Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 273

Thread: Navy reverses Bible ban

  1. #221
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 11:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,977

    Re: Navy reverses Bible ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosscheck View Post
    Then at sometime in the future when you open that drawer and alongside the Gideons Bible, is the Torah, Koran, Apocrypha, Tripitakas, Bhagavad Gita, Avesta, Book of Mormon, and the Wiccan Bible you will not be upset.

    Because the government couldn't accept one and not all the rest as long as someone provided them free of cost.
    Such a silly strawman argument. The hotels wisely choose to accept the Gideons bible based on the fact that the majority of Americans are Christians. No offense intended to all other religions.

  2. #222
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 11:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,977

    Re: Navy reverses Bible ban

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    A bible should not be provided to you period if you are working for the United States Federal Government.
    Perhaps someday you will understand the 1st amendment to the US constitution.

  3. #223
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:25 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,476

    Re: Navy reverses Bible ban

    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    Such a silly strawman argument. The hotels wisely choose to accept the Gideons bible based on the fact that the majority of Americans are Christians. No offense intended to all other religions.
    Is it really that silly. You deny my gift of the Wiccan bible to your rooms and I bet you I will have a line of lawyers waiting in line to sue them. Especially a government facility.

    Am just sayn.

  4. #224
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Navy reverses Bible ban

    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    Perhaps someday you will understand the 1st amendment to the US constitution.
    So the state should give you every religious book?


  5. #225
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,868

    Re: Navy reverses Bible ban

    In any hotel room where I've ever seen a Gideon Bible, it was tucked away out of sight in a drawer. Assuming that's also where they were in this case, this doesn't even begin to be an unconstitutional endorsement of Christianity by the Navy. Hell, it wasn't unconstitutional for Ohio to let the Ku Klux Klan put up a large Christian cross, and nearby a Klan cross, on public land right across from the state capitol building. Don't try to tell me the Navy can't put a damn Gideon bible in each room of a lodge.

    Having seen hundreds of soi-disant liberals show their abysmal ignorance of constitutional law, I'm never surprised to see the most trivial thing start them shrieking about someone's supposed constitutional rights. But their concern about those rights is curiously selective. Their outrage over this Bible issue, just like their outrage over the Hobby Lobby decision, shows what disdain they have for the free exercise of religion.

  6. #226
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,890

    Re: Navy reverses Bible ban

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    In any hotel room where I've ever seen a Gideon Bible, it was tucked away out of sight in a drawer. Assuming that's also where they were in this case, this doesn't even begin to be an unconstitutional endorsement of Christianity by the Navy. Hell, it wasn't unconstitutional for Ohio to let the Ku Klux Klan put up a large Christian cross, and nearby a Klan cross, on public land right across from the state capitol building. Don't try to tell me the Navy can't put a damn Gideon bible in each room of a lodge.

    Having seen hundreds of soi-disant liberals show their abysmal ignorance of constitutional law, I'm never surprised to see the most trivial thing start them shrieking about someone's supposed constitutional rights. But their concern about those rights is curiously selective. Their outrage over this Bible issue, just like their outrage over the Hobby Lobby decision, shows what disdain they have for the free exercise of religion.
    What "outrage" over the "Bible issue"?
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  7. #227
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,008

    Re: Navy reverses Bible ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosscheck View Post
    Then at sometime in the future when you open that drawer and alongside the Gideons Bible, is the Torah, Koran, Apocrypha, Tripitakas, Bhagavad Gita, Avesta, Book of Mormon, and the Wiccan Bible you will not be upset.

    Because the government couldn't accept one and not all the rest as long as someone provided them free of cost.
    If you can find a Wiccan Bible, I'll be highly impressed since such a creature doesn't exist, anymore than an Islamic Bible exists. For that matter I'd be impressed if you could find a mass produced Book of Shadows. A real one, not a notebook dressed up for making your own or the "how to" book that uses the name as a title.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    A bible should not be provided to you period if you are working for the United States Federal Government.
    Maybe you ought to rethink that statement. Either it is too all inclusive or you are making an assumption that you are not putting out. Are you saying that a person who is working for the government, military or otherwise, should not even be provided a bible from the church that they attend? Are you insinuating that a government working shouldn't even be associated with a religion maybe?

    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    Such a silly strawman argument. The hotels wisely choose to accept the Gideons bible based on the fact that the majority of Americans are Christians. No offense intended to all other religions.
    That is an assumption that cannot be currently proven as no other organization provides a holy texts book to hotels.
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  8. #228
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Navy reverses Bible ban

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    Are you insinuating that a government working shouldn't even be associated with a religion maybe?
    I think I made it pretty clear. A government shouldn't be involved in no way with a certain religion, period.


  9. #229
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,008

    Re: Navy reverses Bible ban

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    I think I made it pretty clear. A government shouldn't be involved in no way with a certain religion, period.
    So while I was in the Navy I should never have been allowed to step into a church and worship? Nor should a pagan ever be allowed to attend a Circle?

    Edit: I just noticed the quote of mine in your post and "working" should be "worker". Apologies for the typo in the original post.
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  10. #230
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,206

    Re: Navy reverses Bible ban

    The government shouldn't be facilitating proselytising by any religion. You want to read a bible, bring one with you, or go to the Library's religion section.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •