Page 69 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
Results 681 to 690 of 1120

Thread: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat [W:613/629]

  1. #681
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,190

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    I think the thing here is, he would have been fine if he didn't say anything about her resigning and he vetoed it.

    It's like you can decide not to hire someone because they are black. But if you tell them you are not hiring them because they are black you are in trouble.

    Gov. Perry stating his reason is why this falls into a grey enough area that a Grand Jury indicted him.
    Kind of a sad commentary on affairs when a politician is indicted for being honest about his actions/intentions and yet wouldn't have been indicted had he simply been dishonest or silent. Consequently, those who favour the Perry indictment have no one to blame but themselves when politicians decide now that dishonesty is the best policy.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  2. #682
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I don't equate the two. Perry committed no crime. The DA did. Perry didn't tarnish his office. The DA did. Perry was upfront and honest with the people of Texas - he clearly, and plainly told them that if this DA refused to resign, he would do everything in his power to see that her office was defunded. [...]
    Can you quote or explain the provisions of the Texas constitution or Texas law that allows the governor to punish individual people outside of the legal system?

  3. #683
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    You keep acting as if I have something personal to gain from a conviction here. I don't. I don't live in Texas. So, I wouldn't be impacted one way or the other no matter the outcome in what is now a legal issue. I'm not looking for a victory in this neither for Gov. Perry not the DA. I'm merely debating the issue, nothing more.

    As to the question of ethics, of course you can't see the problem because you refuse to see it as an abuse of power, a high-ranking government official overstepping his bounds, using his position as Governor of a state to force a duly elected official to leave her position. Again, Lehmberg wasn't appointed by him. So, she doesn't answer directly to him. She answers to the County Commissioner.
    I am sorry but there is nothing to debate, ethics isn't even an issue it is about the governor's authority and he has a right to veto any legislation he wants for whatever reason he wants. Where is the abuse of power? The money taken from the taxpayers is controlled by the Governor, sounds to me like the DA has an ethics problem not Perry. Why would any taxpayer want someone in office who abused the public trust to have any of their money? She didn't have to resign just like Perry didn't have to authorize the spending for whatever reason.

  4. #684
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Can you quote or explain the provisions of the Texas constitution or Texas law that allows the governor to punish individual people outside of the legal system?
    How was she personally punished? Part of her budget was cut, not her salary.

  5. #685
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I don't equate the two. Perry committed no crime. The DA did.
    Yes, she did, but was it conducted in the performance of her duties?

    You see, an elected official can be charged with misconduct and such could apply to her performance on and off duty. But that's not the charge levied against her. Her's is public intoxication. As such, was she drinking on or off the clock?

    It may sound like semantics, but it really isn't. Regardless, I agree that she should have resigned. However, I disagree that she should be forced to do so by the TX Governor.
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 08-17-14 at 07:15 PM.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  6. #686
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,190

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    It'd be like Obama vetoing any bill until the Republicans in the house resign.
    1. It wouldn't be like that, because at the federal level, the executive manipulates the judiciary. You can technically claim otherwise, but practically speaking, it's self-evident.

    2. If Obama threatened to veto a bill out of Congress unless Boehner resigned, are you saying that would be illegal? If so, under what laws?
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  7. #687
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,189

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    So what is it that you know that leads you to believe that Perry has engaged in corrupt activities?

    Or is this just a baseless accusation?
    Just use Google and the stories abound.

  8. #688
    Educator voyager1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    05-23-16 @ 12:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    974

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Exactly. At least he would have plausible deniability. I'm not really surprised that Perry is too dumb to know that, but rather shocked that his aides let him shoot his mouth off like that. As it stands he has no credible defense whatsoever.
    That is exactly what it comes down to. I am shocked Perry did this. He should have been smarter then this. This was an unforced error on the governor.

  9. #689
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    I am sorry but there is nothing to debate, ethics isn't even an issue it is about the governor's authority and he has a right to veto any legislation he wants for whatever reason he wants. Where is the abuse of power? The money taken from the taxpayers is controlled by the Governor, sounds to me like the DA has an ethics problem not Perry. Why would any taxpayer want someone in office who abused the public trust to have any of their money? She didn't have to resign just like Perry didn't have to authorize the spending for whatever reason.
    Then it is the taxpayers who elected her who should make that decision with the power of their vote OR their voices by either contacting the DA's office directly and voicing their displeasure, protesting or contacting the County Commissioner.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  10. #690
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,190

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    They were different types of recessions, with different causes. If you don't understand the extent of the debt bubble that was the cause of the GLOBAL recession that began in 2007, you really shouldn't be talking about appropriate responses. Besides, the "response" to the 2001 recession was to cut taxes, blow up the deficit, start a war, greatly expand government spending, and then start blowing up the debt bubble that collapsed in 2007. You think that was a sustainable economic plan?

    Besides, note the employment drop. Took 24 months, 18 months of them pre-Obama, to hit bottom. Different kind of recession by orders of magnitude.
    As per Red's warning in post #613 I won't respond, although I'd like to.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

Page 69 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •