Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 81 to 83 of 83

Thread: Civil disobedience expected in fast-food pay fight

  1. #81
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,969

    Re: Civil disobedience expected in fast-food pay fight

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Ii also often wonder why people REMAIN in those jobs rather than using them to develop more skills and move on or up?
    Easy answer: they want to get paid more for doing less. The government has fostered an entitlement generation where hard work means nothing and getting free money is everything.

  2. #82
    Educator

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 12:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Civil disobedience expected in fast-food pay fight

    Quote Originally Posted by JumpinJack View Post
    The point being...there is more than enough room in that business model to raise wages. I'm tired of hearing, "But they'll increase the price of my whopper-dopper!" They don't need to. In another country, they wouldn't. But HERE, where it's a free for all for the wealthy, they cry foul at the prospect of paying a living wage.

    Yeah, there's something wrong in our country when there is a fast food joint at every intersection, and the majority of our citizens are overweight. Increasing wages (which still are LOW wages) might help prevent even more of those things from opening.

    My belief: If you can't afford to pay decent wages, you can't afford to be in business. If you rely on illegal immigrant slave labor for your business, then you don't really have a viable business in this country.

    Colluding to pay poverty wages in a certain area of business is not an ethical business practice. You believe in the free market? Then let's have it free. A base min. wage, then anyone who wants to pay MORE can! Starbucks does. Whole Foods does. And they have applicants waiting in line to work there, and HUGE profits.

    It's good for business, it's good for the community, and it's good for the country to have workers paid decently. That's what the free market is all about. Ain't nothin' "free market" about collusion.
    I am so glad you brought up McDonalds business model. I didn't see you cite any sources or show any figures when you stated "there is more than enough room in their business model to raise wages." You stated this as a fact, however it is not a fact. It is how you feel. Which is why liberals so rarely provide factual citation to their argument. You can't support feeling with fact. Here are some facts:

    -85% of McDonalds restaurants are franchises. This means that they are locally owned small businesses.
    - It costs the business owner between $685,750 - $1,504,000 to open a new McDonalds location.0
    - Only 60% of the startup can be borrowed. The rest has to come from the owner's personal capital.
    - The average McDonalds brings in 2 million per year in revenue (this is the average of all McDonalds including corporate stores and franchises)
    - The net profit averages 6-8%

    7 percent of 2 million is $140,000 (before taxes). If it costs an average of 1 million to open a McDonalds, then the projected ROI (return on investment) is 14% (140000/1,000,000). Hardly a huge return, especially considering the risk you take in opening a new business- one that has to compete not only with every other fast food restaurant, but also with every other local McDonalds. After taxes, that 140,000 becomes 92,400 assuming top bracket. This is a very modest income for a business owner.

    Given these numbers, how can you state that there is "more than enough room in the business model to raise the wages?" The last link at the bottom shows an actual P&L from a $2.7 million dollar McDonalds location.

    Here are my sources:

    Google: How much does it cost to open a McDonalds?

    https://www.businessfranchise.com/fr...directory/260/

    McDonald's Dividend Depends On How Well Its Franchisees Do - McDonald's Corporation (NYSE:MCD) | Seeking Alpha
    "We need to ask some very tough questions of the senator from Illinois. It's not enough to be black, it's not enough to be articulate, it's not enough to be eloquent and a media darling. The only question will be how deaf an ear, or how blind an eye will people turn in order to turn a frog into a prince." -Eddie Huff

  3. #83
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: Civil disobedience expected in fast-food pay fight

    Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze483 View Post
    I am so glad you brought up McDonalds business model. I didn't see you cite any sources or show any figures when you stated "there is more than enough room in their business model to raise wages." You stated this as a fact, however it is not a fact. It is how you feel. Which is why liberals so rarely provide factual citation to their argument. You can't support feeling with fact. Here are some facts:

    -85% of McDonalds restaurants are franchises. This means that they are locally owned small businesses.
    - It costs the business owner between $685,750 - $1,504,000 to open a new McDonalds location.0
    - Only 60% of the startup can be borrowed. The rest has to come from the owner's personal capital.
    - The average McDonalds brings in 2 million per year in revenue (this is the average of all McDonalds including corporate stores and franchises)
    - The net profit averages 6-8%

    7 percent of 2 million is $140,000 (before taxes). If it costs an average of 1 million to open a McDonalds, then the projected ROI (return on investment) is 14% (140000/1,000,000). Hardly a huge return, especially considering the risk you take in opening a new business- one that has to compete not only with every other fast food restaurant, but also with every other local McDonalds. After taxes, that 140,000 becomes 92,400 assuming top bracket. This is a very modest income for a business owner.

    Given these numbers, how can you state that there is "more than enough room in the business model to raise the wages?" The last link at the bottom shows an actual P&L from a $2.7 million dollar McDonalds location.

    Here are my sources:

    Google: How much does it cost to open a McDonalds?

    https://www.businessfranchise.com/fr...directory/260/

    McDonald's Dividend Depends On How Well Its Franchisees Do - McDonald's Corporation (NYSE:MCD) | Seeking Alpha
    Oh but you get all the great french fries you want!

    LOL I loved that in The Blind Side, where they kept bringing home Taco Bell, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •