Page 88 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast
Results 871 to 880 of 1120

Thread: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat [W:613/629]

  1. #871
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,194

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaaaman View Post
    While humorous, this isn't true. She didn't indict him.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  2. #872
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,189

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Indeed.

    But Excon seems to be arguing that even IF Perry did as accused, it does not constitute interference.

    That makes no sense to me, so I'm arguing with him under the assumption of the accusation being true, for the sake of argument.

    I agree that we know nothing for sure yet.
    If Rick Perry admitted his guilt, Excon would be arguing Perry was wrong.

  3. #873
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,189

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by newpublius View Post
    Veto threats are legal, Karl.
    Using veto threats to overrule the will of the people is not legal.

  4. #874
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,189

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Good thing none of the Sheriff's Office employees decided to make a deal out of what DA Lehmberg said to them then, eh? Because she definitely was abusing her office when she told them that they'd be the ones who'd end up in jail.
    Nice attempt at deflection. This isn't about what the Sheriff's office did or didn't do. It's about Perry and his abuse of power. I wonder if he will wear the same white uniform the other inmates do here in Texas. Maybe we could ship him off to Arpaio in Arizona, especially if he likes bologna.

  5. #875
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,189

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by newpublius View Post
    Statutes do NOT modify constitutions. Do you understand what that means? It means the TX legislature cannot, by statute, qualify the constitutional authority of the Governor.
    How ignorant can a position be? These laws have been of the books for decades, now you say they're not even constitutional? May I suggest you worry about that fat, sack-of-**** governor you have in New Jersey and let Texas take care of Perry.

  6. #876
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,189

    Re: hurdles debaters face when interacting with the general public

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    There're many differences.
    To start though, the US president wasn't subject to the particular Texas laws we're discussing.
    In the US, states can have laws that only apply inside of those states.
    The Texas laws we're discussing are those kinds of laws.

    I hope that helps you get one of the main differences.
    Doesn't help me at all because I know that coercion is coercion regardless of the particular outcome desired. The exercise of an unqualified political power conferred on a politician through the constitution either of the country or the state is not a crime provided the outcome is not illegal. Putting political pressure on an elected official to resign is not an outcome that is illegal, period.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  7. #877
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,903

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Texmex View Post
    Nice attempt at deflection. This isn't about what the Sheriff's office did or didn't do. It's about Perry and his abuse of power. I wonder if he will wear the same white uniform the other inmates do here in Texas. Maybe we could ship him off to Arpaio in Arizona, especially if he likes bologna.
    I'm not attempting to deflect, just pointing out that at the jail, Rosemary Lehmberg did abuse her power, and it's all right there on tape. The Sheriff's Office could've made a deal out of this but didn't, and that was lucky for Lehmberg.

  8. #878
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,189

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I'm not attempting to deflect, just pointing out that at the jail, Rosemary Lehmberg did abuse her power, and it's all right there on tape. The Sheriff's Office could've made a deal out of this but didn't, and that was lucky for Lehmberg.
    I understand. This has nothing to do with Perry's decision to attempt to force her to resign, however.

  9. #879
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,903

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    I disagree. I think this is why he wanted her to resign.

  10. #880
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,189

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I disagree. I think this is why he wanted her to resign.
    It's not Perry's job to force her to resign. The only reason he wanted her to resign is so he could appoint a republican in her place.

Page 88 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •