Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 273

Thread: Census figures show more than one-third of Americans receiving welfare benefits

  1. #211
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Census figures show more than one-third of Americans receiving welfare benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Ever heard of finding a different job? When one get's hired and they accept the job, that means that they accepted the pay agreed upon hiring to do the job...You don't get to get the job then cry that the pay is unfair...You don't OWN the job...If you don't like an aspect of a company you work for, find somewhere else...
    It's a negotiating issue. When most of us are living pay check to pay check, we won't take much risk (we can't afford to), thus we fail to demand more than what we are offered. The concept that it is possible to negotiate higher compensation has never occurred to most workers.

    Then many of us have the nerve to bash low wage employees for threatening to unionize or for protesting for higher wages. It amazes me that the same people who don't bat an eye when they hear about a CEO getting a five million dollar raise are the ones who complain about fast food workers trying to get $14/hr. Everyone deserves to be able to attempt to use whatever negotiating power they have to negotiate a better salary - not just the rich.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  2. #212
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Census figures show more than one-third of Americans receiving welfare benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Did you join the military right out of high school?
    Nope...I was 21 when I entered the Army.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #213
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Census figures show more than one-third of Americans receiving welfare benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Nope...I was 21 when I entered the Army.
    I was 19 and was looking for a way to fund my education.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  4. #214
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Census figures show more than one-third of Americans receiving welfare benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    It's a negotiating issue. When most of us are living pay check to pay check, we won't take much risk (we can't afford to), thus we fail to demand more than what we are offered. The concept that it is possible to negotiate higher compensation has never occurred to most workers.

    Then many of us have the nerve to bash low wage employees for threatening to unionize or for protesting for higher wages. It amazes me that the same people who don't bat an eye when they hear about a CEO getting a five million dollar raise are the ones who complain about fast food workers trying to get $14/hr. Everyone deserves to be able to attempt to use whatever negotiating power they have to negotiate a better salary - not just the rich.
    I don't disagree that each individual should be able to negotiate their own pay, and if they choose to form a union to do so that's on them...But don't tell me if I don't want to give to a union then I don't have a right to do the job. If fast food workers want $14 per hour, then they shouldn't be fast food workers...My God, the price of a damned Big Mac meal is already too much money. Oh, and when the day comes that these workers do get to $14 per hour, watch out, 'Robo-burger' is coming....Check out Sheetz, and WaWa, or in our area QT.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #215
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Census figures show more than one-third of Americans receiving welfare benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    I was 19 and was looking for a way to fund my education.
    I was like I said 21, living in Lansing MI. You couldn't get into GM without knowing someone at the time (early '80s), and we were coming out of the disaster that was the Carter economy....I was separated from my first wife, and really needed a change in my life path...Off I went.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #216
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Census figures show more than one-third of Americans receiving welfare benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I don't disagree that each individual should be able to negotiate their own pay, and if they choose to form a union to do so that's on them...But don't tell me if I don't want to give to a union then I don't have a right to do the job. If fast food workers want $14 per hour, then they shouldn't be fast food workers...My God, the price of a damned Big Mac meal is already too much money. Oh, and when the day comes that these workers do get to $14 per hour, watch out, 'Robo-burger' is coming....Check out Sheetz, and WaWa, or in our area QT.
    Oh, I agree. Unionization is a good thing, except for laws that in some states give more power to the union than they would have from purely collective bargaining. Fair negotiating can only result when negotiating power is more or less equal. It's about balance.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  7. #217
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Census figures show more than one-third of Americans receiving welfare benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I was like I said 21, living in Lansing MI. You couldn't get into GM without knowing someone at the time (early '80s), and we were coming out of the disaster that was the Carter economy....I was separated from my first wife, and really needed a change in my life path...Off I went.
    Wow. Married and separated by age 21.

    I have always felt that the military is the best opportunity for most young people. Gives them a more or less equal start in their careers, the life structure that they need, teaches respect and disipline. Not to mention the fact that you don't have to worry if your employer is going to be able to pay you, don't have to worry about insurance, or housing or being fed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  8. #218
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,559

    Re: Census figures show more than one-third of Americans receiving welfare benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    I mean that, if a working person requires welfare payments or benefits to survive, her/his employers are paying too little.
    No, that is not true. One has nothing to do with the other. The employer hires at the market rate for that job, they don't determine the value (or pay) for that job. The person would just not take the job at that rate.

    No one should work a full week and not be able to put a roof over their head, and food on the table.
    That's just philosophy, nothing to do with a market economy.

    If they cannot do this, and the government has to step in to top-up with benefit payments, then it is the employer being subsidised, not the employee as, if welfare were not to pick up the slack
    How is the employer being subsidised? They are paying the market rate for the job, they are not paying less that the job is worth. Do you shop around for products on the internet, and then choose the highest price for the exact same thing? Why should an employer do that?
    the employee would be unable to work for paltry wages and the employer would be unable to recruit without paying more. To my mind, all welfare paid to full-time working employees is corporate welfare to low-paying employers.
    Simples. Never heard 'a fair day's pay for a fair day's work'?
    You are describing an Elizabeth Warren socialist economy, not a capatilist economy.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  9. #219
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Census figures show more than one-third of Americans receiving welfare benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    No, that is not true. One has nothing to do with the other. The employer hires at the market rate for that job, they don't determine the value (or pay) for that job. The person would just not take the job at that rate.
    Nonsense. The rates they are paying are not market rates at all. They are skewed by the willingness of the government to subsidise them with welfare. You're not seriously going to argue that modern capitalism operates through free trade, are you?

    You are describing an Elizabeth Warren socialist economy, not a capatilist economy.
    I don't know who Elizabeth Warren is but, while I am 100% anti-neoliberalism, at least I can spell capitalist.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  10. #220
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Census figures show more than one-third of Americans receiving welfare benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    [...] doubling the debt every few years, and with little or nothing to show for it, is not going to end well. [...]
    Possibly. Has that ever happened, or are you just making stuff up?

Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •