Page 65 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast
Results 641 to 650 of 1120

Thread: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat [W:613/629]

  1. #641
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    Yet you failed to construct a case. You have merely asserted again.



    Perry was not charged with violating the TX constitution.
    He was charged with violating Texas law.
    So even though he may not have violated the TX constitution, it's very much beside the point that Perry was charged with violating Texas law.
    Most criminal cases are like that--the defendant is charged with violating laws not the constitution.

    There's a link to what it is that Perry is actually charged with.

    Whenever you get ready, you can read it and respond to what is actually going on.

    Or are trying to imply that the Texas laws used to indict Perry are unconstitutional laws?
    If so, please feel free to make you case.

    Google can prob'ly find you a copy of the TX constitution and TX legal code.

    You could take the indictment, TX code, and TX constitution and make you case.

    Or you can just make a bunch more assertions.
    But please don't take offense if folks treat your assertions like other anonymous assertions on the internet.
    As has been stated over and over again, you can indict a ham sandwich. Want to place a wager on how the courts rule?

  2. #642
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,351

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    So, you're saying that if Perry snuck into a person's home late at night, shot them in the back, then snuck out and kept quiet about it, he would be guilty of murder.

    Conversely, if he had explained why he was going to do it to the public, then shot that person on a public street in the middle of the day, in an open and upfront way while looking them in the eye, then he might be adjudged by public acclaim as not guilty and instead simply executing his lawful, official duties (so to speak).

    In both cases we'll assume that, in Perry's view, the person had it coming and, also in Perry's view, that the person had no right to a trail before sentence is imposed (by him).

    I must say that your argument has an interesting take on jurisprudence
    I believe that murder is not the topic here, but to answer your question, it's wrong however and whenever it's done. In this case, however, even David Axelrod agrees that this case against Perry is "sketchy." The people of Texas, as well as the rest of the U.S., will be watching to see what happens when a Governor, openly and above-board, does what he feels is correct, and explains his reasons to the public, but is indicted by the same people that report to the woman who was sentenced for driving while extremely drunk, and spent time in jail as a result. Could it be that perhaps she is abusing her authority over her employees? I don't know - maybe they agree with her, but none of them are above the law!

  3. #643
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    I believe that murder is not the topic here, but to answer your question, it's wrong however and whenever it's done. In this case, however, even David Axelrod agrees that this case against Perry is "sketchy." [...]
    If one wants to let others do their thinking for them, then your point is valid.

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    The people of Texas, as well as the rest of the U.S., will be watching to see what happens when a Governor, openly and above-board, does what he feels is correct, and explains his reasons to the public, [...]
    Again your claim is that feelings and/or public opinion supercede the law. I thought we'd already been down that road.

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    but is indicted by the same people
    Ad hominem.

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    that report to the woman who was sentenced for driving while extremely drunk,
    Ad hominem.

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    and spent time in jail as a result.
    Ad hominem.

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Could it be that perhaps she is abusing her authority over her employees?
    Red herring, ad hominem.

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    I don't know - maybe they agree with her, but none of them are above the law!
    Strawman, ad hominem.

    All that effort, and your post said absolutely nothing.

  4. #644
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Perry simply isn't likable. The man can't carry moderates nationally and isn't half as connected as Bush was.


    I think the time of the "Raging yet obviously fake Southern Conservative" has passed nationally speaking.

  5. #645
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,048

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    What exactly is illegal about the Governor of a state vetoing any bill for any reason?
    The part that is important is that they can't veto for any reason and Perry himself should know that. His mistake was speaking about the reasons for the veto. He can use the veto power to influence the bill being passed itself. He can't use it to threaten people to step down. It'd be like Obama vetoing any bill until the Republicans in the house resign.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #646
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,893
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Texmex View Post
    As usual with you it's BS! The only funding Perry shut off was money used to investigate corruption. It looks like Perry was attempting to cover his own ass, something Nixon taught you republicans well.
    I'm not 100% sure, but which corruption is it that Perry's associated with? Implicated in? I've not heard anything, what have you on this?

    Otherwise, it's an empty and baseless claim.
    the Fix-is-in Bureau of Investigation

  7. #647
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,351

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    If one wants to let others do their thinking for them, then your point is valid.


    Again your claim is that feelings and/or public opinion supercede the law. I thought we'd already been down that road.


    Ad hominem.


    Ad hominem.


    Ad hominem.


    Red herring, ad hominem.


    Strawman, ad hominem.

    All that effort, and your post said absolutely nothing.
    Some days are like that! To summarize, I'm on Perry's side in this, and I don't think that comes as a surprise to you, but since I don't live in Texas, what I think probably doesn't matter to anyone but me anyway.

  8. #648
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,893
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    If one wants to let others do their thinking for them, then your point is valid.


    Again your claim is that feelings and/or public opinion supercede the law. I thought we'd already been down that road.


    Ad hominem.


    Ad hominem.


    Ad hominem.


    Red herring, ad hominem.


    Strawman, ad hominem.

    All that effort, and your post said absolutely nothing.
    I think you are misusing ad hominem, or you don't really know what it means.
    An ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"[1]), short for argumentum ad hominem, is a general category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person presenting the claim or argument.[2] Fallacious Ad hominem reasoning is normally categorized as an informal fallacy,[3][4][5] more precisely as a genetic fallacy,[6] a subcategory of fallacies of irrelevance.[7] Ad hominem reasoning is not always fallacious, for example, when it relates to the credibility of statements of fact.
    Ad hominem arguments are the converse of appeals to authority, and may be used in response to such appeals.

    Abusive

    Abusive ad hominem usually involves attacking the traits of an opponent as a means to invalidate their arguments. Equating someone's character with the soundness of their argument is a logical fallacy. Mere verbal abuse in the absence of an argument, however, is not ad hominem nor any kind of logical fallacy.[8]

    Ad hominem abuse is not to be confused with slander or libel, which employ falsehoods and are not necessarily leveled to undermine otherwise sound stands with character attacks.
    Ad hominem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    I don't see how you come to the conslusion that many of the legitimate points that Polgara raises qualify as ad hominem. Her factual points are just that, and not ad hominem attacks.

    Comes across as being dismissive of her points and counter without subtance.
    the Fix-is-in Bureau of Investigation

  9. #649
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,945
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    As has been stated over and over again, you can indict a ham sandwich. Want to place a wager on how the courts rule?
    You're giving up just like that?
    You're not even going to try to debate, construct an argument which explains and supports your position?
    Just some assertions and gainsaying, huh?
    I may be wrong.

  10. #650
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,797

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    The chart you presented seems to prove that the two Presidents Bush - Sr. in 1990 and Jr. in 2001 - put forward the best policies to counter a recession in the shortest period of time. I believed as much, but thanks for the verification.
    They were different types of recessions, with different causes. If you don't understand the extent of the debt bubble that was the cause of the GLOBAL recession that began in 2007, you really shouldn't be talking about appropriate responses. Besides, the "response" to the 2001 recession was to cut taxes, blow up the deficit, start a war, greatly expand government spending, and then start blowing up the debt bubble that collapsed in 2007. You think that was a sustainable economic plan?

    Besides, note the employment drop. Took 24 months, 18 months of them pre-Obama, to hit bottom. Different kind of recession by orders of magnitude.

Page 65 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •