Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 44

Thread: GAO: Pentagon violated law with Bergdahl swap

  1. #11
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: GAO: Pentagon violated law with Bergdahl swap

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Hmmm.. two threads, one saying that they found Obama violated the law, the other that the Pentagon did.
    The Pentagon works for Obama, what's your point?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #12
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,018

    Re: GAO: Pentagon violated law with Bergdahl swap

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    'WASHINGTON (AP) The Pentagon broke the law when it swapped Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, a prisoner in Afghanistan for five years, for five Taliban leaders, congressional investigators said Thursday.
    The nonpartisan Government Accountability Office said the Defense Department failed to notify the relevant congressional committees at least 30 days in advance of the exchange a clear violation of the law and used $988,400 of a wartime account to make the transfer. The GAO also said the Pentagon's use of funds that hadn't been expressly appropriated violated the Antideficiency Act.
    "In our view, the meaning of the (law) is clear and unambiguous," the GAO wrote to nine Republican senators, including Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., and various committees. "Section 8111 prohibits the use of 'funds appropriated or otherwise made available' in the Department of Defense Appropriations Act, 2014, to transfer any individual detained at Guantanamo Bay to the custody or control of a foreign entity' except in accordance" with the law.
    The GAO said the relevant committees received phone calls from May 31 the day of the transfer to June 1, with written notification coming on June 2.'


    https://news.yahoo.com/gao-pentagon-...iacontentstory


    So, not only was it, imo, a stupid move (negotiating with terrorists), but it also appears to indeed be illegal.
    Im sure no one will be held accountable. Remember Obama laughed when congress initiated a lawsuit. Then if they pass a law saying 'seriously dont break the law' hell just break that law.

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: GAO: Pentagon violated law with Bergdahl swap

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Obama doesn't give a **** about this. Remember their motto, "By any means necessary." He's the President, he thinks he can do any ****ing thing he wants, didn't he even say so?
    In this case he was absoultely correct. You do not leave a U.S. serviceman's life in the hands of terorrists. Even McCain said Obama did the right thing getting him back.

  4. #14
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: GAO: Pentagon violated law with Bergdahl swap

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    In this case he was absoultely correct. You do not leave a U.S. serviceman's life in the hands of terorrists.
    The US left a US citizen and news reporter in the hands of terrorists and we saw him get his head cut off on youtube.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: GAO: Pentagon violated law with Bergdahl swap

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    The US left a US citizen and news reporter in the hands of terrorists and we saw him get his head cut off on youtube.
    They weren't just "left" a rescue was tried as well. Just because it didn't work doesn't mean we don't try. Yet again, you ignore the reality.

  6. #16
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: GAO: Pentagon violated law with Bergdahl swap

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    They weren't just "left" a rescue was tried as well. Just because it didn't work doesn't mean we don't try. Yet again, you ignore the reality.
    Irrelevant whether a rescue was tried or not... why didn't this administration trade 5 more prisoners for the US citizen?
    Last edited by Ockham; 08-22-14 at 10:34 AM. Reason: spelling
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: GAO: Pentagon violated law with Bergdahl swap

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Im sure no one will be held accountable. Remember Obama laughed when congress initiated a lawsuit. Then if they pass a law saying 'seriously dont break the law' hell just break that law.
    You are probably right.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: GAO: Pentagon violated law with Bergdahl swap

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Irrelevant whether a rescue was tried or not... why didn't this administration trade 5 more prisoners for the US citizen?
    It is relevant because you said they were just "left" there. Sorry but that is factually incorrect.

    Because they wanted money. Are you saying we should have given ISIS 135 million dollars?

  9. #19
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: GAO: Pentagon violated law with Bergdahl swap

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    It is relevant because you said they were just "left" there. Sorry but that is factually incorrect.

    Because they wanted money. Are you saying we should have given ISIS 135 million dollars?
    He was left there. He was not rescued, a ransom was not paid - that's a fact. So why is Bergdahl worth 5 taliban, and this reporter not worth money - money which I might add is printed by our government at a whim?

    What you seem to be avoiding is Obama's administration set a precedent - that was to negotiate a prisoner exchange, e.g., ransom, for a low level US military member who may or may not have abandoned his post and went AWOL or deserted. That has been lauded by many as the "right" thing to do. So, now we have a US citizen who was held for ransom and a deal was not made. Why was that the "right" thing to do and it is directly contrary to the former precedent. Are US military MORE valuable than US Citizens and if so - why?

    To answer your question - since the Obama administration paid a ransom of 5 taliban leaders for Bergdahl - he should have had no problem with a paltry 135 million dollars for a US citizen and news reporter.... I fail to see the clear difference here. Explain it to me.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  10. #20
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: GAO: Pentagon violated law with Bergdahl swap

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    In this case he was absoultely correct. You do not leave a U.S. serviceman's life in the hands of terorrists. Even McCain said Obama did the right thing getting him back.
    Even as trades go it was foolish and a lousy deal. McCain has no personal axe to grind when it comes to prisoners of war does he?. Really?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •