Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 273

Thread: Navy reverses Bible ban

  1. #201
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Navy reverses Bible ban

    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    If any hotel chain had a practice of banning the Gideon bibles in their rooms, such as Travelodge in the UK currently does, I would personally boycott that chain.
    Then do that. You don't have to stay at the Navy Lodge, even if you are in the military, in most cases (sometimes you are just out of luck). But that is your choice. Personally I think it is stupid to boycott or call for a boycott of a place just for refusing to provide you with a Bible in your room.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #202
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Navy reverses Bible ban

    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    Who cares about appearance? The reality is that the bibles are donated. You cannot discriminate merely based on perception.
    The government, the SCOTUS, the military (appearance is big in the military), and other people who are not Christian, for a start. There is no discrimination involved in refusing to provide a Bible or any other book to a person so long as they aren't doing it for anyone.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #203
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Navy reverses Bible ban

    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    That's because you do not understand the first amendment to the US constitution. Banning the bible even in government rooms is a violation of that amendment.
    No. You misunderstand what this is about. No one is banning Bibles from hotel rooms, even Navy hotel rooms. What was going on was Bibles were not being provided in the rooms of the Navy Lodge. People were completely free to bring their own Bibles to read for themselves. Not providing Bibles in Navy run hotel rooms in no way violates any part of the US Constitution.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #204
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,158

    Re: Navy reverses Bible ban

    Quote Originally Posted by voyager1 View Post
    No it doesn't make a difference. When you wear the uniform you are defending the rights of all
    Americans. If you can't do that the you have no business wearing a uniform. However the armed forced does have religious services for the people serving, but the military welcomes all who is willing to take the oath to defend the Constitution. When religion becomes a prerequisite then problems arise, just look at the issues the USAF has had.

    Strawman. There is no prerequisite.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  5. #205
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,977

    Re: Navy reverses Bible ban

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Then do that. You don't have to stay at the Navy Lodge, even if you are in the military, in most cases (sometimes you are just out of luck). But that is your choice. Personally I think it is stupid to boycott or call for a boycott of a place just for refusing to provide you with a Bible in your room.
    You are not getting it. The hotels are not providing the bibles. They are donated. I am not asking for the hotel to provide a bible and they have never done so. Gideons is providing them. What I am saying is, if a given hotel chain bans those donated bibles from the rooms, I would boycott that given chain. I also boycott Target department stores because they ban the Salvation Army bell ringers around Christmas time.

  6. #206
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Navy reverses Bible ban

    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    You are not getting it. The hotels are not providing the bibles. They are donated. I am not asking for the hotel to provide a bible and they have never done so. Gideons is providing them. What I am saying is, if a given hotel chain bans those donated bibles from the rooms, I would boycott that given chain. I also boycott Target department stores because they ban the Salvation Army bell ringers around Christmas time.
    It doesn't matter. You have no right to a Bible be provided for you, even by some other group besides the hotel you are staying at. It doesn't matter if they want to. Their religious beliefs are not being restricted and neither are yours by not putting that Bible in those hotel rooms.

    You are personally able to boycott whoever you want for whatever reason, but that does not mean that what they are doing is unconstitutional, violates the First Amendment, as you claimed.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #207
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,977

    Re: Navy reverses Bible ban

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    The government, the SCOTUS, the military (appearance is big in the military), and other people who are not Christian, for a start. There is no discrimination involved in refusing to provide a Bible or any other book to a person so long as they aren't doing it for anyone.
    The vast majority of Americans are Christians. I am betting that in the middle east....copies of the Koran are probably left in hotel rooms. If I were staying in a hotel in Kuwait, I would not be offended by that. And a muslim living in or visiting a hotel in this country should not be offended by a bible in the room. But that is a quirk with progressives......looking for a way to be offended.

  8. #208
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Navy reverses Bible ban

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    It doesn't matter. You have no right to a Bible be provided for you, even by some other group besides the hotel you are staying at. It doesn't matter if they want to. Their religious beliefs are not being restricted and neither are yours by not putting that Bible in those hotel rooms.

    You are personally able to boycott whoever you want for whatever reason, but that does not mean that what they are doing is unconstitutional, violates the First Amendment, as you claimed.
    It matters perfectly. If the government is not providing the bibles or called for the donation of the bibles then there is no issue in the books being provided. It is just individuals deciding to donate bibles on their own free will.

  9. #209
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,977

    Re: Navy reverses Bible ban

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    It doesn't matter. You have no right to a Bible be provided for you, even by some other group besides the hotel you are staying at. It doesn't matter if they want to. Their religious beliefs are not being restricted and neither are yours by not putting that Bible in those hotel rooms.

    You are personally able to boycott whoever you want for whatever reason, but that does not mean that what they are doing is unconstitutional, violates the First Amendment, as you claimed.
    Well, sport. I am sitting in a hotel room right now....and I certainly do appreciate that a Gideon bible was left in the room. And I don't care who is offended.

  10. #210
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Navy reverses Bible ban

    Btw, at what point did congress pass a law establishing a state religion? They didn't. Seriously, do people even read the first amendment before running their mouths about it?

Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •