Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 198

Thread: ‘I just kept asking: Why am I being arrested for sitting in my aunt’s driveway?’

  1. #151
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,943

    Re: ‘I just kept asking: Why am I being arrested for sitting in my aunt’s driveway?’

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    It is telling that the guy didn't say, "Hey!! I live there!" He said no such thing. He and four other guys were sitting in his aunt's driveway. That's not "at home" or on his own private property. That's on somebody else's private property. The purpose of an emergency curfew is that people go home or are holed in where they'll be sleeping for the night. It's a chicken-**** arrest though. But it does let them get people off the streets.
    That's where he was. If the curfew is in place at that time and he's there, he certainly not going to be going home to any other place since he's not allowed on the streets, is he? The same with the others. For whatever reasons he was obviously staying at his aunts house for at least that night.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Try again.
    Focus on what I actually said this time, and not what you think I said.
    But way to show it is too difficult for you to find.
    See your kitty twin above. ^ (from the quoted post. Not where this one ends up )

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    I also suspect that it will be possible in some states for the Governor to define it as he sees necessary. I can certainly imagine a variety of situations where it would be advantageous to have a flexible definition.
    I can see that as well, but there would still have to be something somewhere that give the Governor that power and there would have to be the executive order issued that details what that specific curfew entailed. All I am asking is for official legal wording that shows that these individuals were indeed violating the curfew and not just the victims of some overzealous police and city officials.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Funny. One would think that you would slink away in embarrassment when you are wrong, but you never do.
    I pointed out what we were dealing with. Which was not your absurd juvenile curfew code from Boise, but with Curfew under a state of Declared Emergency.
    Then there should be a written document about this. Please do provide.

    None of which are law or part of any "Declared Emergency". It has often been shown that legal definitions can vary from those in dictionaries. With regards to what the police can do, only the legal definition is applicable, which is why such things are defined in laws.

    It is also funny that you ignore what they were actually charged with, failing to disperse.
    Again dispersing to where? They were already where they were dispersing to. Since the curfew is in place at the time of their arrest they certainly were not going to be traveling to any other residence. Therefore they were at the place where they were going to be spending the night. It would be interesting to know if they have applied this same standard to a single person who was outside smoking during curfew hours.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    No they didn't.
    That is why they were charged with it.
    So police never make the wrong charges?

    As an aside, it's kinda of kewl to watch the avatars of Excon and Dezaad go back and forth. Almost makes you wonder if they're some kind of MPD person.
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  2. #152
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: ‘I just kept asking: Why am I being arrested for sitting in my aunt’s driveway?’

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    So, you think that the curfew does not permit you to stay at another person's residence for the night? I don't agree that an emergency curfew necessarily insists that people "go home". I think that may merely be the way the actual wording is most often interpreted, and the cops may even be confused about it. They aren't lawyers and don't always know what the law really says. I really do want to see the wording.

    However, regardless of the wording, I will still need convincing that there wasn't reason for confusion. Actually, no one will in fact be able to convince me because I am confused about what the law would say even now. Again, youth curfew laws DO allow for you to be at any private residence, and since the word curfew is used in both cases, people may come to believe that the laws are very similar. And also again, when we do question exact boundaries, we expect laws to make sense. People being permitted to gather in small social groups on private property seems harmless or at least could seem harmless, especially to people who are just actually being social. As long as they won't be leaving the property to return to their own homes, they might think they were ok. I think it is ridiculous that people are assuming that these people were intentionally trying to be difficult.
    There's obviously some confusion about exactly what was imposed: I've been unable to find the exact wording of the order. Regardless, it would be a chicken arrest, in my opinion. Would cops approach a car like that with extreme caution? I sure would. They were ordered out of the car and didn't comply. The guy says he was afraid to reach down for the door handle. I might have been, too. I'm just arguing principle here. By the young man's own admission that's just "stopped by". That indicates they weren't home and intended to leave at some point. These are dangerous times. The guy was an idiot. He belonged at home. You KNOW there's rioting all over the city. You KNOW the cops are jumpy. You KNOW you intend to violate curfew because you're not at home. Their actions were reckless. Period.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #153
    Sage
    _Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    somewhere across the border in the great North
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,357

    Re: ‘I just kept asking: Why am I being arrested for sitting in my aunt’s driveway?’

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    Please explain to me why they should be arrested for smoking in a driveway, not being a bother to anyone. It really isn't making sense.
    I don't think they should be arrested. This was FUBAR by the police from the get go. This shouldn't have been handled like desert storm...it was over the top. Some bright-eyed wanna-be caused the death of a human being and there was over zealous reaction. Even the curfew is lame but, the situation is out of control.

    Someone has to stop, back up and let the dust settle. I do not think a powder-keg situation where people are all hopped up on adrenaline is the place to take a stand.

    I would rather lose the battle and win the war.

  4. #154
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: ‘I just kept asking: Why am I being arrested for sitting in my aunt’s driveway?’

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Funny. One would think that you would slink away in embarrassment when you are wrong, but you never do.
    I pointed out what we were dealing with. Which was not your absurd juvenile curfew code from Boise, but with Curfew under a state of Declared Emergency.

    You should be embarrassed simply for providing such nonsense in the first place.

    And it should be very embarrassing for you not to realize what was being spoken about in the first place, which was the common and generally accept definition as provided. "a regulation requiring people to remain indoors."

    Which these sources all agree.

    Yeah, you should really be embarrassed for not knowing what the word generally meant and for not knowing specifically what was being discussed.
    I guess that is what you get for assuming as you usually do.


    Apparently you are confused, and should be ashamed that you are.
    I never said I did show such, did I?

    You see, most folks know we are dealing with a curfew put in place under a state of emergency to quell looting, rioting and damage.
    A curfew that includes adults, which is different in purpose scope and reason than that for juveniles.

    And I never said what you assumed, I merely pointed out that we are dealing with an entirely different type of curfew than the juvenile curfew you supplied. You obviously didn't realize that and assumed something totally different. Your failure.

    They are not the same, and you should be extremely embarrassed for providing it.

    And hell, unlike you, some of us know that a general curfew that covers adults is held to a different standard of review/scrutiny in courts than that of a juvenile curfew.



    What is funny is that you get to be shown wrong every time you speak such nonsense.



    Yeah, I have.
    You clearly didn't know the general definition, even though most sources say the same thing. D'oh!


    That's funny.
    I am speaking about the generally known and accepted definition as provided, and you go off on a "legal concept" tangent.
    Maybe you should pay attention to what has been said as you were told.

    So again:
    So that is why you lack understanding. You failed to realize that generally curfew means a regulation requiring people to remain indoors.

    Good thing that you have now been educated. That way you wont make the same mistake the idiots did in getting arrested for not dispersing. iLOL



    And let me ask since your thought processes seem convoluted; What exactly do you think is meant by "a regulation", when defining Curfew? Do you absurdly think that they are not referring to the legal concept of regulation and are all wrong in their definition? iLOL


    It is also funny that you ignore what they were actually charged with, failing to disperse.

    You are like a gift that keeps on giving.

    I made it very clear that the reason I was giving the juvenile curfew definition was for two reasons: One, because I couldn't yet find an emergency curfew definition. And two, more importantly because I believe that definition is more properly the one that should be called a 'common' definition. It is the one that would be most likely to be used to understand what curfew means by the vast majority of people because that is the one people grow up understanding as a matter of the course of adolescence.

    I am the first one to have given the Dictionary.com definition, and no, it doesn't agree with your idea about what curfew means. Another of the definitions gives both notions. I think part of your delightfulness is that you often show a failure to comprehend what you are reading. It was because the dictionary definitions were at odds with each other about the specifics that I began to turn more to the legal definitions as a way to decide which dictionary definitions should be considered correct. Indeed, the legal definition would still be what some people thought to be the common definition. Pragmatically speaking, those people would be more correct, since this is what actually affects people. It has been shown in glaring clarity in several posts I made from last night that the legal definition is at least often similar to only SOME of the dictionary definitions.

    Yes, I think some of the dictionary definitions have been shown by me in several posts to be wrong, both for juveniles and for emergency curfews. They are wrong because at least several states define curfew as simply being vacated from public places, just as I thought they might, and the dictionary definitions are too specific in defining it as the need to be 'home'.

    It is YOU that lacks understanding. This is for the following reasons. You fail to have imagination and pragmatic intuitiveness about what might be. This seems to cause you to lock in on your first idea about a thing, which looks to be whatever it is that you were hoping a thing to be. You then fail to leave yourself open to whatever you find, and become blinded by early confirmation bias. After all this, almost as ridiculous as a court jester, you foolishly become condescending.

    I think it is funny that you think the failure to disperse and the emergency curfew are likely not intertwined. Are you going to entertain us with more unwarranted condescension about that, too?
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  5. #155
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: ‘I just kept asking: Why am I being arrested for sitting in my aunt’s driveway?’

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    There's obviously some confusion about exactly what was imposed: I've been unable to find the exact wording of the order. Regardless, it would be a chicken arrest, in my opinion. Would cops approach a car like that with extreme caution? I sure would. They were ordered out of the car and didn't comply. The guy says he was afraid to reach down for the door handle. I might have been, too. I'm just arguing principle here. By the young man's own admission that's just "stopped by". That indicates they weren't home and intended to leave at some point. These are dangerous times. The guy was an idiot. He belonged at home. You KNOW there's rioting all over the city. You KNOW the cops are jumpy. You KNOW you intend to violate curfew because you're not at home. Their actions were reckless. Period.
    You are speculating about the part that they intended to violate the curfew at some future moment. They might have intended to stay the night at the house at which they had arrived. For all we know, they went there because it was in range, and they didn't have time to reach their desired destination. They MAY have been complying the best they could in their specific situation. You don't know anything about that. Bottom line: They probably weren't violating the specific legal order, but that remains to be seen when someone comes up with what the order actually was. I am open to that possibility. And they certainly weren't violating any 'common' definition, unless two of the dictionary definitions defines what people commonly understand.
    Last edited by Dezaad; 08-18-14 at 11:12 AM.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  6. #156
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: ‘I just kept asking: Why am I being arrested for sitting in my aunt’s driveway?’

    Quote Originally Posted by csense View Post
    Violating the curfew by being outside is the definition of doing something wrong. C'mon Henrin, you're smarter than this. Most people who are law abiding are aware of the societal norms that surround them. If a curfew is in effect, then they follow it. They may bitch about it, but they follow it, because they also know that such a curfew makes it significantly easier for law enforcement to isolate the troublemakers.

    If you are so dense that you don't know what is required of you during a curfew, then maybe getting arrested is a good lesson for you...
    No, people that will break the law will do it under a curfew or not. It has no real effect on people breaking the law. On top of that you will have people out and about because they can not otherwise avoid it or because they are purposely breaking curfew laws to practice their right to assembly or other activities.

    Keep in mind that minority populations tend to view curfews as an instrument of political oppression and have a much higher tendency to ignore them.
    Last edited by Henrin; 08-18-14 at 11:22 AM.

  7. #157
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,416
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: ‘I just kept asking: Why am I being arrested for sitting in my aunt’s driveway?’

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    Yep. That's exactly what I always thought it meant, and that is most often what it does in fact mean (under normal circumstances). Except that it also includes that you can't be in businesses either.

    I am frustrated that I can't find a local news source, like the St. Louis Post Dispatch, that actually tells people what they are actually supposed to do. You would think that in the midst of their breathless accounts of the controversy, they would actually you know, do some reporting and tell people useful information.

    I have been to the Missouri government site, law sites, local newspapers, etc etc. As far as I can tell, the Missouri law doesn't refer to 'Emergency Curfew' by the word 'curfew' within the writing of their laws.
    I did the same thing. Nothing about it.

    Unconstitutionally vague, probably, considering I could find NO specifics either.

    Maybe that how they're interpreting "state of emergency" as "whatever's we say it is at any given time".

    You would think there'd be a local news report with the specifics, but nada.

    Kinda strange, actually.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  8. #158
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,416
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: ‘I just kept asking: Why am I being arrested for sitting in my aunt’s driveway?’

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post


    Maybe you two can explain why you thought it meant differently than it's commonly understood definition?

    Curfew

    cur·few
    ˈkərˌfyo͞o/
    noun
    noun: curfew; plural noun: curfews

    a regulation requiring people to remain indoors between specified hours, typically at night.
    "a dusk-to-dawn curfew"
    the hour designated as the beginning of a curfew.
    "to be out after curfew without permission was to risk punishment"
    a daily signal indicating the start of curfew.

    https://www.google.com/search?q=Curf...-a&channel=rcs


    Or is it that you do not know what "remain indoors" means?
    I found other definitions. San Diego has a youth curfew, and it specifically states "at home" not inside. It includes the sidewalk immediately adjacent to the residence.

    Did you find the specific curfew order for Ferguson? What it actually says?

    Without it we are engaged in pure speculation.

    I find it odd it isn't ANYWHERE on the internet that I can find.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  9. #159
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,416
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: ‘I just kept asking: Why am I being arrested for sitting in my aunt’s driveway?’

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    Pretty sure hes trolling. Thats why I simply stopped arguing with him. He keeps flaunting that old world, tyrannical definition as if thats what the spirit of this curfew was supposed to address. Keeping looters off the streets and harassing people on private property are obviously 2 very different things. I think he simply hates "thugs". Had it been some old white guy smoking pipe tobacco on his porch maybe he'd show leeway?
    Excon actually obsessively replies. He can't NOT. Experimentally verified.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  10. #160
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,416
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: ‘I just kept asking: Why am I being arrested for sitting in my aunt’s driveway?’

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Funny. One would think that you would slink away in embarrassment when you are wrong, but you never do.
    I pointed out what we were dealing with. Which was not your absurd juvenile curfew code from Boise, but with Curfew under a state of Declared Emergency.

    You should be embarrassed simply for providing such nonsense in the first place.

    And it should be very embarrassing for you not to realize what was being spoken about in the first place, which was the common and generally accept definition as provided. "a regulation requiring people to remain indoors."

    Which these sources all agree.

    Yeah, you should really be embarrassed for not knowing what the word generally meant and for not knowing specifically what was being discussed.
    I guess that is what you get for assuming as you usually do.


    Apparently you are confused, and should be ashamed that you are.
    I never said I did show such, did I?

    You see, most folks know we are dealing with a curfew put in place under a state of emergency to quell looting, rioting and damage.
    A curfew that includes adults, which is different in purpose scope and reason than that for juveniles.

    And I never said what you assumed, I merely pointed out that we are dealing with an entirely different type of curfew than the juvenile curfew you supplied. You obviously didn't realize that and assumed something totally different. Your failure.

    They are not the same, and you should be extremely embarrassed for providing it.

    And hell, unlike you, some of us know that a general curfew that covers adults is held to a different standard of review/scrutiny in courts than that of a juvenile curfew.



    What is funny is that you get to be shown wrong every time you speak such nonsense.



    Yeah, I have.
    You clearly didn't know the general definition, even though most sources say the same thing. D'oh!


    That's funny.
    I am speaking about the generally known and accepted definition as provided, and you go off on a "legal concept" tangent.
    Maybe you should pay attention to what has been said as you were told.

    So again:
    So that is why you lack understanding. You failed to realize that generally curfew means a regulation requiring people to remain indoors.

    Good thing that you have now been educated. That way you wont make the same mistake the idiots did in getting arrested for not dispersing. iLOL



    And let me ask since your thought processes seem convoluted; What exactly do you think is meant by "a regulation", when defining Curfew? Do you absurdly think that they are not referring to the legal concept of regulation and are all wrong in their definition? iLOL


    It is also funny that you ignore what they were actually charged with, failing to disperse.
    "Generally" is not a term of law anywhere.

    Law is reason devoid of passion.

    It is specific, not general.

    Its written down somewhere what the specifics are. Dezaad will probably find it.

    Until then you're just playing the semantic games you always do.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •