Page 89 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast
Results 881 to 890 of 1120

Thread: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat [W:613/629]

  1. #881
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Texmex View Post
    It's not Perry's job to force her to resign. The only reason he wanted her to resign is so he could appoint a republican in her place.
    Do you have any evidence of this, such as the name of that Republican?

  2. #882
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    You're so blinded by your own ideology. "An intelligent jury will take care of the guilt part" - what's that, guilty until proven innocent and if he's proven innocent it must be that the jury was stupid? I'm not "the Perry crowd" - I think Perry is basically an idiot, but that doesn't mean that I approve of abusing the judicial system in order to rid government of idiots. Hell, it that was the only criteria, you could clean out most political offices.

    You're simply obsessed with taking down a prominent Republican Governor - you fairly salivate at the possibility. You're not wasting time on logic because to do so would divert you from the agenda. It's fine to have that agenda, but don't spout nonsense about holding the higher ground when you transparently don't.
    That your argument has devolved to a series of partisan ad hominems and strawmen is not surprising.

  3. #883
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Do you have any evidence of this, such as the name of that Republican?
    Would you care to give the odds on him appointing a Democrat?

  4. #884
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I'm not attempting to deflect, just pointing out that at the jail, Rosemary Lehmberg did abuse her power, and it's all right there on tape. The Sheriff's Office could've made a deal out of this but didn't, and that was lucky for Lehmberg.
    So, since in your estimation Lehmberg got away with abusing her power then Perry should get away with abusing his?

    Interesting. I have heard of the concept that "two wrongs make a right" but I always thought it was a sarcastic postulate.

  5. #885
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,574

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Texmex View Post
    It's not Perry's job to force her to resign. The only reason he wanted her to resign is so he could appoint a republican in her place.
    Yeah! (Nothing to do with her being a drunkin, abusive slob.)
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  6. #886
    Educator Uncensored2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    06-02-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    655

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Would you care to give the odds on him appointing a Democrat?
    About the same as the odds of Obama nominating a SCOTUS justice who would follow the Constitution.

  7. #887
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-14 @ 02:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,824

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by newpublius View Post
    That's a great 'equitable' argument. It's not a constitutional argument. Fact is the veto power isn't qualified, the reason is simple, it's because somebody somewhere will obviously think it's a misuse of the person's veto power. Perry possesses an unqualified and unconditional power to veto any TX legislation, for any reason. That reason is subject to our review POLITICALLY, but criminally? Uh, no.....and again, my point about goi to court to get a writ is really quite pertinent......
    Vicariously Vicious

    You get a feeling of absolute power yourself if you support this unlimited veto power. Those who claim to be anti-statist always give themselves away. They want a totalitarian private sector and a government that protects it through absolute contempt for the will of the majority.
    On the outside, trickling down on the insiders.
    We won't live free until the 1% live in fear.
    Hey, richboys! Imagine the boot of democracy stomping on your faces, forever.

  8. #888
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,189

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    Yeah! (Nothing to do with her being a drunkin, abusive slob.)
    Are you dense? Whether or not she was drunk or not doesn't change the fact that it is none of Perry's business.

  9. #889
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-14 @ 02:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,824

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    If convicted, Perry has nobody to blame but himself, because if he hadn't run his mouth and made the threats, he would be in no trouble at all.
    Cliches to the Clink and Throw Away the Key, Just Like with RICO Rick

    Wait a minute. I question all trite statements. Perry did need to run his mouth off in public if he wanted to coerce Lehmberg into resigning. He wanted her gone for partisan reasons, using her private life as an excuse. He couldn't threaten her by a phone call because (1) she might tape it and (2) there wouldn't be pressure from the rest of the department to get her to resign in order to save their jobs.
    On the outside, trickling down on the insiders.
    We won't live free until the 1% live in fear.
    Hey, richboys! Imagine the boot of democracy stomping on your faces, forever.

  10. #890
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    I see that Perry is still spouting off in the media, while under indictment. Amazing -- not that he would be expected to understand that all these statements can be used against him in court, but that his handlers are letting him dig the hole deeper. Is the entire Perry camp, including the lawyers, that clueless?

Page 89 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •