Page 72 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast
Results 711 to 720 of 1120

Thread: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat [W:613/629]

  1. #711
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,250

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    The indictment is public record (last line of Count 1 didn't get faxed/scanned properly and is missing a few words):
    Wow, threatening to veto legislation which is within the authority of the Governor, why lock him up, hang him? What a bunch of bs. The Legislature passed a budget, the Governor has line item veto authority and exercised it. You aren't going to like the court's decision but apparently a bunch of like people like you hope beyond hope for a conviction

  2. #712
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    I actually had a large budget and faced cuts all the time, did more with less. Still waiting for you to explain to me how her job was threatened because she faced a budget cut?
    Let's see...

    Travel expenses for those under her cognizance, serving warrants, possible reduction in force of investigative staff and that's off the top of my head. I'm not familiar with all this office does. So, I'd be hard pressed to provide a more comprehensive list of other ways a funding reduction might negatively impact this office (PIU).

    You've mentioned that DA Lehmberg's salary wasn't part of the funding reduction in the bill Gov. Perry vetoed. You're correct in that her salary wasn't specifically mentioned in the court document covering the charges levied against him, but the $200,000 dollar amount may be telling. Care to guess how much DA Lehmberg's annual salary is?

    Per the Texas Tribune, $125,000 (last updated 2/27/2013). So, if her salary is actually part of the PUI's annual budget, her salary likely would have been impacted.

    The rest of your post is irrelevant to me as I fully understand how Congress can and has used the power of the purse to pressure a sitting President bend to their will just as Presidents have used their veto threat to pressure Congress to act accordingly.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  3. #713
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,250

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    The attempt was made. If you attempt to rob a bank or steal a car, but are unsuccessful, did you break the law?
    Attempted robbery is a crime and punishable, not vetoing legislation. Noticed you ran when you were told that the DA didn't lose her job only some funding. You seem to have a problem with Perry saving taxpayer dollars

  4. #714
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,180

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by voyager1 View Post
    Well like I said there is a legal question that has been raised. The courts will decide...
    The point is, from my perspective, the courts have no business deciding such issues.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  5. #715
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,250

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Let's see...

    Travel expenses for those under her cognizance, serving warrants, possible reduction in force of investigative staff and that's off the top of my head. I'm not familiar with all this office does. So, I'd be hard pressed to provide a more comprehensive list of other ways a funding reduction might negatively impact this office (PIU).

    You've mentioned that DA Lehmberg's salary wasn't part of the funding reduction in the bill Gov. Perry vetoed. You're correct in that her salary wasn't specifically mentioned in the court document covering the charges levied against him, but the $200,000 dollar amount may be telling. Care to guess how much DA Lehmberg's annual salary is?

    Per the Texas Tribune, $125,000 (last updated 2/27/2013). So, if her salary is actually part of the PUI's annual budget, her salary likely would have been impacted.

    The rest of your post is irrelevant to me as I fully understand how Congress can and has used the power of the purse to pressure a sitting President bend to their will just as Presidents have used their veto threat to pressure Congress to act accordingly.
    No, sorry, that was a typo her salary wasn't affected at all. She was a DA and managed the budget, her salary was exempt

  6. #716
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,180

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    The indictment is public record (last line of Count 1 didn't get faxed/scanned properly and is missing a few words):
    The actual language of the indictment makes zero sense and is probably why most independent people and legal types call it a reach at best and an abuse of process, not by Perry, but by the special prosecutor.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  7. #717
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Ask President Obama what he is doing to affect change using the powers of his office. And just as a side note, isn't it true that President Obama has threatened vetoes or refused to have legislation considered in exchange for getting some of his appointments through Congress? Is there a difference, in principle?
    The difference is he never used his veto power to force another duly elected official to resign from their position nor did he act on such a threat which purposely reduced funding to a specific department or program for the sole purpose of attempting to pressure said duly elected official to resign their position. That's the difference.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  8. #718
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,180

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    The difference is he never used his veto power to force another duly elected official to resign from their position nor did he act on such a threat which purposely reduced funding to a specific department or program for the sole purpose of attempting to pressure said duly elected official to resign their position. That's the difference.
    Sorry - look at the indictment presented above. It says that Perry acted illegally by coercing the DA in the performance of her duties - that's the charge. How is it any different when a President tells Congress that he will veto a bill if they include some language or don't include some language? Isn't the President coercing an outcome by using the power of his office?
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  9. #719
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    No, sorry, that was a typo her salary wasn't affected at all. She was a DA and managed the budget, her salary was exempt
    The same "typo" the President and Democrats claimed was made in the PPACA?

    Pot, meet kettle...kettle, meet pot. You crack me up!
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  10. #720
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,818
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    The indictment is public record (last line of Count 1 didn't get faxed/scanned properly and is missing a few words):
    All that is just claims by the DA filed for the court proceedings, all of which have yet to stand up in court and be proven.
    Asserting that the side you favor's claims are facts now? How is that any different than 'don't believe your lying eyes, believe what I tell you'?
    Disinformation campaign? The Russian collusion meme pushed by the 'news' media, behaving as a political propaganda organ, hell bent to destroy a legitimately elected president to implement his agenda per the votes of the same electorate. Reference The Big Lie Reference Goebbels

Page 72 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •