Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 335

Thread: Poll: 71 percent say keep Redskin

  1. #261
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,619

    Re: Poll: 71 percent say keep Redskin

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Nordic is not a race.

    You think Nordic = white people?
    Oh Ironic straw man. I responded to your argument about the warrior stereotype and your only lame response is to try and start another fight about race.

    To Recap: You were talking about the Redskins logo being a stereotype because it depicted a warrior. I was pointing out to you how stupid your argument is because football is soaked in warrior culture and terminology. It is why the Viking Helmet has a Viking WARRIOR and not a Viking berry picker.

    This knee jerk assumption on your part that any statement must be racial in nature, even when you have to get their by ignoring your own argument, should come as a surprise to exactly nobody.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  2. #262
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: Poll: 71 percent say keep Redskin

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    .
    Is Nordic a race? No. Off-topic.


    Next.

  3. #263
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,619

    Re: Poll: 71 percent say keep Redskin

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Is Nordic a race? No. Off-topic.


    Next.
    Ahahahahah!! After I call you on your idiotic race-filter and point out that the "stereotype" of the Redskins warrior is a product of the NFL culture your decide to scrap the stereotype argument and stick ONLY to race. Typical.

    But, back to the logo: A brief history of the origin of Indian iconography is sports.

    Summary: In the 1930s when the Redskins were formed the American Indian was seen in the popular culture and extremely gifted athletically and as warriors. This, in my own estimation, was connected to the mega stardom of Jim Thorpe in the 1910s and 1920s. To this day Thorpe is considered to be one of the greatest athletes of all time, and probably single handedly launched the Indian athlete craze of the 1930s.

    Many teams picked Indian mascots in that era because of that cultural wave. Marshall, unlike other teams that simply used an Indian name, built his team around Indian players, and while many other teams increasingly went cartoonish in their mascots, the Redskins remained one of the only teams to keep the more dignified iconography.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  4. #264
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: Poll: 71 percent say keep Redskin

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Ahahahahah!!
    I'll take that as "Nordic is not a race, you're right it's different".

  5. #265
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,619

    Re: Poll: 71 percent say keep Redskin

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    I'll take that as "Nordic is not a race, you're right it's different".
    I never claimed it was, ya dufus! I am pointing out that football mascots and culture are steeped in warrior terminology and imagery and that that has nothing to do with race.

    You could just as moronically claim that every time a football player is called a warrior that the announcer is just stereotyping whatever race the player happens to be. Actually, you'd probably do just that.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  6. #266
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: Poll: 71 percent say keep Redskin

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    I never claimed it was, ya dufus!
    Then it's off topic as a matter of scale.

  7. #267
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,343

    Re: Poll: 71 percent say keep Redskin

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    I never claimed it was, ya dufus! I am pointing out that football mascots and culture are steeped in warrior terminology and imagery and that that has nothing to do with race.

    You could just as moronically claim that every time a football player is called a warrior that the announcer is just stereotyping whatever race the player happens to be. Actually, you'd probably do just that.
    If you can't restrict your discussion to the narrow topic that certain posters want to restrict it to, then you are wasting your time. Apparently stereotypes are only "marginalizing" when they are racial and anything else is off THEIR topic regardless of the inconsistency.

  8. #268
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,619

    Re: Poll: 71 percent say keep Redskin

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Then it's off topic as a matter of scale.
    My comment was completely on your chosen tangent of the particular iconography being a stereotype of the group. I pointed out many times now that the warrior iconography is simply part of the culture of football in general. No matter what group a team selects as its mascot you can bet that the iconography will be of a warrior of that group. In fact, it doesn't matter WHAT the mascot is, it's a good bet it will be a fighting version, be it a gamecock, a turkey, a turtle or an Irishman.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  9. #269
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,619

    Re: Poll: 71 percent say keep Redskin

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    If you can't restrict your discussion to the narrow topic that certain posters want to restrict it to, then you are wasting your time. Apparently stereotypes are only "marginalizing" when they are racial and anything else is off THEIR topic regardless of the inconsistency.
    Yeah, the baffling thing here is that I wasn't even off THEIR topic!
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  10. #270
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,343

    Re: Poll: 71 percent say keep Redskin

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Yeah, the baffling thing here is that I wasn't even off THEIR topic!
    I understand your point which include some aspects I hadn't considered. I can see a time when someday the name will be changed, but some people are just hard to have a discussion with, so it is best to stop trying after a while.

Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •