Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 45

Thread: Stephen Hawking: God particle could wipe out the universe

  1. #31
    Guru
    Gringo allstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Detroit area
    Last Seen
    07-27-17 @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,215

    Re: Stephen Hawking: God particle could wipe out the universe

    Quote Originally Posted by AJiveMan View Post
    I worrry about assteriods all the time.
    Its not a question of if, its a question of when! There is definitely a big one out there with our name on it.

  2. #32
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,741

    Re: Stephen Hawking: God particle could wipe out the universe

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    with all due respect to the great Hawking, he's off his rocker. There are way more powerful forces in the universe than an Earth sized particle accelerator could ever hope to generate.

    Tim-
    Listen. This man understands the Higgs field better than you do.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #33
    Paying To Play
    AJiveMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    wisconSIN
    Last Seen
    05-15-15 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,775

    Re: Stephen Hawking: God particle could wipe out the universe

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Well I was thinking mainly of Quasars, and GRB's, and of course the center of a BH.

    But yeah asteroids a big threat.


    Tim-
    I'm kinda concerned with super colliders, one not too far from my neck of the woods. What will happen? Why was the program stopped, what was discovered?
    on nuclear,
    I watched a special on television not too long ago about their experimenting with nuclear devices, and what they didn't know at the time (Bikini Islands)

    If a Chilean earthquake can make the earth lose 1/2 second off of world clocks, what did nuclear devices do? what can they do?

    Chilean quake shortened Earth's day, but not by much - Los Angeles Times

    Humans seem to be pushing the envelope. Now spacecraft sent to objects hurling through space to drill on them. Like to see them try that with Haley's Comet.

  4. #34
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Stephen Hawking: God particle could wipe out the universe

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Listen. This man understands the Higgs field better than you do.
    Maybe, well probably, but then again my life isn't dedicated 24/7 to physics, especially quantum physics, but the time I do have I spend a lot of it on exactly that. Add in genetic research and porn surfing, and that takes up about all of my free time. All my other time is spent on my family and work.

    That said (With tongue firmly placed in cheek), the energy needed to power an Earth sized particle accelerator would be enormous. What goes on inside the center of a BH would be way more energy than we could ever hope to generate, not to mention that a GRB deposits particles at the speed of light, and quasars are the most powerful ting we've ever measured in the universe to date, so, yeah, I think the great Stephen Hawking might have missed on this one. Wouldn't be the first time he was wrong.


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  5. #35
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,922

    Re: Stephen Hawking: God particle could wipe out the universe

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I would go to a GOP event if a big band like Pink Floyd were playing live.
    Pink Floyds ok, don't know if I would go to a GOP event for him. I might be persuaded if it were AC/DC.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  6. #36
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,224

    Re: Stephen Hawking: God particle could wipe out the universe

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    The math said there should be a particle that behaves this way. We called it the Higgs boson.
    We found a particle that behaves this way. It's the Higgs boson because it behaves like a Higgs boson.

    NO, the Higgs Field was first theorized back in 1964 by theoretical physicists.

    If MATHEMATICS " told us there had a to be a Higgs field " then it would not still be a THEORY.

    The particle CERN found behaved like the Higgs Boson but couldn't definitively called the Higgs Boson because they could not prove that's what they saw.

    When they released their findings in front of a group of some of the worlds top physicists the first thing they said was " we think we found it "

  7. #37
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,741

    Re: Stephen Hawking: God particle could wipe out the universe

    Quote Originally Posted by AJiveMan View Post
    I'm kinda concerned with super colliders, one not too far from my neck of the woods. What will happen? Why was the program stopped, what was discovered?
    on nuclear,
    I watched a special on television not too long ago about their experimenting with nuclear devices, and what they didn't know at the time (Bikini Islands)

    If a Chilean earthquake can make the earth lose 1/2 second off of world clocks, what did nuclear devices do? what can they do?

    Chilean quake shortened Earth's day, but not by much - Los Angeles Times

    Humans seem to be pushing the envelope. Now spacecraft sent to objects hurling through space to drill on them. Like to see them try that with Haley's Comet.
    Earthquakes involve forces orders of magnitude larger than nukes.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #38
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,741

    Re: Stephen Hawking: God particle could wipe out the universe

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Maybe, well probably, but then again my life isn't dedicated 24/7 to physics, especially quantum physics, but the time I do have I spend a lot of it on exactly that. Add in genetic research and porn surfing, and that takes up about all of my free time. All my other time is spent on my family and work.

    That said (With tongue firmly placed in cheek), the energy needed to power an Earth sized particle accelerator would be enormous. What goes on inside the center of a BH would be way more energy than we could ever hope to generate, not to mention that a GRB deposits particles at the speed of light, and quasars are the most powerful ting we've ever measured in the universe to date, so, yeah, I think the great Stephen Hawking might have missed on this one. Wouldn't be the first time he was wrong.


    Tim-

    So, when he says that at 100 billion electron gigavolts that the particle might develop metastable properties, you know what the **** he's talking about? Because I don't.

    I'm thinking the difference is that while a black hole involves a greater amount of energy, it's not applying all of it to a single particle.
    Last edited by Deuce; 09-08-14 at 05:47 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Stephen Hawking: God particle could wipe out the universe

    Quote Originally Posted by AJiveMan View Post
    yah, yah, yah, it's the spelling Nazis.
    Corectly spelling the wrong word is grammar, not spelling

  10. #40
    Paying To Play
    AJiveMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    wisconSIN
    Last Seen
    05-15-15 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,775

    Re: Stephen Hawking: God particle could wipe out the universe

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Earthquakes involve forces orders of magnitude larger than nukes.
    I don't know about that. Look how many people were killed in Japan w/ two nukes. Look how many building structures were flattened.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •