Page 101 of 112 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1120

Thread: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat [W:613/629]

  1. #1001
    Sage


    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,311

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Where is the personal harm done to the DA? Does she still have her job? Was Perry under any kind of investigation by the ethics department?
    Harm: She was unlawfully threatened.
    Does she still have her job? Yes, only because she refused to resign. Yet, the Gov. vetoed in accordance with his threat.
    Was Perry under any kind of investigation by the ethics department? We don't know, maybe so.

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    This is typical of you. You want it to be so therefore it is so.
    The grand jury was convinced. Remember, the judge who handled the complaint is a Republican. The special prosecutor appointed was a former federal prosecutor under H.W. Bush.



    (TEXAS) PENAL CODE

    TITLE 8. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION

    CHAPTER 36. BRIBERY AND CORRUPT INFLUENCE

    Sec. 36.03. COERCION OF PUBLIC SERVANT OR VOTER. (a) A person commits an offense if by means of coercion he:

    (1) influences or attempts to influence a public servant in a specific exercise of his official power or a specific performance of his official duty or influences or attempts to influence a public servant to violate the public servant's known legal duty; or

    (2) influences or attempts to influence a voter not to vote or to vote in a particular manner.

    (b) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor unless the coercion is a threat to commit a felony, in which event it is a felony of the third degree.

    (c) It is an exception to the application of Subsection (a)(1) of this section that the person who influences or attempts to influence the public servant is a member of the governing body of a governmental entity, and that the action that influences or attempts to influence the public servant is an official action taken by the member of the governing body. For the purposes of this subsection, the term "official action" includes deliberations by the governing body of a governmental entity.
    Trying to get the DA to resign via threat is not an an official action taken by the member of the governing body getting a DA to resign is certainly an attempt to influence a public servant.
    "I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it." --J.S. Mill

  2. #1002
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,258

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
    Harm: She was unlawfully threatened.
    Does she still have her job? Yes, only because she refused to resign. Yet, the Gov. vetoed in accordance with his threat.
    Was Perry under any kind of investigation by the ethics department? We don't know, maybe so.

    The grand jury was convinced. Remember, the judge who handled the complaint is a Republican. The special prosecutor appointed was a former federal prosecutor under H.W. Bush.



    Trying to get the DA to resign via threat is not an an official action taken by the member of the governing body getting a DA to resign is certainly an attempt to influence a public servant.
    Threatened with what? Was her salary going to be cut? How does cutting a department budget constitute personal harm to her? You are stretching because you want to believe the indictment but you don't understand the Constitution of TX. The individual that brought the charges is also under investigation for withholding a witness. None of course which has any bearing on this case.

    What influence was Perry trying to create? Again was he under any kind of investigation? Interesting that many of your so called expert liberals don't buy your argument

  3. #1003
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,914
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Where is the personal harm done to the DA?
    The statute in question does not use the descriptor "personal."
    Nor does the statute in question require that harm actually occur.
    (I can provide links to the relevant TX code again if you would like to read what it is we're talking about.)


    So, why do you think that "personal harm" must have occurred for the charges to be valid?

    Is it that, "You want it to be so therefore it is so?"
    I may be wrong.

  4. #1004
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,258

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    The statute in question does not use the descriptor "personal."
    Nor does the statute in question require that harm actually occur.
    (I can provide links to the relevant TX code again if you would like to read what it is we're talking about.)


    So, why do you think that "personal harm" must have occurred for the charges to be valid?

    Is it that, "You want it to be so therefore it is so?"
    Why? because that is what defines an ethics problem and there is no such thing here. She wasn't hurt at all, she didn't have her pay cut, the department she oversaw wasn't investigating Perry, and she didn't lose her job. You people just don't get it and the fact that you want the charges to be true don't make them true.

  5. #1005
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,914
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
    It is said that things are difficult to understand when one is invested in not understanding.
    Well, we're all humans ( I am pretty sure ) and we all have to face the limitations of human mind. It ain't perfect.
    We all have a tendency to skip thought in certain circumstances especially when it comes to things which seem to confirm what we already believe to be true.
    It's just a by-product of being human.
    We all do it.

    Quote Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
    Perry didn't demand a resignation from former Cameron County DA Armando Villalobos, who was taking payola.
    Villalobos has been sentenced to thirteen years in prison. Resignation is kind of moot.
    I may be wrong.

  6. #1006
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,914
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Why? because that is what defines an ethics problem and there is no such thing here.
    Even if I were to concede your point above and we were to take it as granted, it still doesn't address the fact that the criminal charges against Perry are based on a particular Texas law which does not require that harm actually occur--personal harm or any other sort of harm.
    I would be happy to provide another link to the Texas laws in question if you would like to read the laws.

    Perry is not charged with causing personal harm to Lehmberg.
    Pointing out that Lehmberg was not personally harmed offers no rebuttal to the charges against Perry.

    The indictment contains the charges against Perry.
    I can link to the indictment if you would like to read it so that you will know what it is that we are talking about.
    up to you.
    Last edited by Simon W. Moon; 08-22-14 at 11:47 AM.
    I may be wrong.

  7. #1007
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,258

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    Even if I were to concede your point above and we were to take it as granted, it still doesn't address the fact that the criminal charges against Perry are based on a particular Texas law which does not require that harm actually occur, personal harm or any other sort of harm.

    Perry is not charged with causing personal harm to Lehmberg.
    Pointing out that Lehmberg was not personally harmed offers no rebuttal to the charges against Perry.

    The indictment contains the charges against Perry.
    I can link to the indictment if you would like to read it so that you will know what it is that we are talking about.
    up to you.
    You can indict a ham sandwich and you can find people to hand down that indictment. Getting the courts however to overlook the rule of law is another story. I have seen the charges but remember charges don't constitute fact, the evidence does and until you can show harm to the DA in the form of cut pay or loss of job, the investigation by her department of ethics violations by Perry, this indictment is a political witch hunt against a Governor whose economic results are making liberals look foolish and very incompetent.

  8. #1008
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,914
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    ...until you can show harm to the DA in the form of cut pay or loss of job, the investigation by her department of ethics violations by Perry, this indictment is a political witch hunt against a Governor...
    Can you provide any citation for this assertion?

    Generally, the rule of law means that what is in the law is what is used to conduct trials, etc.
    But you're saying that what's in the law is not enough?

    It's not enough for the prosecution to prove that Perry's actions comported to the charges against him?

    The prosecution must also show that there was harm to the DA because...? [this is where you insert the relevant Texas law or whatever you have got which supports you novel assertion.]
    I may be wrong.

  9. #1009
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,258

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    Can you provide any citation for this assertion?

    Generally, the rule of law means that what is in the law is what is used to conduct trials, etc.
    But you're saying that what's in the law is not enough?

    It's not enough for the prosecution to prove that Perry's actions comported to the charges against him?

    The prosecution must also show that there was harm to the DA because...? [this is where you insert the relevant Texas law or whatever you have got which supports you novel assertion.]
    No, what I am saying is that the Governor of TX has the authority to veto any law for whatever reason. He would violate ethic laws if he acted in an unethical manner. Asking for a resignation isn't unethical and happens all the time. Now if Governor Perry threatened to fire her which he didn't have the authority to do, if Governor Perry cut her pay which didn't happen, and if Governor Perry was under investigation by the department she lead then there would be an ethics problem. none of that happened but the true ethics violation was done by the Asst. DA

    Keep reaching and hoping, maybe we can get liberal misery spread into TX afterall

  10. #1010
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,194

    Re: Gov. Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power for carrying out threat to veto prose

    "Asking for her resignation"...
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •