Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 213

Thread: U.S. Weighs Direct Military Action Against ISIS in Syria

  1. #161
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: U.S. Weighs Direct Military Action Against ISIS in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    You can disagree with it all you want, but we ended 1000 years of constant warfare in Western Europe.
    Correlation does not equal causation.

  2. #162
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,376

    Re: U.S. Weighs Direct Military Action Against ISIS in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    You can disagree with it all you want, but we ended 1000 years of constant warfare in Western Europe.
    LOL We ended nothing. What about eastern Europe? Bosnia, and now Ukraine come to mind. Our forces simply substituted for other countries defense spending, sort of a lend lease without the strings.
    There is no end to how much we spend to prop up the defense conglomerates. Wasted money for the most part.

  3. #163
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: U.S. Weighs Direct Military Action Against ISIS in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Yes. Yes I do.

    Iraq needs to know its time to sink or swim.
    They are sinking unless they receive aid. And you think that will then teach them a lesson? What would be the point of having a powerful terrorist group take over Iraq with access to Iraqi oil, and other countries throughout the Middle East. America, with its coalition members, started the war in Iraq and should have seen it through until they could properly looked after themselves and the region had settled down. To do otherwise was foolish and immoral.

    One good thing is that, without US even being informed, Egypt and the UAE are attacking Islamist strongholds in Libya. But these countries need help and other nations, in their own long term interest, should give it to them.
    Last edited by Grant; 08-27-14 at 12:03 AM.

  4. #164
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: U.S. Weighs Direct Military Action Against ISIS in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    You can disagree with it all you want, but we ended 1000 years of constant warfare in Western Europe.
    And there were plenty of Americans who were against fighting Hitler as well, and for very good reasons. But eventually they had to get involved because evil will never go away on its own volition.

  5. #165
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: U.S. Weighs Direct Military Action Against ISIS in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    LOL We ended nothing. What about eastern Europe? Bosnia, and now Ukraine come to mind. Our forces simply substituted for other countries defense spending, sort of a lend lease without the strings. There is no end to how much we spend to prop up the defense conglomerates. Wasted money for the most part.
    That's the way the world is. If it's not one crazy place it's another and it was ever thus.. Expecting otherwise is unrealistic, ergo, it makes sense to pay insurance for our continued freedoms.

  6. #166
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,376

    Re: U.S. Weighs Direct Military Action Against ISIS in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    That's the way the world is. If it's not one crazy place it's another and it was ever thus.. Expecting otherwise is unrealistic, ergo, it makes sense to pay insurance for our continued freedoms.
    Forcing our presence on nations that do not want it is not the way to preserve freedoms. It is the way to make more enemies that threaten those freedoms. Vietnam is a perfect example. If we had stayed there forever to keep the country from being reunited we would not have an ally like Vietnam in S.E. Asia today. We are not instruments of tyranny and making damn sure everybody knows it is the key to our "continued freedoms".

  7. #167
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,376

    Re: U.S. Weighs Direct Military Action Against ISIS in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    They are sinking unless they receive aid. And you think that will then teach them a lesson? What would be the point of having a powerful terrorist group take over Iraq with access to Iraqi oil, and other countries throughout the Middle East. America, with its coalition members, started the war in Iraq and should have seen it through until they could properly looked after themselves and the region had settled down. To do otherwise was foolish and immoral.

    One good thing is that, without US even being informed, Egypt and the UAE are attacking Islamist strongholds in Libya. But these countries need help and other nations, in their own long term interest, should give it to them.
    It was foolish and immoral to go to Iraq without a plan but you support it still. Bush left Obama with the choice of propping up a sectarian tyrant who was murdering Sunnis in their beds or withdraw like Maliki demanded and hope he would face the music and rule Iraq fairly. There was no good choice PERIOD. But ISIL will not take Bagdad or Iraq our air force will see to that, but the job of retaking the fallen cities must be the Iraqi's feet on the ground.

  8. #168
    Educator
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Last Seen
    10-23-14 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    945

    Re: U.S. Weighs Direct Military Action Against ISIS in Syria

    Those of us in the business call it 'walking the dog' ---

    You start at the western border, and just walk the bombs until you get to the eastern border. No border? No problem - just keep walking.

  9. #169
    Educator
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Last Seen
    10-23-14 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    945

    Re: U.S. Weighs Direct Military Action Against ISIS in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Forcing our presence on nations that do not want it is not the way to preserve freedoms. It is the way to make more enemies that threaten those freedoms. Vietnam is a perfect example. If we had stayed there forever to keep the country from being reunited we would not have an ally like Vietnam in S.E. Asia today. We are not instruments of tyranny and making damn sure everybody knows it is the key to our "continued freedoms".
    Did you, by any chance, spend any time in Iraq? Yeah ... I didn't think so.

    Reality doesn't seem to be your strong point, does it?

  10. #170
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,376

    Re: U.S. Weighs Direct Military Action Against ISIS in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by GBFAN View Post
    Did you, by any chance, spend any time in Iraq? Yeah ... I didn't think so.

    Reality doesn't seem to be your strong point, does it?
    And what is your strong point? And what does where I have been have to do with anything?

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •