Page 24 of 47 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 467

Thread: Police officer resigns, another is fired after Ferguson incidents[W:76]

  1. #231
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    05-23-18 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    19,442
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Police officer resigns, another is fired after Ferguson incidents

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    To
    an extent, you're right. However, you're advocating that cops should be emotionless machines and that just ain't gonna happen. Actions, "in the heat of the moment", will occur and there's no way around it. You want too much sugar for a dime
    .


    I hear what you're saying and I understand your point, but everyone is responsible for whatever they may do or not do.

    No one can use emotions as an excuse for poor performance. It doesn't work on the job or in court.

  2. #232
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    43,676

    Re: Police officer resigns, another is fired after Ferguson incidents[W:76]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Yes, but you can't stop it with lethal force like in Texas unles your life is imediatly in jeopardy. That's what we need a bill to fix. It should be perfectly legal to shoot anyone imediatly engaged in grand theft, burglary, arson, etc, even if you yourself are perfectly safe.
    Doesn't that put the value of property over the value of human life?
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance. It is the illusion of knowledge" Stephen Hawking

  3. #233
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    85,226

    Re: Police officer resigns, another is fired after Ferguson incidents

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    I hear what you're saying and I understand your point, but everyone is responsible for whatever they may do or not do.

    No one can use emotions as an excuse for poor performance. It doesn't work on the job or in court.
    That's not true. The, "heat of the moment", "in the heat of passion", defense is used quite often in court.

    The cop that was forced to resign because he--gasp--said a dirty word reacted to a highly stressful situation. i.e. in the heat of the moment.

    It's easy to arm-chair quarterback these things and I suggest the people who are most offended by it should join their local police force and show us how it's done.
    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So there is absolutely no evidence this woman, whom you called a slut, did this but you are ready to take someone's word as evidence. Guess you don't think witch hunts have to end when it's going after the certain people.

  4. #234
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    05-24-18 @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,682
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Police officer resigns, another is fired after Ferguson incidents[W:76]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Doesn't that put the value of property over the value of human life?
    It's a bit of a stretch to call thieves human life.
    Trump Attacked A Syrian Airfield. Trump will be a one-term president.

  5. #235
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    85,226

    Re: Police officer resigns, another is fired after Ferguson incidents[W:76]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Doesn't that put the value of property over the value of human life?
    What about the quality of life? A person's quality of life will be degraded when someone trashed out their home, or harms their livelihood. Isn't that worth protecting? A person doesn't have a right to pillage, but a person does have a right to protect their property.
    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So there is absolutely no evidence this woman, whom you called a slut, did this but you are ready to take someone's word as evidence. Guess you don't think witch hunts have to end when it's going after the certain people.

  6. #236
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    43,676

    Re: Police officer resigns, another is fired after Ferguson incidents[W:76]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    What about the quality of life? A person's quality of life will be degraded when someone trashed out their home, or harms their livelihood. Isn't that worth protecting? A person doesn't have a right to pillage, but a person does have a right to protect their property.
    The issue is not preventing theft, but of shooting people involved in property crimes. While I'm sure the Taliban would have no problem with it, I'd think most citizens of the great democracies would object.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance. It is the illusion of knowledge" Stephen Hawking

  7. #237
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    85,226

    Re: Police officer resigns, another is fired after Ferguson incidents[W:76]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    The issue is not preventing theft, but of shooting people involved in property crimes. While I'm sure the Taliban would have no problem with it, I'd think most citizens of the great democracies would object.
    Ok, at what point does someone have to steal YOUR property, before you feel like you need to defend your property with violence? Where do you draw the line?
    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So there is absolutely no evidence this woman, whom you called a slut, did this but you are ready to take someone's word as evidence. Guess you don't think witch hunts have to end when it's going after the certain people.

  8. #238
    Tenacious
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,225

    Re: Police officer resigns, another is fired after Ferguson incidents[W:76]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Doesn't that put the value of property over the value of human life?
    There is no danger to anyone that's not committing a crime, so it's one of those things where, if you dont want to get shot, dont steal someone else's property. So that person decides the value of their own life. They make a choice to take that risk. If they value their life more than property, they wont do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Welfare is a bad thing? It is essentially free money. It is not that bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I look at abortion the same way I do Pineapple Pizza.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #239
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    43,676

    Re: Police officer resigns, another is fired after Ferguson incidents[W:76]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Ok, at what point does someone have to steal YOUR property, before you feel like you need to defend your property with violence? Where do you draw the line?
    When they threaten me and mine. I'm fine with locking the scummy thieves up.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance. It is the illusion of knowledge" Stephen Hawking

  10. #240
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    43,676

    Re: Police officer resigns, another is fired after Ferguson incidents[W:76]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    There is no danger to anyone that's not committing a crime, so it's one of those things where, if you dont want to get shot, dont steal someone else's property. So that person decides the value of their own life. They make a choice to take that risk. If they value their life more than property, they wont do it.
    Does that apply to white collar thieves as well?
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance. It is the illusion of knowledge" Stephen Hawking

Page 24 of 47 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •