Page 95 of 112 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast
Results 941 to 950 of 1120

Thread: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat [W:613/629]

  1. #941
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,194

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Texas has the line item veto for the Governor and the Legislature has the ability to override that veto, did they do it? Wonder why I don't hear about ethic's violations by a Democrat like Obama who does the same thing, or Pelosi, Reid? Double standards? Naw, couldn't be that
    I know, Democrats are ugly, stupid, ebil, and have poor hygiene.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  2. #942
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    I know, Democrats are ugly, stupid, ebil, and have poor hygiene.
    Maybe, but I sure wasn't when I spent much of my life as a Democrat

  3. #943
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,941
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    No, the idea that you don't understand the authority of the governor and the fact that he couldn't fire the DA.
    See, I think you are mistaken that I do not understand those two items.
    Both of those things are quite clear and not being debated.
    No one has said that the Texas governor does not have the power to veto. No one has said that Perry could have fired Lehmberg.

    What is being debated [or rather should be debated] is whether or not Perry's use of the veto threat in this instance was legal or not.
    The indictment makes the case that it was not legal.
    The indictment cites Texas law and shows how what was done matches the specifics of that Texas law.
    Logically, debate should be centered on whether or not the bill of particulars is correct, and if it is correct does the law apply to the governor.
    Sadly, hardly a soul seems interested in the pertinent questions about this issue.

    "Perry can threaten to veto," is not the opposite of "Perry used the threat of a veto inappropriately."
    It's quite possible for Perry to have the power to threaten to veto AND for that power to be mis-used.

    The actual and real question is whether or not Perry did mis-use the power as stated in the indictment (which I could link to if you decided to read it).

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    There is no reason required to veto legislation and there was no harm personally done to the DA.
    You still haven't read the indictment have you?
    The indictment does not charge Perry with not having a reason to veto the legislation, nor does it allege that there was some personal harm done to Lehmberg.
    You're defending Perry against charges that have not been made.
    I really would be glad to give another link to the indictment if you wanted to read it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You want this to be true therefore you are the one making a big deal of it.
    The "this" this time is that a governor must have a reason to veto legislation and that Lehmberg has been personally harmed?
    Not sure why you keep wanting to talk about me instead of the topic at hand. I am not interesting in the least. Plus, what you imagine I think is not accurate.
    go figure


    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You aren't going to like the Court's decision.
    I won't like or dislike the jury's verdict no matter what it is.
    If you would use what I have actually written to make your assessments about me instead of whatever you're using, you might have noticed that already.
    I may be wrong.

  4. #944
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    See, I think you are mistaken that I do not understand those two items.
    Both of those things are quite clear and not being debated.
    No one has said that the Texas governor does not have the power to veto. No one has said that Perry could have fired Lehmberg.

    What is being debated [or rather should be debated] is whether or not Perry's use of the veto threat in this instance was legal or not.
    The indictment makes the case that it was not legal.
    The indictment cites Texas law and shows how what was done matches the specifics of that Texas law.
    Logically, debate should be centered on whether or not the bill of particulars is correct, and if it is correct does the law apply to the governor.
    Sadly, hardly a soul seems interested in the pertinent questions about this issue.

    "Perry can threaten to veto," is not the opposite of "Perry used the threat of a veto inappropriately."
    It's quite possible for Perry to have the power to threaten to veto AND for that power to be mis-used.

    The actual and real question is whether or not Perry did mis-use the power as stated in the indictment (which I could link to if you decided to read it).

    You still haven't read the indictment have you?
    The indictment does not charge Perry with not having a reason to veto the legislation, nor does it allege that there was some personal harm done to Lehmberg.
    You're defending Perry against charges that have not been made.
    I really would be glad to give another link to the indictment if you wanted to read it.


    The "this" this time is that a governor must have a reason to veto legislation and that Lehmberg has been personally harmed?
    Not sure why you keep wanting to talk about me instead of the topic at hand. I am not interesting in the least. Plus, what you imagine I think is not accurate.
    go figure



    I won't like or dislike the jury's verdict no matter what it is.
    If you would use what I have actually written to make your assessments about me instead of whatever you're using, you might have noticed that already.
    Tom DeLay was indicted as well, what was the outcome in the courts? You believe an indictment is a conviction and of course it isn't. That will come out in trial and what you are going to find is that there was no personal harm done to the DA and Perry exercised his Constitutional rights as Governor. Doesn't matter what the reason is, the law is on his side whereas the leftwing public opinion isn't surprising.

    Yes, I read the indictment and stand by my statement, with no harm done there is no case

  5. #945
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,194

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You believe an indictment is a conviction and of course it isn't.
    Why are you deliberately lying about what Simon has stated?
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  6. #946
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    Why are you deliberately lying about what Simon has stated?
    Simon has stated that the facts are in the indictment and that isn't true at all, the facts will come out in trial, the indictment lists the charges. Why are you trolling?

  7. #947
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Tom Delay said this morning that he thinks it's totally unconstitutional for a local agency to have statewide jurisdiction. [...]

  8. #948
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    Why are you deliberately lying about what Simon has stated?
    It's a strawman. It's what some do when they don't have an argument.... they make something up and attribute it to their opponent. It only works if your target audience is rather dumb.

  9. #949
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    [...] You still haven't read the indictment have you? [...]
    The Perry supporters cannot acknowledge the indictment, since it is self-explanatory. Instead they must take you on a circuitous b.s. tour of anything and everything that has nothing to do with the indictment (constitutional law, the DA herself, partisan politics, etc). If asked specific questions about the indictment or the grand jury they must refuse to answer since -- again -- it is all quite self-explanatory and, in reality (another problem for the Perry supporters and the hard right in general) it makes pretty good sense (whether or not it is a 'stretch' as some pundits have labeled it).

    So -- you'll not get an honest debate from anyone supporting Perry on this issue. Best not to waste your breath addressing them directly.

  10. #950
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    It's a strawman. It's what some do when they don't have an argument.... they make something up and attribute it to their opponent. It only works if your target audience is rather dumb.
    So let me see if I got this right, you didn't say that the facts were listed in the Indictment? Seems that it is you that has a problem with no argument.

Page 95 of 112 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •