Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 395

Thread: Convicted Child Molester Suing After Being Raped in Garfield County Jail[W:186]

  1. #151
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    re: Convicted Child Molester Suing After Being Raped in Garfield County Jail[W:186]

    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    Bull**** because it's still happening and nothing (rightfully) is being done about it.
    Not enough (wrongfully) is being done about it, but there are signs of progress.

    "Farmer v. Brennan, 511 U.S. 825 (1994), was a case in which the Supreme Court of the United States ruled that a prison official's "deliberate indifference" to a substantial risk of serious harm to an inmate violates the cruel and unusual punishment clause of the Eighth Amendment. An amicus brief was submitted by Stop Prisoner Rape,[1] which lauded the decision.[2]"...


    ...U.S. Federal law, under the Prison Rape Elimination Act of 2003, calls for the compilation of national prison rape statistics, annual hearings by a review panel, and the provision of grants to the states to address prison rape.

    In 2012, the US Justice department issued nationally enforceable protocols to all correctional institutions to expand upon the provisions of the 2003 PREA ACT. The move is an effort to prevent, detect and respond to prison rape more effectively. The measure includes numerous provisions, such as barring juveniles from being housed with adult inmates, a ban on cross-gender pat-down searches, video monitoring and special attention to lesbian, gay, transgender or bisexual inmates vulnerable to abuse. Attorney General, Eric Holder noted that “these standards are the result of a thoughtful and deliberative process – and represent a critical step forward in protecting the rights and safety of all Americans.”....
    Wikipedia

    "...All states have to put the new standards into place, including things like training staff to stop sexual assaults and report them properly, and providing victims with rape kits and counseling. Then states have to pass an audit. If they don't pass, or don't want to go through the audit, they will lose 5 percent of their federal prison grant funding..."
    Enforcing Prison Rape Elimination Standards Proves Tricky : NPR

  2. #152
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,275

    re: Convicted Child Molester Suing After Being Raped in Garfield County Jail[W:186]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    And? Does that somehow matter? The crime is a matter of law that came about because of the opinion of men, not some important fact of any real value.
    Um, wow. Yes, some men thought it was a good idea to make it a law that adult men can't rape little pre-pubescent children. Maybe the fact that little girls shouldn't get raped by grown men is an important fact to some people.

  3. #153
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    re: Convicted Child Molester Suing After Being Raped in Garfield County Jail[W:186]

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncensored2008 View Post
    They should not be part of it, but I question your claim that they are not.

    The prison industrial complex thrives on violence and corruption.
    True, I should likely be a bit more careful in what I am stating. Torture, rape, murder, etc cannot be allowed to be part of the prison system.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #154
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    re: Convicted Child Molester Suing After Being Raped in Garfield County Jail[W:186]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    They put themselves in prison with their actions.

    What suggestion do you have to avoid cell mates raping each other?
    There would necessarily need to be quite a bit of overhaul from reducing prison population to finding more efficient means to keep prisoners tracked and in line. Nobody really "puts themselves into prison". It's not voluntary. We throw them into prison because they have been found guilty in a court of law of actions which are destructive to a peaceful and free society, which is necessary. But we are still the ones to throw them into prison and we are still responsible for their well being.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #155
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    re: Convicted Child Molester Suing After Being Raped in Garfield County Jail[W:186]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    No, THEIR behavior is ape behavior and it's to be expected, when you put that many animals in one place. Have you ever seen what happens when you ring a chicken's neck, inside the chicken yard? The other chickens attack the dieing chicken. Why? Because they're animals. Or, have you seen what happens when too many dogs are in a pen? They start killing each other...because that's what animals do. Prison is no different.
    Just because they have given into ape behavior doesn't mean that I must as well.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #156
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    re: Convicted Child Molester Suing After Being Raped in Garfield County Jail[W:186]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Um, wow. Yes, some men thought it was a good idea to make it a law that adult men can't rape little pre-pubescent children. Maybe the fact that little girls shouldn't get raped by grown men is an important fact to some people.
    Yeah, so your point is what? We are debating the nature of how people end up in prison, not what acts they committed and why. You can declare this act is just and this act is not all you want, but it still doesn't change the fact that throwing people in prison is force.

    Oh, and it's not a fact. All laws are based on opinion.
    Last edited by Henrin; 08-18-14 at 06:53 PM.

  7. #157
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    re: Convicted Child Molester Suing After Being Raped in Garfield County Jail[W:186]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Nobody really "puts themselves into prison". It's not voluntary.

    If people aren't responsible for their own actions, who is responsible?

  8. #158
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,275

    re: Convicted Child Molester Suing After Being Raped in Garfield County Jail[W:186]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    There would necessarily need to be quite a bit of overhaul from reducing prison population to finding more efficient means to keep prisoners tracked and in line. Nobody really "puts themselves into prison". It's not voluntary. We throw them into prison because they have been found guilty in a court of law of actions which are destructive to a peaceful and free society, which is necessary. But we are still the ones to throw them into prison and we are still responsible for their well being.
    They are "thrown" into prison because they commit and are convicted of a crime. I don't support the idea of chain gangs so I didn't suggest that their well being shouldn't be considered. But short of building thousands of prisons with single dorm rooms, how does a prison prevent this from happening again?

    Sorry, I disagree that it isn't voluntary. You have a choice. Commit a crime - or don't. If you don't, chances are you won't go to prison.

  9. #159
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    re: Convicted Child Molester Suing After Being Raped in Garfield County Jail[W:186]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    That isn't a suggestion. What's the suggestion?

    Chances are good that prisons put violent criminals with each other. They probably aren't going to put the 74 year old who cheated on his taxes in with a guy who killed 4 people.
    This is a start:
    PRISON RAPE ELIMINATION ACT LOCKUP STANDARDS
    United States Department of Justice Final Rule
    National Standards to Prevent,
    Detect, and Respond to Prison Rape
    http://www.prearesourcecenter.org/si...pe-lockups.pdf

  10. #160
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,275

    re: Convicted Child Molester Suing After Being Raped in Garfield County Jail[W:186]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Yeah, so your point is what? We are debating the nature of how people end up in prison, not what acts they committed and why. You can declare this act is just and this act is not all you want, but it still doesn't change the fact that throwing people in prison is force.
    So then don't throw them in prison, is that right? Just let 'em rape little girls at will, and pretend we don't see it? That's the alternative, although I like SMTA's suggestion of you taking them into your home too.

Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •