Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 273

Thread: Navy reverses Bible ban

  1. #131
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,886

    Re: Navy reverses Bible ban

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    It's not always obvious! I've no visual cues, audio cues, not even a elbow poke to the ribs (nudge, nudge, wink wink).
    nudge.jpg
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  2. #132
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:15 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,629

    Re: Navy reverses Bible ban

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    So? It shouldn't matter if they are or are not there. As with any religion or really anything that you wish to read, you should bring your own. Just because people are used to something doesn't mean they have a right to it.
    just because you don't like the bible doesn't mean you get to deny other people from using it. the government didn't buy it. it was donated free of charge etc...
    it does no harm to you as you don't believe in God and no one is forcing you to read it.

    what is even more concerning is if you are not even allowed to stay there if you are not a military person then it has 0 effect on you.

  3. #133
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:15 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,629

    Re: Navy reverses Bible ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    The Gideons are permitted to leave their tree-murdering propaganda in an act of breathtaking patronising condescension. They presume that their message is needed if not wanted, where it is not. In this case, their activity is by default endorsed by the government.
    If people have need of such a pubilcation they can bring it with them.
    is someone forcing you to even open it? nope have a nice day.

  4. #134
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,962

    Re: Navy reverses Bible ban

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    just because you don't like the bible doesn't mean you get to deny other people from using it. the government didn't buy it. it was donated free of charge etc...
    it does no harm to you as you don't believe in God and no one is forcing you to read it.

    what is even more concerning is if you are not even allowed to stay there if you are not a military person then it has 0 effect on you.
    You have no idea what her beliefs are. Additionally she's USN
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  5. #135
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Navy reverses Bible ban

    God Bless the Giddeons for t heir kindness and generosity.
    Last edited by Navy Pride; 08-17-14 at 02:28 AM.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  6. #136
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,513
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Navy reverses Bible ban

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    All of that is well and good, and I'm always glad when a person picks up a bible and accepts Christ. But the argument that I responded to was talking about access. One has access to a bible whether or not there is one left in the room that they are staying at.
    This is true but that is immaterial to the argument. I have no idea how many people might have picked up a Gideon Bible and accepted Christ, but that was not made into any kind of issue by the Gideons or anybody else. For well over a hundred years now, the Gideons have been placing Bibles in hotel and motel rooms and similar locations--they are closing in on two billion of them in fact. They ask nothing and expect nothing of those who accept the Bibles and usually have no clue whether anybody ever even opens one much less reads it. They don't make a fuss if somebody rejects their offer of the Bibles.

    None of us know when somebody in despair in the middle of the night might turn to the scriptures for comfort or encouragement. There have been stories of people who have found just the right encouraging hand written note somebody placed in a Gideon Bible or somebody found a $20 bill or $100 bill somebody has placed there probably with a prayer that somebody who needed it would find it. It wouldn't be the same if folks had to go to the front desk--if it is even open in the middle of the night--and ask for a Bible. The Gideon Bibles are more than a century-old tradition and, in my opinion, one of the small but good things about America that blesses us. It would be wrong to ban the Bibles from being placed in the rooms. They harm nobody and likely help many.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  7. #137
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Navy reverses Bible ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I wonder how NP would react to the Navy placing a Koran in all of its quarters.
    If the room was inhabited by Islamists I would not have a problem with it my left wing friend.
    Last edited by Navy Pride; 08-17-14 at 02:28 AM.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  8. #138
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,962

    Re: Navy reverses Bible ban

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    This is true but that is immaterial to the argument. I have no idea how many people might have picked up a Gideon Bible and accepted Christ, but that was not made into any kind of issue by the Gideons or anybody else. For well over a hundred years now, the Gideons have been placing Bibles in hotel and motel rooms and similar locations--they are closing in on two billion of them in fact. They ask nothing and expect nothing of those who accept the Bibles and usually have no clue whether anybody ever even opens one much less reads it. They don't make a fuss if somebody rejects their offer of the Bibles.

    None of us know when somebody in despair in the middle of the night might turn to the scriptures for comfort or encouragement. There have been stories of people who have found just the right encouraging hand written note somebody placed in a Gideon Bible or somebody found a $20 bill or $100 bill somebody has placed there probably with a prayer that somebody who needed it would find it. It wouldn't be the same if folks had to go to the front desk--if it is even open in the middle of the night--and ask for a Bible. The Gideon Bibles are more than a century-old tradition and, in my opinion, one of the small but good things about America that blesses us. It would be wrong to ban the Bibles from being placed in the rooms. They harm nobody and likely help many.
    All of which doesn't further your argument of people having or not having access to a bible.
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  9. #139
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,513
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Navy reverses Bible ban

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    All of which doesn't further your argument of people having or not having access to a bible.
    Unless they bring a Bible with them, if the Gideon Bibles are banned from the rooms unless somebody goes to ask for one, then there is no access to a Bible in the room. The access to a Bible is in every room when the Gideons are allowed to put them there. Now you can nitpick and split hairs about that until the cows come home, but that's the fact Jack and this discussion is getting really silly.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  10. #140
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,018

    Re: Navy reverses Bible ban

    There should no problem for navy personnel to bring their own personal bibles on board of their ships or in their barracks. There should also be no problem with them asking for a bible if they want one from their priest (to borrow for example). The navy however should not pay for bibles or automatically provide them for everyone serving in the navy.

    The navy should be focused at doing their duty in accordance with the laws of the United States, not on the religious beliefs of their personnel, nor promoting one religion over another.

    I am an atheist but why should I care if I would have been in the navy and somebody else had a bible with him, as long as he didn't bother me with it I could care less, but that is just my opinion.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •