Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 273

Thread: Census figures show more than one-third of Americans receiving welfare benefits

  1. #21
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Census figures show more than one-third of Americans receiving welfare benefits

    Fox's motto "Fair and Balanced" is a lie. It goes down hill from there and has millions of disciplies that belevie every word like it is gospel. This is just another example of yellow journalism. Not an outright lie, but certainly not hte truth, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaaaman View Post
    Look... people that lean towards the left politically generally try to paint Fox News as the black sheep of journalism standards. All I am saying is that they are not being intellectually honest. Several media outlets practice the same kind of journalism. They do it for ratings.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  2. #22
    Student Jaaaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Texas, the coastal bend
    Last Seen
    12-13-14 @ 03:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    279

    Re: Census figures show more than one-third of Americans receiving welfare benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    Fox's motto "Fair and Balanced" is a lie. It goes down hill from there and has millions of disciplies that belevie every word like it is gospel. This is just another example of yellow journalism. Not an outright lie, but certainly not hte truth, either.
    Well... I am not one of their 'disciples' and I am a righty. I view several news sources (mostly web based). I would just like it for those that would point the finger of yellow journalism at Fox News would also point the finger at the other ones that practice the very same kind of dishonest journalism. Fact of the matter is that they don't. And that is not being intellectually honest IMHO.

    Semper Fi.

  3. #23
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Census figures show more than one-third of Americans receiving welfare benefits

    Semper Fi brother. Part of my problem is I live in an area that is really really conservative. if I stop by the local bar for lunch there is a very good chance Fox is on TV, so I am kinda sensitive to it. I never ever see MSNBC or really any other news out let on in public. It is Fox and ESPN around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaaaman View Post
    Well... I am not one of their 'disciples' and I am a righty. I view several news sources (mostly web based). I would just like it for those that would point the finger of yellow journalism at Fox News would also point the finger at the other ones that practice the very same kind of dishonest journalism. Fact of the matter is that they don't. And that is not being intellectually honest IMHO.

    Semper Fi.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  4. #24
    Student Jaaaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Texas, the coastal bend
    Last Seen
    12-13-14 @ 03:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    279

    Re: Census figures show more than one-third of Americans receiving welfare benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    But no one did that. So why on the offensive for Fox? It's true, isn't it?
    Journalistic standards from the big media moguls went out the window some time ago. Honestly, why even bring this up? If you want to know the whole truth on a given story you have to do independent research on your own. It has been that way for several years now.

  5. #25
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,169

    Re: Census figures show more than one-third of Americans receiving welfare benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaaaman View Post
    Journalistic standards from the big media moguls went out the window some time ago. Honestly, why even bring this up? If you want to know the whole truth on a given story you have to do independent research on your own. It has been that way for several years now.
    Well, yeah. The reason I bring it up is because for some reason you're defending Fox when no one ever said anything about any other news org, as though it's any better.

  6. #26
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,217

    Re: Census figures show more than one-third of Americans receiving welfare benefits

    Geezus how did this thread get so terribly derailed? I feel like I'm in the Bias in the Media section.

    BACK TO THE OP:

    Interesting and scary at the same time. It has to be unsustainable, first off - and it just to me isn't good that so many rely on the government in some way. This is a grand country with so much opportunity. If you're young and healthy, find it.

  7. #27
    Student Jaaaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Texas, the coastal bend
    Last Seen
    12-13-14 @ 03:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    279

    Re: Census figures show more than one-third of Americans receiving welfare benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    Well, yeah. The reason I bring it up is because for some reason you're defending Fox when no one ever said anything about any other news org, as though it's any better.
    Fox News is not any better. But you are practicing a well known tactic called 'shooting the messenger' when you blame the source of the story and don't address the content of the story. Fox News is not to blame for high numbers of people all over the nation receiving welfare benefits of some kind.

  8. #28
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,169

    Re: Census figures show more than one-third of Americans receiving welfare benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaaaman View Post
    Fox News is not any better. But you are practicing a well known tactic called 'shooting the messenger' when you blame the source of the story and don't address the content of the story. Fox News is not to blame for high numbers of people all over the nation receiving welfare benefits of some kind.
    Er, I think you're getting people mixed up here. My first post, on page one, does nothing of the kind. The rest are to you, and why you got a bug up you when someone mentioned the source -- one you grant is notoriously unreliable.

  9. #29
    Student Jaaaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Texas, the coastal bend
    Last Seen
    12-13-14 @ 03:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    279

    Re: Census figures show more than one-third of Americans receiving welfare benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    Er, I think you're getting people mixed up here. My first post, on page one, does nothing of the kind. The rest are to you, and why you got a bug up you when someone mentioned the source -- one you grant is notoriously unreliable.
    Then please bring other sources to the table that dispute the allegations in this story. I am not in any way a ardent defender of Fox News or it's journalistic standards.

  10. #30
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,945
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Census figures show more than one-third of Americans receiving welfare benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    It has to be unsustainable, first off - and it just to me isn't good that so many rely on the government in some way. This is a grand country with so much opportunity. If you're young and healthy, find it.
    Do you think that this rate is due to people not looking for opportunities?
    I may be wrong.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •