Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 272

Thread: ISIS Demands $6.6M Ransom for 26-Year-Old American Woman.....

  1. #251
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:30 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,392

    Re: ISIS Demands $6.6M Ransom for 26-Year-Old American Woman.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    There are no rules. There are only things that are more or less effective. If dealing with a group that only understands violence, then using violence against that group is called for. You can't reason with the unreasonable.
    Sigh...

    But the ultimate objective is to NOT create more of these guys. Our involvement creates more. And the more innocents we kill...the more terrorists we make. Violence begets violence.

    But...surgical strikes. Killing the leaders? Taking away their money. That cripples them. Honestly...if we hired thieves to take away their money it would likely be more effective, because without money...they cannot pay for bullets or food.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  2. #252
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,803

    Re: ISIS Demands $6.6M Ransom for 26-Year-Old American Woman.....

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    Sigh...

    But the ultimate objective is to NOT create more of these guys. Our involvement creates more. And the more innocents we kill...the more terrorists we make. Violence begets violence.

    But...surgical strikes. Killing the leaders? Taking away their money. That cripples them. Honestly...if we hired thieves to take away their money it would likely be more effective, because without money...they cannot pay for bullets or food.
    I agree. However, you can't magically undo what's already been done. Now you have a huge group of people who are not only willing to kill Americans, just because they're Americans, you have people who are utter fanatics about it, backed by a particular reading of a particular religion. Now yes, if you can get a group of hackers out there who will deplete their bank accounts, that would be effective but it wouldn't stop them from pulling guns on Americans, especially since they'd just be after money from kidnapping.

    I think we're beyond the point of being able to back out. We've created fanatics. They are not going to calm down. They are not going to go away no matter what we do. They are beyond reason. They don't want us to go away, they want us to die. There needs to be another solution and, like it or not, maybe wiping them all out may be the only solution we have available. Ignoring them, pretending they're not there, letting them get away with murder, that's not going to stop them. That time is past.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #253
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,483

    Re: ISIS Demands $6.6M Ransom for 26-Year-Old American Woman.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Roadvirus View Post
    Mexico - lawless
    Middle East - lawless

    seem similar to me.
    Why do you post about something you know nothing about?

  4. #254
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,483

    Re: ISIS Demands $6.6M Ransom for 26-Year-Old American Woman.....

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    Sigh...

    But the ultimate objective is to NOT create more of these guys. Our involvement creates more. And the more innocents we kill...the more terrorists we make. Violence begets violence.

    But...surgical strikes. Killing the leaders? Taking away their money. That cripples them. Honestly...if we hired thieves to take away their money it would likely be more effective, because without money...they cannot pay for bullets or food.
    I am sorry but your post seems odd to me.

    This is a criminal group and if they have no money they can't get their hands on bullets or food?

    Don't you think they will take it from who has it rather than say "We have no money so we are out of business?"

  5. #255
    Global Moderator
    May the force be with you
    Serenity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,947

    Re: ISIS Demands $6.6M Ransom for 26-Year-Old American Woman.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    I don't mean to be insensitive to this woman's family, BUT, sorry, no deal. I don't care what you travel to these hot places for, you should only go with the knowledge that if you get kidnapped, you're on your own.

    Tim-
    I know this may come as a shock to some of you but people who make decisions to go to Countries like this in a humanitarian role are already fully aware of the risks involved. They don't just wake up one day and decide to travel there without having an interest in the area, studying it and being prepared. They know what the consequences could be and that for all intents and purposes they are on their own. The don't go there "hoping" to die of course, but they do understand that there are certain risks involved and even if you take all necessary precautions to stay safe it's not guranteed that you will.

    They dont go there expecting someone to "save their ass". They know the risks involved and if they weren't prepared for the consequences they wouldn't go.

  6. #256
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:30 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,392

    Re: ISIS Demands $6.6M Ransom for 26-Year-Old American Woman.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    I am sorry but your post seems odd to me.

    This is a criminal group and if they have no money they can't get their hands on bullets or food?

    Don't you think they will take it from who has it rather than say "We have no money so we are out of business?"
    I understand. But the less money they have...the less effective they are. So they can stay out and fight all they want. But it is pretty hard to fund a conflict against a nation when you can't afford food.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  7. #257
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: ISIS Demands $6.6M Ransom for 26-Year-Old American Woman.....

    I disagree with him too! In fact, I don't agree with anybody that thinks Iraq, Egypt or Libya are better today then they were with Hussein, Mubarak and Gaddafi in place. Nor will Syria be better if we succeed in removing Assad!
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  8. #258
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: ISIS Demands $6.6M Ransom for 26-Year-Old American Woman.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    I know this may come as a shock to some of you but people who make decisions to go to Countries like this in a humanitarian role are already fully aware of the risks involved. They don't just wake up one day and decide to travel there without having an interest in the area, studying it and being prepared. They know what the consequences could be and that for all intents and purposes they are on their own. The don't go there "hoping" to die of course, but they do understand that there are certain risks involved and even if you take all necessary precautions to stay safe it's not guranteed that you will.

    They dont go there expecting someone to "save their ass". They know the risks involved and if they weren't prepared for the consequences they wouldn't go.
    I agree with that, but what's your opinion on her rescue. Do you think the US should get her home regardless of the means?
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  9. #259
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: ISIS Demands $6.6M Ransom for 26-Year-Old American Woman.....

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    I understand. But the less money they have...the less effective they are. So they can stay out and fight all they want. But it is pretty hard to fund a conflict against a nation when you can't afford food.
    They have a great deal of money, both from robbing banks, for example, and sympathetic (and very wealthy) supporters.

  10. #260
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: ISIS Demands $6.6M Ransom for 26-Year-Old American Woman.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    I disagree with him too! In fact, I don't agree with anybody that thinks Iraq, Egypt or Libya are better today then they were with Hussein, Mubarak and Gaddafi in place. Nor will Syria be better if we succeed in removing Assad!
    Better off today? Of course not. But better off when they made those statements? Certainly.

    So the questions is, What happened during the period when it was 'stable' to what we have today? The answer should be clear.

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •