Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Detroit-area man gets 17 years in porch shooting

  1. #1
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,756

    Detroit-area man gets 17 years in porch shooting

    Wafer was convicted last month after a nine-day trial that centered on whether the 55-year-old had a reasonable and honest belief that he was in peril. He testified that he was awakened by pounding on his doors and shot McBride because he feared for his life. A jury rejected his claim of self-defense.
    A good sentence, which places limits on stand your ground. If you kill someone merely because you are paranoid, then you will do time. In order for stand your ground to prevail, there must be an acutal threat, which there wasn't in this case. There is a difference between someone using a gun to defend himself and a coward who hides behind a gun, and I hope this sentence makes cowards think twice before doing something they will regret for the rest of their lives.

    Article is here.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #2
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:55 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,949

    Re: Detroit-area man gets 17 years in porch shooting

    He got off lightly.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #3
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Detroit-area man gets 17 years in porch shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    A good sentence, which places limits on stand your ground. If you kill someone merely because you are paranoid, then you will do time. In order for stand your ground to prevail, there must be an acutal threat, which there wasn't in this case. There is a difference between someone using a gun to defend himself and a coward who hides behind a gun, and I hope this sentence makes cowards think twice before doing something they will regret for the rest of their lives.

    Article is here.
    I thought the problem wit the defense was that he originalyl told the cops that the gun went off accidentally. If he had truly been scared for his life and not made that initial comment, he most likely would have gotten off under self defense laws.

    Basically, it sounds like it was a good decision (manslaughter), but doesn't have much to do with limiting self defense as claimed in the OP.

  4. #4
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Detroit-area man gets 17 years in porch shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    I thought the problem wit the defense was that he originalyl told the cops that the gun went off accidentally. If he had truly been scared for his life and not made that initial comment, he most likely would have gotten off under self defense laws.

    Basically, it sounds like it was a good decision (manslaughter), but doesn't have much to do with limiting self defense as claimed in the OP.
    Exactly.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  5. #5
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Detroit-area man gets 17 years in porch shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    A good sentence, which places limits on stand your ground. If you kill someone merely because you are paranoid, then you will do time. In order for stand your ground to prevail, there must be an acutal threat, which there wasn't in this case.
    Article is here.
    I'm not sure there must be an actual threat, but there must be a reasonable expectation that there is a real threat, which prompts the person to shoot in self-defense. Subtle but significant.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  6. #6
    Professor
    herenow1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    12-11-15 @ 11:07 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,686

    Re: Detroit-area man gets 17 years in porch shooting

    Why does it seem like those who weren't plotting or being malicious get time, or more time than ppl like Zimmerman??

  7. #7
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,899

    Re: Detroit-area man gets 17 years in porch shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
    Why does it seem like those who weren't plotting or being malicious get time, or more time than ppl like Zimmerman??
    Though I would have convicted Zimmerman of involuntary manslaughter, Zimmerman could at least articulate an actual threat, and there was a reasonable expectation that the threat in question was real.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Detroit-area man gets 17 years in porch shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Though I would have convicted Zimmerman of involuntary manslaughter, Zimmerman could at least articulate an actual threat, and there was a reasonable expectation that the threat in question was real.


    There was no involuntary manslaughter involved. It was self defense.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  9. #9
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Detroit-area man gets 17 years in porch shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
    Why does it seem like those who weren't plotting or being malicious get time, or more time than ppl like Zimmerman??
    Zimmerman clearly acted in self defense. So why shouldn't those convicted serve more time?
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •