Page 27 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 1120

Thread: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat [W:613/629]

  1. #261
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,258

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    My point is that one must incredible ignorant to think that a governor can accept a bribe.
    A bribe? what bribe would that be? You speculate and buy leftwing rhetoric. What personal gain would Perry get out of vetoing this bill? How about answering the question, what did any Republican do to hurt you or your family to create this kind of hatred and partisan bs?

  2. #262
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    A bribe? what bribe would that be? You speculate and buy leftwing rhetoric. What personal gain would Perry get out of vetoing this bill? How about answering the question, what did any Republican do to hurt you or your family to create this kind of hatred and partisan bs?
    Can a Governor veto a bill because he was bribed to do so?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #263
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,359

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Can a Governor veto a bill because he was bribed to do so?
    'Can' and 'will', yes. 'May', no.

  4. #264
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    If he's an " idiot. " what's that make a guy like Jerry Brown ?

    At least Rick Perry knows how to run a State, how to build a Strong economy and how to keep his tax base from leaving his State.

    Its typical of the left to characterize politicians from the State of Texas as morons.

    But it might help your credibility a bit If you people didn't elect ACTUAL morons.

    Oh puh-lease. Perry has been giving Texas away to anyone who will come there. There is a reason why corporations would want to accept all of that free corporate welfare. Meanwhile....Texas is tied with Mississippi for having the highest percentage of minimum wage jobs in the entire US. You might want to get your facts straight next time before commenting.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  5. #265
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Does the Texas legislature lean Republican? Is so, you know very well why your state representatives will never overturn Perry's veto. But of course, yourself and other Republicans would fall back on "following the rules" knowing full well the rules don't apply when your party is the majority power.

    Of course, you expect folks to believe that all the Texas State Legislature has to do if go by the book and everything will be okay. But that can be a problem if the Republican majority has decided to stand by their man and throw the book out the window.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Yes, but what does that matter? You continue to ignore the point, Governors have the right to veto legislation for political reasons, that isn't a violation of the law and the fact remains it doesn't matter if you believe it is an ethical violation, the law gives them that right.

    You seem to have so little faith in people. why is that? They elected Obama, didn't they and isn't that what you wanted? A threat of a veto for political reasons doesn't constitute a violation of the law.
    Of course, it matters. It matters for the exact same reason House Republicans won't pursue impeachment of the President. They know that they'd never get the Senate with a Democratic majority to entertain doing so. Same goes for the Texas Republican majority legislature. They'll never overturn Republican Gov. Rick Perry's veto on this matter.

    Now, you claim that Governors have the right to veto legislation for political reasons. I question not only the legality of doing such a thing but also the ethics of it. I would agree that as part of the political process, Chief Executives can threaten the use of their veto power to "persuade" the legislative body to bring forward a bill with or without provisions more or less to his/her liking for the good of the state (or nation) for which he/she represents. However, I wholeheartedly disagree with the notion that said Chief Executive can exercise his/her veto power to forcefully remove or forcefully "persuade" someone to vacate their position from elected office.

    So, again I say if Gov. Perry really disagreed with the job Mrs. Lehmberg was doing or firmly believed that she had misplaced the public trust with her DUI charge, why didn't he just fire her and be done with it? Clearly, he chose to pursue the path of a resignation because it wasn't her job performance that was the issue; it was her character (i.e., DUI). So, to me that begs "Why did he want her out of her job so badly that he'd go to such lengths to see her gone?" Now, let's think about that for a minute...

    She's the highest ranking person in a department tasked with investigating ethics violations. As sangha has eluded to, Gov. Perry apparently has accepted money of some sort to get her out. Why? Is there something more going on here the people of Texas know nothing about? Why would Gov. Perry risk political scandal on someone from a low-level office position? Conservative and other wish for folks to believe it's just politics as usual. After all, Mrs. Lehmberg does hold a position in a heavily Democratic area. So, is this a Governor standing up for the highest in moral character OR is this a Governor attempting to cover his tracks by hiding being an exception clause in a coercion state code that provides him cover for exercising his veto power?

    Things that make you go, "Hmmmmmm......"???
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  6. #266
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    2,800

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Hold up, Perry's a complete ass, but i'm not understanding what he did wrong.
    Men do what they have to when they want to, Great men do what they have to, even when they don't want to.

  7. #267
    Sage
    Crovax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,554

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    Haven't we heard from Obama in speeches that if the house passes something or other he will veto it?

    Is that illegal for him to say that, or just do it afterwards?
    Apparently keeping your promises is so abhorrent to the liberal value system that it is worthy of 99 years in jail.

    I guess that speaks to why Obama is still so popular with liberals

  8. #268
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Can a Governor veto a bill because he was bribed to do so?
    Expand on this if you please...
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  9. #269
    Student Jaaaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Texas, the coastal bend
    Last Seen
    12-13-14 @ 03:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    279

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    This wouldn't even be news if Texas had shown initiative and elected Kinky Friedman.
    Kinky Friedman?

  10. #270
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    " Slimey " ??

    What leads you to believe that he's slimey ?

    The way he looks ? The way he dresses ? The way he talks ?

    Technically he's been under investigation since he became Governor by Democrats who're waiting for any reason what so ever to malign him.

    This indictment is proof of that.

    Because there are Politicians that fit the definition of slimey to a T but since they're Democrats their actions are ignored.

    Rick Perry has done positive things for Texans and the State of Texas.

    Millions of plague Blue State refugees are proof of his qualifications as a leader as they pick up everything they own and chose Texas as a place to raise their families.

    Personally I think you simply dislike his because he's a Republican
    and his success is embarrassing Democrats all iver the Country.

    Thats petty.



    That's your opinion, which you are entitled to and I will ignore.




    "The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen." ~ Tommy Smothers

Page 27 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •