Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 66

Thread: Two rallies, one racial divide over Ferguson shooting

  1. #11
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Two rallies, one racial divide over Ferguson shooting

    There are racial problems in America and some conclusion could be drawn from Ferguson. I'm not sure that the conclusions would be ones that affect white, black relations however. The conclusions deal with a rush to judgement and the black community only seeing one side of the situation without knowledge of the facts surrounding what happened.

    When I heard a young unarmed black man was shot by police, I felt sad. When I heard he was shot in the back I felt angry. When I heard that he wasn't shot in the back I was confused. When I heard he had just strong arm robbed a convenience store I felt the shooting may have been justified. When I heard he broke the eye socket of the policeman who shot him I was glad he got shot.

    Bottom line, everyone should wait until all the facts come to light before running down to the nearest liquor store, breaking the windows and stealing vodka.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  2. #12
    Guru
    1750Texan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Southcental Texas
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,569

    Re: Two rallies, one racial divide over Ferguson shooting

    What do the Darren Wilson protesters have to be angry about? Wilson is alive.

    ...and if Wilson is prosecuted they will go one with their lives secure in the fact that the Ferguson PD will never shoot them down in the streets.


  3. #13
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Two rallies, one racial divide over Ferguson shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    You are right... The black protestors are marching, looting and rioting because of a white cop shooting a black man who just robbed a store... A shooting that they couldn't care less if it was justified or not.

    While the white protestors, from a bar that police officers frequent, are protesting in support of "An officer that has abided by the law has been tried and found guilty without the evidence," said Laura, 48, who carried a placard on the sidewalk in front of the bar that read, "It's not about black or white, it's about rule of law."

    When you're right, you're right.



    But, OTOH: When you're wrong, you're wrong, eh?

    Me, I'm going to wait and see how any trials turn out in this case.

  4. #14
    Advisor Iron Yank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    12-21-16 @ 09:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    317

    Re: Two rallies, one racial divide over Ferguson shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by 1750Texan View Post
    What do the Darren Wilson protesters have to be angry about? Wilson is alive.

    ...and if Wilson is prosecuted they will go one with their lives secure in the fact that the Ferguson PD will never shoot them down in the streets.
    I disagree, I dont care where in this country you reside, if you assault a police officer smashing his face in, try to steal his gun then bull rush him when he calls on you to "freeze" (assuming this is the correct story) then you are likely to get shot not just by a Ferguson officer but by any officer anywhere. I cant imagine someone allowing Brown to beat them a second time considering what already happened.

    To be honest I dont see where this particular incident recieves so much attention. What about the Jewish guy in Miami killed by 2 blacks for being a Jew? .....or even the NY city incident where the poor black guy was strangled by a cop when he was clearly pleading with them that he couldnt breathe? These are both worse then this incident which is looking more & more like justified self defense.

  5. #15
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Two rallies, one racial divide over Ferguson shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    From what I saw, and granted that I didn't see much of the other protest... one is demanding "the head" of the cop, and
    the other is only demanding that the cop get his right to be considered innocent UNTIL proven guilty
    . I may be wrong, but that's the way I saw it.



    I totally support the idea of innocent until proven guilty at trial for everyone, Black or White, in the USA.

    Unfortunately Michael Brown didn't get a trial, he got 6 bullets and he's going under the ground.

  6. #16
    Educator Soupnazi630's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    11-08-14 @ 09:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    855

    Re: Two rallies, one racial divide over Ferguson shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by 1750Texan View Post
    What do the Darren Wilson protesters have to be angry about? Wilson is alive.

    ...and if Wilson is prosecuted they will go one with their lives secure in the fact that the Ferguson PD will never shoot them down in the streets.
    Well many think it is shameful that so many use Wilson's action as an excuse to riot and loot before any facts are known. They also resent that he is accused of racism without any evidence as many others are.

    Then of course there is the possibility that he may be prosecuted unjustly and wrongfully convicted which puts everyone in danger.

    Yeah what do they have to be concerned about?

  7. #17
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Two rallies, one racial divide over Ferguson shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    This is much like the Martin/Zimmerman "racial profiling and assisination" case - short on facts and long on preconceived ideas of what "must have occurred".
    It seems that nothing was learned about the need for waiting for the (too?) slow process of our judicial system to play out.
    One protest is based on the presumption of guilt of the officer and the other on the presumption of his innocence - which side you are on should not be based on race.



    Maybe we could speed up our system of justice by doing away with the whole court system and going with a simple coin toss- A heads you win, tails you lose kind of thing.

    That would speed things up a lot and no one can accuse a coin of being prejudiced, eh?

  8. #18
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-16 @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Two rallies, one racial divide over Ferguson shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Unfortunately Michael Brown didn't get a trial, he got 6 bullets and he's going under the ground.
    Which may or may not have been justified depending on Brown's actions or Wilson's. If the evidence supports that Wilson did not follow the Ferguson PD's use of force policies, than Wilson should be held accountable and prosecuted to the full extent of the law. If the evidence exonerates him, he should be free to go about his life.

    The counter protest's message, if that truly is it, is spot on. We're guilty until proven innocent. Frankly, if i were the counter protests organizers, I wouldn't have dubbed it "Support Officer Wilson" rally but a "Support the Rule of Law" rally. The media, the race merchants (Sharpton, Jackson, Holder), and some in the community of Ferguson have already convicted Wilson.

  9. #19
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Two rallies, one racial divide over Ferguson shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    As the crow flies the two rallies held Saturday afternoon over the fatal shooting of an unarrmed black teen by a white policeman were about 10 miles (16 km) apart, but the racial divide that separated them made that distance seem infinitely greater.

    Read the article here: http://news.yahoo.com/two-rallies-on...004209133.html


    Anyone who thinks that there's no racism and no racial division in the USA could learn a lot in Ferguson, Mo.

    But they'd have to keep their eyes, ears and minds open.




    I predict that some people in the USA will learn nothing from the Ferguson tragedy and similar events because they have their eyes, ears and minds closed.
    The racial divide has been created by the race hustlers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #20
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Two rallies, one racial divide over Ferguson shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    I totally support the idea of innocent until proven guilty at trial for everyone, Black or White, in the USA.

    Unfortunately Michael Brown didn't get a trial, he got 6 bullets and he's going under the ground.
    Brown tried and convicted himself when he decided to assault a police officer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •