a trip thru the south we took her to
    Graceland. Well we got in late at night and stayed at a DaysInn I believe, the place was like a fortress! Gated and surrounded by barbed wire and video cameras. Anyways we decided to order a pizza and go pick it up around 11pm, and the pizza joint was located right on Elvis Presley Blvd. By the time we got to the pizza joint my daughter was absolutely terrified just from sitting in the backseat and viewing her surroundings on the ride there. She practically begged me not to get out of the vehicle to go inside and grab the pizza.. So that's Memphis from the view of a 9yr old girl who by the way is no stranger to Detroit.

  3. #203
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,321

    Re: More than 100 teens swarm Memphis plaza, 'knocking out' shoppers

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Probably not and that's even more sad. Black kids ****ing up other black kids is just so common place that nobody even thinks twice about it.
    I think the problem is that black on black crime is so common that its not sexy to the media anymore. But if it is a interracial story of any kind, the media is all over it because it is controversial.

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If you don't want your tax dollars to help the poor, then stop saying you want a country based on Christian values, because you don't." Jimmy Carter

  4. #204
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,419

    Re: More than 100 teens swarm Memphis plaza, 'knocking out' shoppers

    Quote Originally Posted by Gringo allstar View Post
    I was there a couple years ago, and its just as bad as Detroit. My 9yr old daughter is in Love with Elvis Presley so on a trip thru the south we took her to
    Graceland. Well we got in late at night and stayed at a DaysInn I believe, the place was like a fortress! Gated and surrounded by barbed wire and video cameras. Anyways we decided to order a pizza and go pick it up around 11pm, and the pizza joint was located right on Elvis Presley Blvd. By the time we got to the pizza joint my daughter was absolutely terrified just from sitting in the backseat and viewing her surroundings on the ride there. She practically begged me not to get out of the vehicle to go inside and grab the pizza.. So that's Memphis from the view of a 9yr old girl who by the way is no stranger to Detroit.
    Well to be fair if you were down around Graceland the whole time, then you were in the worst part of Memphis. Memphis isn't as bad as Detroit yet, and still has nice areas in Midtown and East Memphis, but its headed that way.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  5. #205
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: More than 100 teens swarm Memphis plaza, 'knocking out' shoppers

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    https://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2009/data/table_01.html

    Every form of crime decreasing. You want to prove that mob violence is bucking the trend? Provide evidence.
    Too bad it doesn't identify aggravated assault by age and you're using national data. Whether or not it's increasing or decreasing doesn't prove your point unfortunately. I'll stick with my previous statement here in #185.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  6. #206
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,845

    Re: More than 100 teens swarm Memphis plaza, 'knocking out' shoppers

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I'm sure that Kroger employee that had his teeth kicked down his throat for NO reason will take comfort on the stats.
    Yeah, that poor guy had a rough day. So that excuses CNN inflating fears with crime trends that don't exist, I guess.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #207
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,697

    Re: More than 100 teens swarm Memphis plaza, 'knocking out' shoppers

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    If large gangs of skinhead whites were to go on a rampage against blacks, there would be a zillion threads on it right now instead of one, and the discussion would be sure to stretch into many weeks.
    That's true but, in all fairness, this appears to be less an "attack on whites" than it was a good old fashioned rampage where the white victim was merely a target of opportunity.

  8. #208
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: More than 100 teens swarm Memphis plaza, 'knocking out' shoppers

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I'm sure that Kroger employee that had his teeth kicked down his throat for NO reason will take comfort on the stats.
    The stats are what they are. The fact is violent crime HAS been decreasing. Just because it is decreasing doesn't mean the violent crime that DOES happen isn't bad.

    You're trying to use an emotional appeal to deflect from the stats that violent crime has been decreasing.

  9. #209
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,419

    Re: More than 100 teens swarm Memphis plaza, 'knocking out' shoppers

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Too bad it doesn't identify aggravated assault by age and you're using national data. Whether or not it's increasing or decreasing doesn't prove your point unfortunately. I'll stick with my previous statement here in #185.
    The violent crime rate in Memphis has been stubbornly high for decades now. It is as high today as it was back in the early 90s. The majority of major cities have become a lot safer over the last 20 years. Memphis is one of the few cities that has not. Cities like Houston, LA, New York, and even Chicago have seen dramatic reductions in violent crime over the last 20 years (not quite as dramatic in Chicago).

    Basically we are starting to get some "failed states" within this country. While most cities have improved dramatically, cities like Saint Louis, Memphis, Detroit, and Birmingham have all remained bad or gotten a lot worse.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  10. #210
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: More than 100 teens swarm Memphis plaza, 'knocking out' shoppers

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Yeah, that poor guy had a rough day. So that excuses CNN inflating fears with crime trends that don't exist, I guess.
    As previously stated, more people need to have information on how to identify, avoid and report large groups of potentially violent people. The more innocent people know about it, the less likely they will be injured or killed or permanently disabled by them.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •