Page 74 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast
Results 731 to 740 of 1120

Thread: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat [W:613/629]

  1. #731
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Sorry - look at the indictment presented above. It says that Perry acted illegally by coercing the DA in the performance of her duties - that's the charge. How is it any different when a President tells Congress that he will veto a bill if they include some language or don't include some language? Isn't the President coercing an outcome by using the power of his office?
    He is not coercing a person to quit their job. Surely everyone realizes the difference, which makes your argument desperate in the extreme. As I said in another thread, defending the indefensible is a losing proposition from the outset.

  2. #732
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Sorry - look at the indictment presented above. It says that Perry acted illegally by coercing the DA in the performance of her duties - that's the charge. How is it any different when a President tells Congress that he will veto a bill if they include some language or don't include some language? Isn't the President coercing an outcome by using the power of his office?
    The difference is very obvious: NO MEMBER OF CONGRESS IS THREATENED OF LOSING THEIR JOB BY THE PRESSIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES IF HE ACTS ON HIS VETO THREAT!

    Moreover, no President that I'm aware of has ever vetoed a bill simply because it didn't contain the funding level he desired, i.e., the Transportation bill, Farm bill or the recent $3T Border that's been dwindled down by both chambers of Congress to around $650B. Heck, President GW Bush didn't veto TARP because it didn't contain the higher funding level he wanted. He took what Congress ultimately gave him.

    My point here is President's typically don't veto bills due to lower than expected funding nor do they do so because they want someone out of a specific government position. They do so because the bill laying before them contains provisions (or the lack thereof) they don't like.

    Now, you can argue that's exactly what Gov. Perry did - veto a bill because it contained a spending measure he didn't like - but given the fact that he'd used the funding of the PUI as the basis of his veto threat to pressure DA Lehmberg to resign - his rational for using his veto power goes contrary to common reasoning behind budget reduction measures to justifies him exercising said veto for budget purposes.

    In other words, if Gov. Perry had said, "Texas is running a budget deficit and we need to make some significant across the board budget cuts. This bill doesn't go far enough in bringing our state's deficit under control," I don't think anyone would have argued with him. But I'm pretty sure that's not what happened here.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  3. #733
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Don't expect them to agree, and don't spend too much time on logic; just point out the absurdity. I think it's rather obvious to everyone, but the Perry crowd can't be expected to agree since that would be admitting guilt. An intelligent jury will take care of the guilt part.

  4. #734
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,930
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    I merely posted the indictment, as a matter of fact (that it exists, and that it alleges certain things) in response to your post indicating that you had apparently not read it or thought it did not exist or had not been published.



    Any assertions or comparisons beyond that are yours, and I would say not a matter of fact (and certainly not representative of my post). Again, I am here to discuss facts, not imagination or strawmen.
    The public indictment is NOT all the facts. These will come out during the ensuing investigation and court presentations.
    the Fix-is-in Bureau of Investigation

  5. #735
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    The public indictment is NOT all the facts. These will come out during the ensuing investigation and court presentations.
    Exactly, the indictment lays out the case, whether or not they are the facts remains to be seen

  6. #736
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    As a native Texan, I agree. He isn't likable. As far as I'm concerned Perry's the worst Gov. ever. Bush was bad, but not nears a bad as Perry. But their being elected isn't a good testament about Texas voters. Texas voters are a strange bunch. Or have become strange over the last 25 years.

    Perry's success has come from his handlers over the years. They can make him look good, but that's where it ends. When he opens his mouth...it's over. He's a prop. A moronic prop at that.


    Yes indeed.


    Rick Perry was an Austin Democrat right up unto the point at which he became an indirect Exxon employee. Now it's hard to tell if he truly believes or ever did believe anything politically speaking.

  7. #737
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    The public indictment is NOT all the facts.
    Did anybody say it was?

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    These will come out during the ensuing investigation and court presentations.
    Offhand I'd say all the facts of this case are already known. Would you care to hypothesize otherwise?

  8. #738
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Exactly, the indictment lays out the case, whether or not they are the facts remains to be seen
    Perry's public statements bear out the factuality of the indictment. He has, in essence, already admitted guilt to at least Count II of the indictment:


    Count II
    --------
    Beginning on or about June 10, 2013, and continuing through June 14, 2013, in the County of Travis, Texas, by means of coercion, to-wit: threatening to veto legislation that had been approved and authorized by the Legislature of the State of Texas to provide funding for the continued operation of the Public integrity Unit of the Travis County District Attorney's Office unless Travis County District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg resigned from her official position as elected District Attorney, James Richard "Rick" Perry, intentionally or knowingly influenced or attempted to influence Rosemary Lehmberg, a public servant, namely, the elected District Attorney for Travis County, Texas, in the specifIc performance of her official duty, to-wit: the duty to continue to carry out her responsibilities as the elected District Attorney for the County of Travis, Texas through the completion of her elected term of office, and the defendant and Rosemary Lehmberg were not members of the same governing body of a governmental entity, such offense having been committed by defendant, a public servant, while acting in an official capacity as a public servant.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1063651547

  9. #739
    Student
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 02:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    152

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Huh ?

    He has the authority to cut funding.

    The '' group" investigating him had to settle on this BS charge because they couldn't find anything else.

    He doesn't have anyw to worry about.

    Its not like he lied about the deaths of 4 Americans.
    You forget he's not a democrat.

  10. #740
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Perry's public statements bear out the factuality of the indictment. He has, in essence, already admitted guilt to at least Count II of the indictment:
    What he admitted doing was what the Constitution of TX allows him to do, veto a spending bill. You do realize that Elected Governors can veto Legislature passed bills? Did Rosemary Lehmberg lose her job?

Page 74 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •