Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 83

Thread: GOP Campaign ad exploits Foley's beheading

  1. #11
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: GOP Campaign ad exploits Foley's beheading

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Like using the Iraq war and dead servicemen to push Democrat campaigns?
    You beat me to it.

  2. #12
    Why so un**great?
    DifferentDrummr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Facepalm Beach
    Last Seen
    06-04-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,818
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: GOP Campaign ad exploits Foley's beheading

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Like using the Iraq war and dead servicemen to push Democrat campaigns?
    I don't approve of either major party using images of soldiers getting shot or coming home in flag-draped coffins as part of a campaign ad. That's pandering.

    War itself, of course, is fair game because it's policy.
    I fight against the ignorant, irresponsible, and/or closed-minded.
    This group is the worst enemy of America and its freedoms. It includes, but is not limited to, all Trump supporters.

  3. #13
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,386

    Re: GOP Campaign ad exploits Foley's beheading

    Quote Originally Posted by DifferentDrummr View Post
    Just when you thought Republican campaign tactics couldn't sink any lower:




    The ad in question:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTG3...3NT5OdaQPefUBA
    They only thing I thought about your post is why is it breaking news.

  4. #14
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,696

    Re: GOP Campaign ad exploits Foley's beheading

    Quote Originally Posted by DifferentDrummr View Post
    I don't approve of either major party using images of soldiers getting shot or coming home in flag-draped coffins as part of a campaign ad. That's pandering.

    War itself, of course, is fair game because it's policy.
    Well, politicking on dead bodies won the Democrats the White House.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  5. #15
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: GOP Campaign ad exploits Foley's beheading

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    I will agree there is a lack of leadership in Washington, however, a senator from New Mexico has very little (if anything) to do with Foley.
    I agree. That's why, by the sounds of it, Foley was in very little of the video. Apparently he showed up in a few frames. Watching the video it appears that the picture in question is on the screen for a bit under 2 seconds out of the 61 second ad spot. The ad wasn't about Foley, it was about the candidates opinion of the lack of leadership in washington in the face of the foreign policy crisises facing us (of which foley is a part of).

    It was in poor taste to even bring it up in that way in the ad.
    Absolutely, I agree with you about the poor taste especially this soon after. That doesn't change the fact that it's completely topical, as it relates to the ad in question and the message it's imparting, to refer to that situation or to refer to ones opinion about the lack of leadership in the washington.

    I wasn't making an argument that it was in good taste. I was making an argument that the seeming confusion over how Obama's leadership or actions were relevant to the ad was ridiculous. Erod's post, whether you agree with it or not, was directly topical to what the ad was referencing.

    Also, just to be clear, there is failed leadership PERIOD in Washington D.C. and it is BOTH parties responsible.
    Absolutely, but this ad's focus was on ONE party (as most campaign ads are) and Erod's point that you and the other poster responded to incredulously was addressing the message of the ad.

  6. #16
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: GOP Campaign ad exploits Foley's beheading

    Quote Originally Posted by DifferentDrummr View Post
    There's nothing wrong with an ad suggesting a lack of leadership. There is a hell of a lot that's wrong with an ad that uses Foley and ISIS as some kind of sideshow to help convey that message.
    Which is a great response to a strawman but not to my post.

    I wasn't suggesting it was wrong to criticize the ad's use of Foley and ISIS. I suggested it was ridiculous to question how Erod's comment about leadership in washington "had to do with the senate race in new mexico" in a thread talking about an ad for hte senate race in new mexico that's focus was on leadership in washington.

    Erod's point made PERFECT sense as it relates to his opinion and to the ad in the OP. Disagreeing with his opinion makes sense, agreeing with his opinion and still thinking it was in bad taste makes sense, but acting like his opinion just was non-sensical and untopical to the senate race and the ad in question is just laughable. That was my issue, not whether or not the ad was in good taste. (of which I suggested it was not)

  7. #17
    Why so un**great?
    DifferentDrummr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Facepalm Beach
    Last Seen
    06-04-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,818
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: GOP Campaign ad exploits Foley's beheading

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I wasn't making an argument that it was in good taste. I was making an argument that the seeming confusion over how Obama's leadership or actions were relevant to the ad was ridiculous. Erod's post, whether you agree with it or not, was directly tangental to what the ad was referencing.
    "Directly tangential?" Is that akin to "naturally artificial?"
    I fight against the ignorant, irresponsible, and/or closed-minded.
    This group is the worst enemy of America and its freedoms. It includes, but is not limited to, all Trump supporters.

  8. #18
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: GOP Campaign ad exploits Foley's beheading

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Well, politicking on dead bodies won the Democrats the White House.
    Starting in 2004, and continuing until the day Obama won the WH and the Democrats won control of Congress.

  9. #19
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,696

    Re: GOP Campaign ad exploits Foley's beheading

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Starting in 2004, and continuing until the day Obama won the WH and the Democrats won control of Congress.
    True.

    Remember, the DNC ran footage of war in Iraq over the comments of John McCain that we may need to stay in Iraq for 50 years.

    McCain was right.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  10. #20
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: GOP Campaign ad exploits Foley's beheading

    Quote Originally Posted by DifferentDrummr View Post
    "Directly tangential?" Is that akin to "naturally artificial?"
    LOL Brain was thinking one thing, fingers were typing another. Should've been "topical" not "tangential". Ha!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •