Page 84 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast
Results 831 to 840 of 1120

Thread: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat [W:613/629]

  1. #831
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I couldn't care less. Do you support executives standing in the way of bills on reasons which have nothing to do with politics and which demand that certain officials resign? Yes or no answer.
    Dershowitz is on Perry's side. What a shock.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  2. #832
    Educator newpublius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Riverdale, NJ
    Last Seen
    10-03-17 @ 08:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    714

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    Not passing a bill is much different than one person vetoing a bill after demanding someone resign. The legislature likely wouldn't even vote on a bill with that funding in the first place.
    No, it isn't actually, in both instances the party is exercising their constitutional authority.

  3. #833
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    From your link:

    Perry spent his first six years in politics as a Democrat, in a somewhat forgotten history that is sure to be revived and scrutinized by Republican opponents if he decides to run for president.

    A raging liberal he was not. Elected to represent a slice of rural West Texas in the state House of Representatives in 1984, Perry, a young rancher and cotton farmer, gained an early reputation as a fiscal conservative. He was one of a handful of freshman “pit bulls,” so named because they sat in the lower pit of the House Appropriations Committee, where they fought to keep spending low. Rick Perry: The Democrat Years | The Texas Tribune

    First, historically, Texas Democrats have been pretty conservative. Second, Perry was 34 in 1984 and is now 64. It's just as easy to think that his political thinking evolved as it is to deride him for "playing Democrat."

    In what way does Perry "make no bones" about being "in it for the money"? Again, links please.



    Please..

    Rick Perry might as well wear an oil industry shirt to work every day. He's their guy.



    That said, what's it really matter?



    -Rick Perry nationally is seen as an idiot.

    -Rick Perry in Texas itself is seen as an idiot by every liberal, independent and everything in between.

    -Rick Perry is a business conservative. In other words, he's a fake. He's a walking contradiction who quotes Ayn Rand on one hand (an atheist) and on the other hand preaches anti gay biblical statements. The man is an ideological nothing.

    He gives con men a bad name for his sloppiness. If you're going to lie, at least make your lies not ideologically contradict one another.

  4. #834
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,763

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by newpublius View Post
    No, it isn't actually, in both instances the party is exercising their constitutional authority.
    Nope, it isn't. Read my last post.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  5. #835
    Educator newpublius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Riverdale, NJ
    Last Seen
    10-03-17 @ 08:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    714

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Not when they are used to promote a crime, which the Travis County grand jury indictment points out.

    Owning a gun is legal too, but using it to threaten or coerce other law-abiding citizens into quitting their job is not.

    So, what your argument is missing is context, which I have now supplied. No extra charge
    His veto threat was perfectly legal. He vetoed funding for a government unit because it was run by somebody he didn't like. As a result in his judgment the funding itself was a bad idea BECAUSE that person was there. Removing the person removes the objection.

    Nonjusticiable political question, get used to that phrase, because that's how this is resolving.

  6. #836
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,763

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by newpublius View Post
    His veto threat was perfectly legal. He vetoed funding for a government unit because it was run by somebody he didn't like. As a result in his judgment the funding itself was a bad idea BECAUSE that person was there. Removing the person removes the objection.

    Nonjusticiable political question, get used to that phrase, because that's how this is resolving.
    No it isn't. It is a felony to make the threat. If Perry had just kept his mouth shut and simply defunded the unit, he wouldn't be in hot water. But he made the threat, and then carried it out, and now he is indicted. Here is the applicable portion of the law......

    "Sec. 39.02. ABUSE OF OFFICIAL CAPACITY. (a) A public servant commits an offense if, with intent to obtain a benefit or with intent to harm or defraud another, he intentionally or knowingly:

    (1) violates a law relating to the public servant's office or employment; or

    (2) misuses government property, services, personnel, or any other thing of value belonging to the government that has come into the public servant's custody or possession by virtue of the public servant's office or employment.
    "

    Once the grand jury ruled in her case, it was then "hands off". (2) is what applies here. Because the value is greater than 200K, it is a first degree felony.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  7. #837
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by newpublius View Post
    No, it isn't actually, in both instances the party is exercising their constitutional authority.
    You may be right. We'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  8. #838
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Actually I think Rick Perry basically describes the modern day insurrection within the GOP. Quoting Ayn Rand, a Russian Atheistic Capitalist and on the other hand using biblical attacks against everything from computer nerds to anything and everything.


    I don't think they could be more contradictory and ideologically conflicted to their core if they tried.

  9. #839
    Educator newpublius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Riverdale, NJ
    Last Seen
    10-03-17 @ 08:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    714

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Nope, it isn't. Read my last post.
    There's no difference that makes a difference except indicting the legislature becomes obviously absurd, it reveals the utter absurdity of indicting the Governor particularly when the legal remedy should be an action for a writ (which shouldn't issue). Anything beyond that is an absurdity and an assault on separation of powers.

  10. #840
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    If she wasn't obligated to resign because of her DUI, then wouldn't Perry not funding her office essentially be him firing her?
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Page 84 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •