Page 76 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast
Results 751 to 760 of 1120

Thread: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat [W:613/629]

  1. #751
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    [...] She is going to have a hard time proving that she was personally hurt by the Governor's action.
    She doesn't have to prove that. That's not even what the indictment is about

  2. #752
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    She doesn't have to prove that. That's not even what the indictment is about
    The indictment was ridiculous. He did not interfere with her duties.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  3. #753
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,872

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    These 2 statements seem to run contrary to each other. In one statement, is an acknowledgement that it's only 1/2 the story, facts, (or less) are known, and in the other, that all the facts are already known. So which is it? Or can't you decide what you think?

    As stated, I don't think that all the facts are known, and they'll come out with further investigation and at trial. You've agreed with that in the first statement. Let's just go with that for now.
    Well, the basics are known at this point, and not even an attorney with an ordinary practice is necessarily going to have a sophisticated understanding of the details of the law(s) on which this case may hinge. So I'm going to be paying attention to what legal experts say. Dershowitz has weighed in already, but it's Texas experts who are really going to understand the law. Here's what Dick DeGuerin, who is one of those experts, says:

    “The defendant has a distinct advantage in this case, because the governor of Texas has an absolute veto power over legislation — and that's what he did in this case,” said Dick DeGuerin, a Houston attorney who has defended such high-profile clients as former U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay. Legal experts call Perry indictment a stretch - San Antonio Express-News

  4. #754
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    The indictment was ridiculous. He did not interfere with her duties.
    Had he been successful in forcing her to resign, she would have been unable to do her duties. No one can sanely argue with that.

    Reading (the indictment) is not rocket science, folks

  5. #755
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,818
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Well, the basics are known at this point, and not even an attorney with an ordinary practice is necessarily going to have a sophisticated understanding of the details of the law(s) on which this case may hinge. So I'm going to be paying attention to what legal experts say. Dershowitz has weighed in already, but it's Texas experts who are really going to understand the law. Here's what Dick DeGuerin, who is one of those experts, says:

    “The defendant has a distinct advantage in this case, because the governor of Texas has an absolute veto power over legislation — and that's what he did in this case,” said Dick DeGuerin, a Houston attorney who has defended such high-profile clients as former U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay. Legal experts call Perry indictment a stretch - San Antonio Express-News
    Well, there ya go. At least for now, until the judge and the court rules on the matter.
    Disinformation campaign? The Russian collusion meme pushed by the 'news' media, behaving as a political propaganda organ, hell bent to destroy a legitimately elected president to implement his agenda per the votes of the same electorate. Reference The Big Lie Reference Goebbels

  6. #756
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Had he been successful in forcing her to resign, she would have been unable to do her duties. No one can sanely argue with that.

    Reading (the indictment) is not rocket science, folks
    It is not an interference.
    If she had resigned she would have had no duties to preform.

    The indictment is flawed.
    It would be like saying the electorate not reelecting her would be interfering with her duties. When it simply isn't.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  7. #757
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    [...] It would be like saying the electorate not reelecting her would be interfering with her duties. When it simply isn't.
    If she were at the end of her term, seeking reelection, there would be no duties to perform were she not reelected. At the completion of her term, her duties would be completed as well. Were her term interrupted prematurely by Gov. GoodHair's threats, then her duties would be prematurely interrupted as well, in contravention of the desires of the electorate.

    The flaw is in your argument(s), not the indictment.

  8. #758
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,720

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    That is the right of any employer or Governor and there is nothing illegal about it, just like there is nothing illegal about Perry vetoing funding regardless of the reason. Liberals believe they can do no wrong and are "entitled" to a job for life and when challenged they always seek legal relief. Liberals aren't going to like the court rulings. If it is a jury trial and they find 12 idiots who don't understand the responsibilities of the Governor the appeals court will overrule on the merits and the law. She is going to have a hard time proving that she was personally hurt by the Governor's action.
    Perry can veto anything he wants. However.....

    1) He is not allowed to abuse his powers by making threats. That is a felony. The statute that applies is Texas 39.02DPS23990064

    2) He is not allowed to pressure a public employee to resign by making a threat. That constitutes coercion, and is also a felony. The statute that applies is Texas 36.03DPS13990027
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  9. #759
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    If she were at the end of her term, seeking reelection, there would be no duties to perform were she not reelected. At the completion of her term, her duties would be completed as well. Were her term interrupted prematurely by Gov. GoodHair's threats, then her duties would be prematurely interrupted as well, in contravention of the desires of the electorate.

    The flaw is in your argument(s), not the indictment.
    No the flaw is in the indictment.
    And it is very similar to her not being reelected, as she would have no duties to preform if she resigned. As already stated.
    There is no interference at all.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  10. #760
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,250

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    First, the Travis County DA is employed by the people of Travis county. They did not try to fire her, and there is definitely a legal process for them to do so if they wish.

    Second, it is most certainly not the right of the Governor to fire or force the resignation of an elected official, especially a county-elected official. Otherwise what is the point of even having an election?

    Your argument seems more tailored for non-democratic governments like Russia, China, Iran, etc. Perhaps those are more Perry's style as well.
    The Travis County DA is run by the Democrat Party, and they get their funding from the state of TX. Governor Perry on behalf of the people of TX vetoed funding that would have gone to the DA who has financial difficulties and now a DWI. Why would anyone want their tax dollars to be spent by this individual.

    It is the right of the Governor to protect the taxpayers of this state and as I explained he did that. The facts in the case aren't known only the complaint which may or may not be fact. What Perry did was veto the funding part of the bill which was his right, The DA still has her job, you seem to not understand that.

    As for being another country, yours seems to be one where an employee of the state gets to keep their job for life and there are no consequences for personal problems that could cost the state taxpayers money. Not exactly sure what your style is.

Page 76 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •