Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 208

Thread: Another fatal shooting in St. Louis

  1. #71
    Verifier
    Gladiator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Your Back Yard
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,877

    Re: Another fatal shooting in St. Louis

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    And the Officer MIGHT have got stabbed up trying to use it too.

    But instead the Officer is alive and unharmed and the knife wielding "suicide by cop" guy is deceased.....good.

    It is good that the police are alive.

    What was the intoxication level of drugs and alcohol for the man with the knife? If the man with the knife had been subdued, would his belligerent behavior become more rational?


    Maybe one officer could have taken responsibility for using the taser, and one officer could have had his pistol aimed at the suspect.

    The team work could have been training for one officer to take the non-lethal tactics and the other officer to be ready with live bullets.

    Did the officer have the 35 Foot cartridges for their tasers?


    Had the police chief asked for upgraded tasers in the budget?

    When was the last time the officers had practiced tasers with the taser training laptop? What taser training was available to the officers? What is the average number of police training hours per 4 months on taser training? Pepper spray training? Did the officers have gas masks, so they could have protected themselves from pepper spray back wind?


    The Police Chief needs to explain why he has not asked fro more money for upgraded 35 foot tasers. The police chief should have a strategy practiced for the utilization of non-lethal tasers or pepper spray, by at least one officer in the responding team of officers. The video shows that both officers had a clear view of the man with the knife, and either officer could have used a taser first. There was clearly time on the video, for having used a taser before shots were fired.




    //
    Last edited by Gladiator; 08-27-14 at 03:24 AM.
    _______________________________
    How did Our Oil get under Their Sand?

  2. #72
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Another fatal shooting in St. Louis

    Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
    Two police approaching the man with a knife. The man was seemingly staggering drunk.
    The following can be set to 1080p.
    Please point out where you see him "seemingly staggering drunk".

    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  3. #73
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Another fatal shooting in St. Louis

    Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
    It is good that the police are alive.

    What was the intoxication level of drugs and alcohol for the man with the knife? If the man with the knife had been subdued, would his belligerent behavior become more rational?


    Maybe one officer could have taken responsibility for using the taser, and one officer could have had his pistol aimed at the suspect.

    The team work could have been training for one officer to take the non-lethal tactics and the other officer to be ready with live bullets.

    Did the officer have the 35 Foot cartridges for their tasers?


    Had the police chief asked for upgraded tasers in the budget?

    When was the last time the officers had practiced tasers with the taser training laptop? What taser training was available to the officers? What is the average number of police training hours per 4 months on taser training? Pepper spray training? Did the officers have gas masks, so they could have protected themselves from pepper spray back wind?


    The Police Chief needs to explain why he has not asked fro more money for upgraded 35 foot tasers. The police chief should have a strategy practiced for the utilization of non-lethal tasers or pepper spray, by at least one officer in the responding team of officers. The video shows that both officers had a clear view of the man with the knife, and either officer could have used a taser first. There was clearly time on the video, for having used a taser before shots were fired.




    //
    35 foot tasers are more ineffective. The taser probes spread apart as they go farther. While this creates a stronger effect on the subject, it also causes a hell of alot more misses because the probes spread to a point where they are landing on limbs which move around. I wouldn't trust them.

  4. #74
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,257

    Re: Another fatal shooting in St. Louis

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Red Herring. You are dodging the point... it is their job to use non-lethal means whenever they can. That is the point. They didn't even try here...
    If they saw the knife as the guy comes at them...kind of hard to consider that less lethal option. Especially when our cops don't wear stab proof vests (they do in the UK).


    They did and nobody was shoving cameras anywhere... How far do you have to get back though? The cop was sending them to BFE 100 meters back.
    GOOD! That permitter has to allow for everything including the lead up to the shooting and beyond. Sorry but I have read enough sherlock novels to know that details are important. Even the little ones. Can't have people trampling them.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  5. #75
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 09:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,267

    Re: Another fatal shooting in St. Louis

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    St. Louis police fatally shoot knife-wielding suspect | Fox News



    When it rains it pours...

    This one, on the surface, looks pretty cut and dried but in light of what is happening there already I fear that it will only stoke the fires.
    This incident, to me, appears to be a solid case of cold-blooded murder by the police.

  6. #76
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:56 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,802

    Re: Another fatal shooting in St. Louis

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    If they saw the knife as the guy comes at them...kind of hard to consider that less lethal option. Especially when our cops don't wear stab proof vests (they do in the UK).




    GOOD! That permitter has to allow for everything including the lead up to the shooting and beyond. Sorry but I have read enough sherlock novels to know that details are important. Even the little ones. Can't have people trampling them.
    Good points. I concede.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #77
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,257

    Re: Another fatal shooting in St. Louis

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Good points. I concede.
    yea. I want proper investigation. I understand cops can be morons.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  8. #78
    Verifier
    Gladiator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Your Back Yard
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,877

    Re: Another fatal shooting in St. Louis

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    35 foot tasers are more ineffective. The taser probes spread apart as they go farther. While this creates a stronger effect on the subject, it also causes a hell of alot more misses because the probes spread to a point where they are landing on limbs which move around. I wouldn't trust them.
    So the 35 foot cartridge should be as accurate as the 17 foot cartridge, at 17 feet.

    The 35 foot cartridge may be less reliable, the further from 17 feet, but the accuracy of the projectiles is just as good, closer up.

    Did the Police Chief make the 35 foot cartridges available to the officers? Did the Chief request the 100 foot range tasers?

    Were the officers trained to use non-lethal options first? Was there a reason why the officer decided not to apply their training in non-lthal approaches?





    //
    _______________________________
    How did Our Oil get under Their Sand?

  9. #79
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,678

    Re: Another fatal shooting in St. Louis

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    He had a knife in his hand, approaching police and was within 3 to 4 feet of police when they shot him. I would have shot him too. A stun gun is not reliable enough in that situation.

    Is there a reason that the guy couldn't have dropped the knife when the police repeatedly asked him to?
    A man with a gun can kill a cop/person before they have time to draw, aim, and fire their weapon if they are within 21 feet. Tueller Drill, researched and admissable in court. It can take only 1.5 seconds for the attacker to reach the cop/person.

    Within 3 or 4 feet? The person's momentum could kill before a taser stopped them, or was even drawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #80
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,678

    Re: Another fatal shooting in St. Louis

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Tazers are not always effective.

    So, YOU have a highly agitated guy, brandishing a knife, refusing your commands, he may be on something ( you dont know ) and you have the choice of maybe pissing him off even more with a tazer and losing the 2 or 3 seconds needed to pull your pistol and stop the threat before he plunges that knife in your neck, or do you defend yourself properly ?

    Cops deserve to go home to their families every night too.
    One gun shot may not even be enough. Unless perfectly placed, it takes more than one shot to 'instantly stop' any attacker, much less one amped up by mental illness, drugs, or adreneline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •