Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 335

Thread: Poll: 71 percent say keep Redskin

  1. #241
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,435

    Re: Poll: 71 percent say keep Redskin

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Greetings, ecofarm.

    I personally don't agree that stereotyping is always bad. It's a little off the wall, but as an example, Spock from Star Trek was a Vulcan, and they were admired as a culture because they were totally logical in everything they did. Everyone in the universe knew this, and often called upon them to handle problems because of their honesty and lack of ego. This was only a make-believe TV series, but the point was made. Being stereotyped as "different" can be advantageous at times.
    Every Vulcan that was not "pure logic and reason" is marginalized. But wait... there are no Vulcans like that, and that's where your fictional analogy fails.

    It's not a stereotype. Vulcans actually were all like that.


    Got any real life example of racial stereotyping not resulting in the marginalization of those left out? No, you don't, because that's what stereotyping does.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 09-03-14 at 12:22 AM.

  2. #242
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,356

    Re: Poll: 71 percent say keep Redskin

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Every Vulcan that was not "pure logic and reason" is marginalized. But wait... there are no Vulcans like that, and that's where your fictional analogy fails.

    It's not a stereotype. Vulcans actually were all like that.
    I know - I tried to make that distinction. It would be kind of nice if we had one or two of them around, though, to counteract the dramatists in our government who seem to operate only on emotion! Maybe we'd get something accomplished, instead of the arguing and gridlock on both sides that we put up with!

    Time for me to call it a day. Be well.

  3. #243
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,435

    Re: Poll: 71 percent say keep Redskin

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    I know - I tried to make that distinction. It would be kind of nice if we had one or two of them around, though, to counteract the dramatists in our government who seem to operate only on emotion! Maybe we'd get something accomplished, instead of the arguing and gridlock on both sides that we put up with!

    Time for me to call it a day. Be well.
    I don't blame you for giving it a shot, in the interest of exploring the subject. But the only time racial stereotypes don't hurt people is when they're actually true for everyone of the race (which is then not a stereotype but a racial trait).

  4. #244
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Poll: 71 percent say keep Redskin

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Let me know when you hear from them.
    Do you think they all have the same opinion?


    Native Americans, like all Americans, have lots of different opinions.

  5. #245
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,571

    Re: Poll: 71 percent say keep Redskin

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    You don't think the whole 'war paint' thing stereotypes Native Americans? It's not like their name is 'warriors' or 'braves', it's Redskins.

    The name clearly stereotypes Native Americans as militant warriors, while that's not the truth about all NAs then or now.
    Funny thing is, the Indians did not call it "War Paint." They painted their bodies for all kinds of things. But we only got close enough to see it when fighting them, so we called it War Paint.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  6. #246
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,435

    Re: Poll: 71 percent say keep Redskin

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    Funny thing is, the Indians did not call it "War Paint." They painted their bodies for all kinds of things. But we only got close enough to see it when fighting them, so we called it War Paint.
    The paint worn in regard to the Redskins is, obviously, intended to be war paint.

    Are you claiming the Redskins do not depict NA warriors?

  7. #247
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,571

    Re: Poll: 71 percent say keep Redskin

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    The paint worn in regard to the Redskins is, obviously, intended to be war paint.

    Are you claiming the Redskins do not depict NA warriors?
    I guess it could be for anything, unless the consulted an Indian tribe to make sure it was for war.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  8. #248
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,435

    Re: Poll: 71 percent say keep Redskin

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    I guess it could be for anything, unless the consulted an Indian tribe to make sure it was for war.
    I guess anything can be for anything, but we're talking about a football team with a fight song whose 'unofficial' mascot carries a tomahawk. Their previous logos included a spear. The owner used to make the coach dress up in "war paint" (his words).

    It's pretty ****ing obvious the image being portrayed here.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 09-03-14 at 01:50 AM.

  9. #249
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,387

    Re: Poll: 71 percent say keep Redskin

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Do you have a problem reading? I said your position, that of supporting racial stereotyping, is racist.
    Looking back through this entire thread, it is you who has been the most belligerent in your position. You have your point of view which you have made in the following ways:

    racial stereotyping is bad for society.
    That's just a fact they marginalize those not included
    Because stereotyping a race is wrong, it marginalizes those left out.
    Let me know when you understand racial stereotypes are bad for society.
    Racial stereotypes always marginalize those left out and thereby serve oppression and the suppression of potential and contributions.
    Racial stereotypes are inherently bad for society.

    You have done nothing to prove these points and any discussion has belittled those who engaged you in that discussion. You have referred to yourself in the collective sense of being "enlightended" and "smart" and those who you disagree with collectively as:

    ignorant, stupid, racist, deny having common sense.beyond stupid, Stop playing stupid. just stupid lack of capability

    You are supportive of stereotypes in general but not one based on race. Perhaps that doesn't cause any cognitive dissonance in you, but it would in me.

    And finally, you toss around the racist word like you actually know what it means. You assert that
    supporting racial stereotyping, is racist.
    but saying someone who does that is not calling them racist. Here is a good definition of racism from Websters: " a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race" and by extension that other races are inherently inferior. I don't believe in this as I treat everyone as individuals.

    Your interaction with me has been simplistic and in my opinion, emotional or juvenile. Your question: "Do you support racial stereotypes?" is vague and as deceitful as the question: "are you still beating your wife?" They are both simple yes or no questions after all. Sorry, but they aren't.

    And this is from someone who doesn't necessarily disagree with your position, if you actually went back and read my original post on this thread.

  10. #250
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,459
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Poll: 71 percent say keep Redskin

    I vote to change their name to Foreskins. Kinda sounds the same, and like that piece of penis skin, useless as ****.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •