Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 270

Thread: Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown calls for Burger King boycott over Tim Hortons deal

  1. #241
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,634

    Re: Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown calls for Burger King boycott over Tim Hortons deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Fox News Link


    I am wondering how his constituents that are employed by Burger King feel about this. Way to throw them under the bus Sherrod.
    I avoid Burger King because I like Wendy's much better but given that Sherrod Brown is pretty much a gaping asshole, I might have to change my preferences. when will douche bag parasites like Brown figure out that corporations have a duty to avoid as many taxes as possible rather than to remain in an inhospitable environment



  2. #242
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,078

    Re: Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown calls for Burger King boycott over Tim Hortons deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Another lefty that begrudges a person being wealthy...
    incorrect. i have no problem with anyone being wealthy, but i support a tiered marginal tax structure.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Tell me my left wing friend have you ever been hired by a poor person?
    sure, many times for odd jobs. currently, i work in fundamental biochem research, which was funded by a grant until the sequestration. now i'm on a bridge grant, and could very well be out on my ass in 2015.

  3. #243
    Guru
    Hari Seldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,581

    Re: Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown calls for Burger King boycott over Tim Hortons deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Another lefty sticking his nose where it does not belong....Corporations have the highes corporate taxes in the world in this country...Lower the taxes like the Republicans want to do maybe will change this happening.
    Speaking of sticking things where they don't belong. Better to stick your nose up someones azz like a good Social Conservative.
    Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right.
    Isaac Asimov

  4. #244
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,018

    Re: Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown calls for Burger King boycott over Tim Hortons deal

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    No, I said "according to law" which scotus decisions are.
    Not according to the constitution.

    All legislative Powers herein granted shall be vested in a Congress of the United States, which shall consist of a Senate and House of Representatives.

  5. #245
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,018

    Re: Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown calls for Burger King boycott over Tim Hortons deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    and the top one percent control 35 percent of the wealth. they benefit the most from societal structure, and asking them to pay a higher marginal rate on income above a certain level is not unfair.
    I would argue the opposite, that they benefit the least from societal structure because they can afford to exist without it. If anything, society benefits most from them because they are the most productive. So they should be paying LESS tax. Whereas the poor benefit the most by receiving the services that taxes mostly fund. 80% of spending goes to income support.

    And it is unfair because fairness means equal treatment. Taxing someone more than other is by definition unfair.

  6. #246
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,078

    Re: Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown calls for Burger King boycott over Tim Hortons deal

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    I would argue the opposite, that they benefit the least from societal structure because they can afford to exist without it. If anything, society benefits most from them because they are the most productive. So they should be paying LESS tax. Whereas the poor benefit the most by receiving the services that taxes mostly fund. 80% of spending goes to income support.

    And it is unfair because fairness means equal treatment. Taxing someone more than other is by definition unfair.
    Their wealth is in dollars, which do not exist without society. Their commerce relies on infrastructure. And without society, the most wealthy are very vulnerable; they would have to spend more than they are paying in taxes just for security. The marginal rates are more than fair.

  7. #247
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,018

    Re: Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown calls for Burger King boycott over Tim Hortons deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    Their wealth is in dollars, which do not exist without society. Their commerce relies on infrastructure. And without society, the most wealthy are very vulnerable; they would have to spend more than they are paying in taxes just for security. The marginal rates are more than fair.
    Their wealth is in investments and assets. They dont actually have billions sitting in a mattress. And they can afford to take those investments elsewhere, as we see with Burger King. The only thing they really need from the US is justice and security, and they get the same amount as everyone else, even though they pay 1000x more for it. WHich is unfair.

  8. #248
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,078

    Re: Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown calls for Burger King boycott over Tim Hortons deal

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Their wealth is in investments and assets.
    which is measured an imaginary currency, and is dependent on society and social order.

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    They dont actually have billions sitting in a mattress. And they can afford to take those investments elsewhere, as we see with Burger King.
    as i previously stated, the corporate tax should be cut, and we should tax individuals instead.

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    The only thing they really need from the US is justice and security, and they get the same amount as everyone else, even though they pay 1000x more for it. WHich is unfair.
    false. the concept of wealth itself is dependent on society and social order. if we had a starving, pissed off underclass who could not afford basic expenses and health care for their kids, the wealthy would be in big trouble very quickly. the rich also depend heavily on commerce, which is dependent on public infrastructure. so the very rich pay a higher user fee for these things, but only on the earnings above a certain threshold. it is more than a fair deal for them, and rates are historically low.

  9. #249
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,018

    Re: Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown calls for Burger King boycott over Tim Hortons deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    which is measured an imaginary currency, and is dependent on society and social order.



    as i previously stated, the corporate tax should be cut, and we should tax individuals instead.



    false. the concept of wealth itself is dependent on society and social order. if we had a starving, pissed off underclass who could not afford basic expenses and health care for their kids, the wealthy would be in big trouble very quickly. the rich also depend heavily on commerce, which is dependent on public infrastructure. so the very rich pay a higher user fee for these things, but only on the earnings above a certain threshold. it is more than a fair deal for them, and rates are historically low.
    Im tired of having the same argument. You want to live in a progressive commune, have at it. Luckily they havent yet made it illegal to flee. But theyre working on it.

  10. #250
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,078

    Re: Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown calls for Burger King boycott over Tim Hortons deal

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Im tired of having the same argument. You want to live in a progressive commune, have at it.
    strawman / hyperbole.

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Luckily they havent yet made it illegal to flee. But theyre working on it.
    more hyperbole. tax rates are historically low.

    Historical_Mariginal_Tax_Rate_for_Highest_and_Lowest_Income_Earners.jpg

Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •