Page 64 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast
Results 631 to 640 of 1120

Thread: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat [W:613/629]

  1. #631
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    It's not a matter of like or dislike, but deemed fitness to hold the office - however, on that basis, in some cases yes - that's why impeachment procedures exist.
    NO, it's not a matter of fitness because it's not the Governor's job to determine the fitness of the DA. That's a job for the voters or for others who have the legal authority to impeach.

    But let's re-word my question: "Is it beneficial to the govt for an officeholder to use governmental powers to undo the results of an election when those powers are not meant to be used for that purpose?"

    Be careful. If you think it's beneficial, you weaken the argument against the DA using his powers to prosecute Perry. After all, in approving Perry's actions solely on the basis of her lack of fitness, then how can you object to the DA taking action against Perry based on Perry's lack of fitness?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #632
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    The chart you presented seems to prove that the two Presidents Bush - Sr. in 1990 and Jr. in 2001 - put forward the best policies to counter a recession in the shortest period of time. I believed as much, but thanks for the verification.
    I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. The chart shows GHWB and bush* with the 2nd and 3rd longest recoveries. The two shortest recoveries were under Nixon and Reagan.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #633
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,945
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Very simple, my statement was factually correct.
    Well, you say that it is factuallt correct.
    But David Icke says that what he says is factually correct as well.

    Is there some reason why you cannot make your case using Texas law and the information in the indictment?

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Like Judge Jeanine states, "Grand juries will indict a ham sandwich". And evidently in Austin Texas, they like ham.
    Well said Judge! Next!
    A grand jury failed to indict Lehmberg over her fiasco.


    Maybe Texans tolerate drunks better than they do politicians.
    I may be wrong.

  4. #634
    Sage
    Crovax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,559

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    Gov. Perry stating his reason is why this falls into a grey enough area that a Grand Jury indicted him.
    Not according to your boy captain comb over

    Unless he was demonstrably trying to scrap the ethics unit for other than his stated reason, Perry indictment seems pretty sketchy.

    David Axelrod (@davidaxelrod)*August 16, 2014

  5. #635
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,352

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Like Judge Jeanine states, "Grand juries will indict a ham sandwich". And evidently in Austin Texas, they like ham.



    Well said Judge! Next!
    Totally and emphatically AGREE!

    Greetings, Vesper.

  6. #636
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    Well, you say that it is factuallt correct.
    But David Icke says that what he says is factually correct as well.

    Is there some reason why you cannot make your case using Texas law and the information in the indictment?

    A grand jury failed to indict Lehmberg over her fiasco.


    Maybe Texans tolerate drunks better than they do politicians.
    The Constitution of the State of TX says I am factually correct. Your problem seems to be with the Constitution of the State. Please point to the articles in that Constitution which Perry violated with the veto?

  7. #637
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    Not according to your boy captain comb over
    I already stated in my first post in this thread that I doubt this will go far. The post you just quoted is just talking about the grey area.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  8. #638
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Greetings, Karl.

    If it had been done covertly, or secretly, rather than out in the open as he handled it, I might agree with you. He chose not to act in an under-handed or backstabbing way. Instead, he explained to the people of Texas why he felt that the position that she held required maintaining the public trust in receiving fair treatment for all, and he was open and upfront about it. Public perception is important, and time will tell us if he was correct.
    So, you're saying that if Perry snuck into a person's home late at night, shot them in the back, then snuck out and kept quiet about it, he would be guilty of murder.

    Conversely, if he had explained why he was going to do it to the public, then shot that person on a public street in the middle of the day, in an open and upfront way while looking them in the eye, then he might be adjudged by public acclaim as not guilty and instead simply executing his lawful, official duties (so to speak).

    In both cases we'll assume that, in Perry's view, the person had it coming and, also in Perry's view, that the person had no right to a trail before sentence is imposed (by him).

    I must say that your argument has an interesting take on jurisprudence

  9. #639
    Sage
    Crovax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,559

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    I already stated in my first post in this thread that I doubt this will go far. The post you just quoted is just talking about the grey area.
    And my post was pointing out that even some democrats don't think it's even a grey area as his stated reason is an acceptable reason to veto the bill

  10. #640
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,945
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    The Constitution of the State of TX says I am factually correct.
    Yet you failed to construct a case. You have merely asserted again.


    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Please point to the articles in that Constitution which Perry violated with the veto?
    Perry was not charged with violating the TX constitution.
    He was charged with violating Texas law.
    So even though he may not have violated the TX constitution, it's very much beside the point that Perry was charged with violating Texas law.
    Most criminal cases are like that--the defendant is charged with violating laws not the constitution.

    There's a link to what it is that Perry is actually charged with.

    Whenever you get ready, you can read it and respond to what is actually going on.

    Or are trying to imply that the Texas laws used to indict Perry are unconstitutional laws?
    If so, please feel free to make you case.

    Google can prob'ly find you a copy of the TX constitution and TX legal code.

    You could take the indictment, TX code, and TX constitution and make you case.

    Or you can just make a bunch more assertions.
    But please don't take offense if folks treat your assertions like other anonymous assertions on the internet.
    I may be wrong.

Page 64 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •