Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 LastLast
Results 441 to 450 of 467

Thread: Police officer resigns, another is fired after Ferguson incidents[W:76]

  1. #441
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Police officer resigns, another is fired after Ferguson incidents[W:76]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    In New York - my home state and the state whose laws I am most familiar with - you do not. Deadly physical force is only authorized in if one reasonably believes that deadly physical force is about to be used against them and has no means to safely escape. The escape part applies in your home as well btw. I'd guess many states are similar.
    19 states have a Duty To Retreat either by statute or precedent: Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Arkansas, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, Wisconsin, Hawaii and Wyoming. Most states do not require you to try to flee before using deadly force in your home or car. Most of the legal grey area exists while you are in a public space.

  2. #442
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,441

    Re: Police officer resigns, another is fired after Ferguson incidents[W:76]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    19 states have a Duty To Retreat either by statute or precedent: Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Arkansas, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, Wisconsin, Hawaii and Wyoming. Most states do not require you to try to flee before using deadly force in your home or car. Most of the legal grey area exists while you are in a public space.
    As a practical matter trying to flee in one's own home can be difficult, especially at night when someone comes in through the front door. The floor plan for my house makes it impossible in most circumstances.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  3. #443
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Police officer resigns, another is fired after Ferguson incidents[W:76]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    As a practical matter trying to flee in one's own home can be difficult, especially at night when someone comes in through the front door. The floor plan for my house makes it impossible in most circumstances.
    And yet the law of your state requires you to just 'figure it out' or go to prison. That's why imo Duty To Retreat laws are downright draconian.

  4. #444
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,690

    Re: Police officer resigns, another is fired after Ferguson incidents[W:76]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    In New York - my home state and the state whose laws I am most familiar with - you do not. Deadly physical force is only authorized in if one reasonably believes that deadly physical force is about to be used against them and has no means to safely escape. The escape part applies in your home as well btw. I'd guess many states are similar.
    Very few states support that. Almost all have Castle Law or a similar provision. I thought only Iowa still demanded that you retreat even in your own home.

    Sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #445
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Police officer resigns, another is fired after Ferguson incidents[W:76]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Very few states support that. Almost all have Castle Law or a similar provision. I thought only Iowa still demanded that you retreat even in your own home.

    Sad.
    In Ohio, for example, you have a Duty To Retreat while in public, but no Duty To Retreat while in your home or car. But in New York you have to flee regardless, and that's what's called "common sense gun control", that you should flee your own home.

  6. #446
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,246

    Re: Police officer resigns, another is fired after Ferguson incidents[W:76]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    In New York - my home state and the state whose laws I am most familiar with - you do not. Deadly physical force is only authorized in if one reasonably believes that deadly physical force is about to be used against them and has no means to safely escape. The escape part applies in your home as well btw. I'd guess many states are similar.
    That's why New York is a **** hope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #447
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,441

    Re: Police officer resigns, another is fired after Ferguson incidents[W:76]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    That's why New York is a **** hope.
    Yup. There are some good things about living here though. Trying to remember what they are.......

    If it wasn't for the fact that I hate moving and I've 20 years in the same job and a pension coming to me I think we'd seriously consider relocating to somewhere more civilized.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  8. #448
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,246

    Re: Police officer resigns, another is fired after Ferguson incidents[W:76]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    Yup. There are some good things about living here though. Trying to remember what they are.......

    If it wasn't for the fact that I hate moving and I've 20 years in the same job and a pension coming to me I think we'd seriously consider relocating to somewhere more civilized.
    It's beautiful country, but man!...it seems like everything is illegal there!
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #449
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,513

    Re: Police officer resigns, another is fired after Ferguson incidents[W:76]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    The law allows the military to kill you in defense of property, too, and the military assisting LEOs in a civil disturbance are under the most restrictive rules.
    Really? So, the military could go into Ferguson and kill the people damaging property, and it would all be perfectly legal?

    I don't think so.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  10. #450
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,513

    Re: Police officer resigns, another is fired after Ferguson incidents[W:76]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    What about tools, or equipment that one uses to make a living? Too feed one's family? Do I have the right to protect that?
    You bet you do.

    By having it insured against theft, loss, fire, etc.

    And, you should.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •