Page 83 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast
Results 821 to 830 of 1120

Thread: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat [W:613/629]

  1. #821
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,909

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    But that is not the real issue. Here in Texas, it is a felony to use one's office to make threats, which is what he has been indicted for. If Perry had kept his big mouth shut, and just vetoed the funds, he wouldn't be in trouble. Instead, he made the threat after a grand jury decided that she could keep her job.
    Good thing none of the Sheriff's Office employees decided to make a deal out of what DA Lehmberg said to them then, eh? Because she definitely was abusing her office when she told them that they'd be the ones who'd end up in jail.

  2. #822
    Educator newpublius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Riverdale, NJ
    Last Seen
    10-03-17 @ 08:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    714

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    Don't you think it subverts the will of the voters who elected her to office?
    Nothing compelled her resignation, she could sit in an unfunded office with the lights out as ridiculous as that sounds. The local people wanted her in there, but the people of TX chose Perry and the fact is is that the state is funding this office. Perhaps the county should and Perry wouldn't be involved.

    If the TX legislature had, to a person, said they weren't passing legislation to fund this office and passes a concurrent resolution saying that is was because of her. WOULD YOU INDICT THE LEGISLATURE?

    Why not?

    Isn't that tyranny?

    Fact is checks/balances and separation of powers actually DOES vest powers. In the case of the legislature you wouldn't indict them because its simply within their legislative purview not to pass any law, FOR ANY REASON. Same with the executive branch, the executive branch DOES have powers vested in it and those powers CAN BE UTILIZED -- one of them is the power to VETO legislation and yes, Perry can do JUST THAT

  3. #823
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,751

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Good thing none of the Sheriff's Office employees decided to make a deal out of what DA Lehmberg said to them then, eh? Because she definitely was abusing her office when she told them that they'd be the ones who'd end up in jail.
    A separate grand jury was convened for that, and made the decision that she could keep her job, so you need to take that up with them.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  4. #824
    Educator newpublius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Riverdale, NJ
    Last Seen
    10-03-17 @ 08:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    714

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    he doesn't have the right to make threats. That is a felony under Texas law.
    Statutes don't modify constitutions. The TX Constitution vests authority in Perry to veto whatever he wants for whatever reason he wants and he can threaten and posture accordingly, the TX legislature can't, by statute change that. Sorry, that's not how our political system works.

  5. #825
    Educator newpublius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Riverdale, NJ
    Last Seen
    10-03-17 @ 08:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    714

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    A separate grand jury was convened for that, and made the decision that she could keep her job, so you need to take that up with them.
    And she didn't have to resign. But the state isn't compelled to fund her.

  6. #826
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,048

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Legal experts such as Dershowitz and DeGuerin disagree with you.
    I couldn't care less. Do you support executives standing in the way of bills on reasons which have nothing to do with politics and which demand that certain officials resign? Yes or no answer.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #827
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Good thing none of the Sheriff's Office employees decided to make a deal out of what DA Lehmberg said to them then, eh? Because she definitely was abusing her office when she told them that they'd be the ones who'd end up in jail.
    That has zero to do with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  8. #828
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,751

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by newpublius View Post
    And she didn't have to resign. But the state isn't compelled to fund her.
    No it isn't, but it is still a felony to make the threat. If Perry had just kept his mouth shut and simply defunded the unit, he wouldn't be in hot water. But he made the threat, and then carried it out, and now he is indicted. Here is the applicable portion of the law......

    "Sec. 39.02. ABUSE OF OFFICIAL CAPACITY. (a) A public servant commits an offense if, with intent to obtain a benefit or with intent to harm or defraud another, he intentionally or knowingly:

    (1) violates a law relating to the public servant's office or employment; or

    (2) misuses government property, services, personnel, or any other thing of value belonging to the government that has come into the public servant's custody or possession by virtue of the public servant's office or employment.
    "

    Once the grand jury ruled in her case, it was then "hands off". (2) is what applies here. Because the value is greater than 200K, it is a first degree felony.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  9. #829
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by newpublius View Post
    Veto threats are legal, Karl.
    Not when they are used to promote a crime, which the Travis County grand jury indictment points out.

    Owning a gun is legal too, but using it to threaten or coerce other law-abiding citizens into quitting their job is not.

    So, what your argument is missing is context, which I have now supplied. No extra charge

  10. #830
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by newpublius View Post
    Nothing compelled her resignation, she could sit in an unfunded office with the lights out as ridiculous as that sounds. The local people wanted her in there, but the people of TX chose Perry and the fact is is that the state is funding this office. Perhaps the county should and Perry wouldn't be involved.

    If the TX legislature had, to a person, said they weren't passing legislation to fund this office and passes a concurrent resolution saying that is was because of her. WOULD YOU INDICT THE LEGISLATURE?

    Why not?

    Isn't that tyranny?

    Fact is checks/balances and separation of powers actually DOES vest powers. In the case of the legislature you wouldn't indict them because its simply within their legislative purview not to pass any law, FOR ANY REASON. Same with the executive branch, the executive branch DOES have powers vested in it and those powers CAN BE UTILIZED -- one of them is the power to VETO legislation and yes, Perry can do JUST THAT
    Not passing a bill is much different than one person vetoing a bill after demanding someone resign. The legislature likely wouldn't even vote on a bill with that funding in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



Page 83 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •