Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 115

Thread: Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Added Just 142,000 Jobs In August, Unemployment Down To 6.1

  1. #31
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:58 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,718

    Re: Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Added Just 142,000 Jobs In August, Unemployment Down To

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Primarily due to....a lack of well paying full time jobs.

    Any solutions?
    how about stop hitting companies with overburdening regulations that drive them out of business?
    how about getting rid of obamacare that causes companies that would like to expand to more than 50 employee's to not to because they can't afford obamacare?

    there are a ton of things that could be done to get jobs going but well this administration has proven to be against any and all logic that means more jobs.

    we have to sock it to those evil 1%er's.

  2. #32
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Added Just 142,000 Jobs In August, Unemployment Down To

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    In response to todays dismal jobs #s the LA Times said we should spend more on " infrastructure and education ".......

    Wow.
    Yeah, it's almost as if they're listening to economists.
    Last edited by a351; 09-06-14 at 09:07 AM.

  3. #33
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Added Just 142,000 Jobs In August, Unemployment Down To

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Why always such attitude from Obamaland?

    I don't believe the graph any more than anything else to come out of this administration.

    And if you don't know what it is I am trying to say, don't expect "someone" to do your work for you.

    Thanks for playing but I am really tired of the attitude.
    That you believe the jobs figures to stem from the Administration itself speaks to your ignorance of the subject. The BLS is an independent entity, as it has been during any other Presidency.

  4. #34
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Added Just 142,000 Jobs In August, Unemployment Down To

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    how about stop hitting companies with overburdening regulations that drive them out of business?
    how about getting rid of obamacare that causes companies that would like to expand to more than 50 employee's to not to because they can't afford obamacare?

    there are a ton of things that could be done to get jobs going but well this administration has proven to be against any and all logic that means more jobs.

    we have to sock it to those evil 1%er's.
    I see, regulations....and health care reforms...are causing demand restrictions.

    As usual, supply-siders can't identify the issue within the economy.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,321

    Re: Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Added Just 142,000 Jobs In August, Unemployment Down To

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Of course....the solution is to cut govt spending further, what we need is less spending all around, which everyone knows creates employment.

    Yea the St Louis Fed came out and blamed the continued economic misery on people " hoarding " their money.

    Wow.

    I wonder WHY people aren't spending ? Could it be they've lost confidence in our economy ?

    And advocating fiscal stimulus as a solution after Japan's failed 10 Trillion Yen attempt to right their economy in the 90s takes a special kind of blind allegiance

    They even spent loads of that stimulus on " INFRASTRUCTURE ".... Lol

  6. #36
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Added Just 142,000 Jobs In August, Unemployment Down To

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    As usual, if you look at the household data (which is different then the headline numbers), you get a more detailed picture.

    Employment Situation Summary

    Table A-9. Selected employment indicators

    Employment Situation Summary Table B. Establishment data, seasonally adjusted


    The household data says:

    - only 16,000 more people were employed in August

    - if you look at the full/part time totals, 127,000 more people were working full time, but 327,000 less people were working part time for a total of 200,000 less people were employed in August (I bet the White House won't be touting those numbers).

    - since April, only 201,000 more people are employed full time...under 51,000 per month on average.

    - manufacturing had 0 more people employed in August over July.


    Anyone that thinks these are numbers indicative of a healthy economy do not, IMO, know what they are talking about.
    The full time job growth rate is disappointing, but the sooner that we get to 5% unemployment, regardless of whether it is full time or part time jobs and regardless of if it is only because people drop out of the labor force, the sooner that we will see wages increasing.

    The reason I say that is because most economists believe that 5% is "full employment". If that is correct, then once we drop below that level it will become more of a workers market than an employers market, and employers will have to start competing harder for good workers.

    If employers start increasing compensation, then it should draw some people back into the work force. Also, I would think that if a lot of part time workers would prefer full time employment, then employers would also start competing for workers by giving those part timers more work hours. Of course if this happens, we have so many part timers and so many who have left the work force, that the unemployment rate may stagnate right around the 5% level for many years to come - regardless of which party controls congress or who is POTUS.

    The good news about stagnation of the unemployment rate is that it means we may have many more years of slow but steady growth to come, which significantly reduces the possibility of an over heated economy (bubble) ending with a significant recession. Statistically, the next presidential term would probably be about the right time for another cyclical recession, but this particular economy may be able to avoid that for a long long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  7. #37
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,321

    Re: Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Added Just 142,000 Jobs In August, Unemployment Down To

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    I see, regulations....and health care reforms...are causing demand restrictions.

    As usual, supply-siders can't identify the issue within the economy.

    LOL !!

    The Keynesians are blaming it on a cartoon characterization of the richest 1 percent.

    Its hillarious ! The existence of rich people in our society, ( Because you know, they've never existed before ) is causing our economic misery.

  8. #38
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Added Just 142,000 Jobs In August, Unemployment Down To

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    In response to todays dismal jobs #s the LA Times said we should spend more on " infrastructure and education ".......

    Wow.
    And worse infrastructure and education would result in more jobs?
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  9. #39
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,321

    Re: Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Added Just 142,000 Jobs In August, Unemployment Down To

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    The full time job growth rate is disappointing, but the sooner that we get to 5% unemployment, regardless of whether it is full time or part time jobs and regardless of if it is only because people drop out of the labor force, the sooner that we will see wages increasing.

    The reason I say that is because most economists believe that 5% is "full employment". If that is correct, then once we drop below that level it will become more of a workers market than an employers market, and employers will have to start competing harder for good workers.

    If employers start increasing compensation, then it should draw some people back into the work force. Also, I would think that if a lot of part time workers would prefer full time employment, then employers would also start competing for workers by giving those part timers more work hours. Of course if this happens, we have so many part timers and so many who have left the work force, that the unemployment rate may stagnate right around the 5% level for many years to come - regardless of which party controls congress or who is POTUS.

    The good news about stagnation of the unemployment rate is that it means we may have many more years of slow but steady growth to come, which significantly reduces the possibility of an over heated economy (bubble) ending with a significant recession. Statistically, the next presidential term would probably be about the right time for another cyclical recession, but this particular economy may be able to avoid that for a long long time.

    5 percent is " full employment " ??

    The unemployment rate without the context of the Labor participation rate is meaningless.

  10. #40
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Added Just 142,000 Jobs In August, Unemployment Down To

    I find no disappointment with a jobs report that is 882,000 better than each of the six months average beginning in Nov. 2008.
    54 straight months of private sector job growth seems to have been forgotten by certain posters.
    Since the President doesn't know how to brag and bluster like the last one.

    Even when we hit +288,000, GOP/FOX and friends could only poke holes in the good news as they moved the goalposts to 300,000 .
    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    The full time job growth rate is disappointing, but the sooner that we get to 5% unemployment, regardless of whether it is full time or part time jobs and regardless of if it is only because people drop out of the labor force, the sooner that we will see wages increasing.

    The reason I say that is because most economists believe that 5% is "full employment". If that is correct, then once we drop below that level it will become more of a workers market than an employers market, and employers will have to start competing harder for good workers.

    If employers start increasing compensation, then it should draw some people back into the work force. Also, I would think that if a lot of part time workers would prefer full time employment, then employers would also start competing for workers by giving those part timers more work hours. Of course if this happens, we have so many part timers and so many who have left the work force, that the unemployment rate may stagnate right around the 5% level for many years to come - regardless of which party controls congress or who is POTUS.

    The good news about stagnation of the unemployment rate is that it means we may have many more years of slow but steady growth to come, which significantly reduces the possibility of an over heated economy (bubble) ending with a significant recession. Statistically, the next presidential term would probably be about the right time for another cyclical recession, but this particular economy may be able to avoid that for a long long time.
    Physics is Phun

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •