Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 273

Thread: Census figures show more than one-third of Americans receiving welfare benefits

  1. #181
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Census figures show more than one-third of Americans receiving welfare benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by Texmex View Post
    To assume something is not to wish it to be so.
    Look, you either said that or you didn't, but it is in black and white, and pretty clear...So.....?

    I apologize. It appeared, judging by your posting history, that you were much younger than you are. My mistake.
    No worries Tex...I may not be the most knowledgeable, or articulate poster here, but one thing is for sure, as much as I wish, my younger years are behind me.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #182
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,189

    Re: Census figures show more than one-third of Americans receiving welfare benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Look, you either said that or you didn't, but it is in black and white, and pretty clear...So.....?
    That's OK, I'll just assume you don't know what the definition of the word assume is. No harm, no foul.



    No worries Tex...I may not be the most knowledgeable, or articulate poster here, but one thing is for sure, as much as I wish, my younger years are behind me.
    Me too.

  3. #183
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Census figures show more than one-third of Americans receiving welfare benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    First, thanks for the answer...But let me clarify if I could...When I am speaking of "welfare recipients" I am generally speaking of those that don't have jobs, and receive Housing, food stamps, subsistence, energy, medicaid, etc. I am NOT speaking of those that work, and make so little that they need help like food stamps, or energy, or any combination of those while they work. Maybe I wasn't clear enough and for that I apologize. But, of the people I am speaking of, they are NOT paying sales tax on anything because they are using money we provide them, same with real estate, income, or payroll because it is likely that they don't have any of that.

    So what are they contributing?
    You are wrong. That is not what "welfare recipients" mean. Most of the people who receive benefits from the programs you mention do have jobs. And even if they are not working now, most of them have worked at some time and will work in the future.

    Finally, we aren't just talking about those who have never worked. Read the OP again. If you want to talk about people who hhave never worked, start a new thread. I'm not going to engage in framing this discussion according to your daffynition of "welfare recipient"
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #184
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Census figures show more than one-third of Americans receiving welfare benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by Texmex View Post
    That's OK, I'll just assume you don't know what the definition of the word assume is. No harm, no foul.
    Not trying to belabor the point, but you were the one "assuming" in the statement....What you were doing is using it as a rhetorical slap as to say that because I have a problem with SS withholding that I wouldn't be taking it...Or that I disagreed with your take on it that I wouldn't be taking it...Either assumption was wrong....
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #185
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Census figures show more than one-third of Americans receiving welfare benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    You are wrong. That is not what "welfare recipients" mean. Most of the people who receive benefits from the programs you mention do have jobs. And even if they are not working now, most of them have worked at some time and will work in the future.

    Finally, we aren't just talking about those who have never worked. Read the OP again. If you want to talk about people who hhave never worked, start a new thread. I'm not going to engage in framing this discussion according to your daffynition of "welfare recipient"
    Ok, have a nice day then....
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #186
    Sage
    JumpinJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,628

    Re: Census figures show more than one-third of Americans receiving welfare benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by RedAkston View Post
    Census figures show more than one-third of Americans receiving welfare benefits | Fox News



    This should be shocking to everyone, no matter which way they lean.
    Since it includes the subsidies for Obamacare and expanded Medicaid, I'm not surprised. Or shocked. Nor do I think assistance is bad, when it's needed.

    What should shock you is that that many people are poor in our supposedly wealthy nation.

    Also, what matters most is the amount of $$$. Not how many are receiving a little of this or that, or whether it's permanent or temporary. Someone getting food stamps for a month is included.

    When the min. wage is increased, the # of people getting assistance will decrease.
    ________________________________

  7. #187
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Census figures show more than one-third of Americans receiving welfare benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    Pat Robertson is a flaming liberal compared to you, so maybe it's your judgement that is off?
    I'm sorry to say your comment or opinion isn't respected by me - therefore ignored. Have a nice day.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  8. #188
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    728

    Re: Census figures show more than one-third of Americans receiving welfare benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by Texmex View Post
    I worked longer than you've probably been alive, retire and draw SS like millions of Americans, and my entire generation is the worst one? Son, you need to grow up.

    Are your parents part of the Baby Boomer generation?
    So because you worked means you are entitled to benefits that we cannot afford forever?

    Yea, you are the worst.

    Because of your generation, your childrens will be saddled with a burden they cannot bear.

    Read up on it. Drop your entitled attitude.

    I dont expect any benefits, i can take care of myself

  9. #189
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    728

    Re: Census figures show more than one-third of Americans receiving welfare benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by Texmex View Post
    I guess the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree.
    Whatever the hell that means. What, you thought i would say my parents were different? No, they arent. I have discussed it with them before. They were horrified when paul ryan brought up the subject of altering entitlements to preserve them. Hands off my g cheese eh?

    Thats the problem with boomers, they are a very selfish generation

  10. #190
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    728

    Re: Census figures show more than one-third of Americans receiving welfare benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    That depends on what you mean by close...I figure I am on the bubble....52 years old, at least 15 to 17 years from taking SS.
    You likely will not receive what you paid in.

Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •