Page 15 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 427

Thread: Michael Brown was a robbery suspect before he was shot to death, police say

  1. #141
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,185

    Re: Michael Brown was a robbery suspect before he was shot to death, police say

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    You mean Brown's character of surrendering to authorities and putting his hands up in the air?

    Here's some completely irrelevant information that we can use to speculate on the police officer's state of mind...
    Police domestic violence nearly twice average rate
    Are you seriously trying to claim that this specific police officer was guilty of domestic violence?

    Perhaps we could post up some statistics about violent crime and black youth - would that taint Brown, under your logic?
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  2. #142
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Michael Brown was a robbery suspect before he was shot to death, police say

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    Ah, now it makes sense. I've been scratching my head as to why in the heck it took the police department this long to release that video and information on the robbery. Turns out the information is completely irrelevant. The cop didn't know he was shooting at a suspect. So we still don't know a damn thing for sure other than a big unarmed black guy was shot by a cop and died.
    As some one pointed out earlier, the Officer may have come to that knowledge during their interaction.


    A third person recounting of what they were told by the Officer, seems to confirm this.




    As in a thread started by Josie.
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...adio-show.html
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  3. #143
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:31 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,460

    Re: Michael Brown was a robbery suspect before he was shot to death, police say

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    I'd just like to clarify that in the two cases it wasn't tobacco that was the instigating factor but, rather, resisting a lawful investigation.

    In Garner's case he had a record of selling untaxed cigarettes. I know it's not a violent crime but it's still a crime and warrants investigation. Resistance to such an investigation may legitimately warrant the use of force in obtaining or preserving evidence.

    In Brown's case it appears that he too resisted a lawful investigation. The question at hand in both cases is whether or not the level of force used to preserve evidence was reasonable.
    Really and what was the "lawful investigation" about in the Brown case, Lutherf? Was it over a pack of cigarellos, perhaps?


    In Garners case he was stopped because why? Oh he had a record of selling untaxed cigarettes, you say?


    In both cases tobacco was indeed the instigating factor to stop and question Garner and Brown.

  4. #144
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Michael Brown was a robbery suspect before he was shot to death, police say

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I'll admit I've been reading your posts with interest, and thinking about them. I am a 52 year old woman and I have been in contact with cops and certainly around them, and I never once worried about being shot by any of them. When I get pulled over for speeding or whatever, I do what I have to do to get it over with and get out of there.

    I asked my husband if he feels there are possibilities of being shot by a cop when you interact with them, and he said "Not the same as the possibilities of me being shot the next time I drive to Boston".

    Do you think any cop is capable of shooting you for no reason?
    Interesting, but then I don't suppose either you or your husband are black teenagers.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  5. #145
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,165

    Re: Michael Brown was a robbery suspect before he was shot to death, police say

    It seems that if you are black and poor in Ferguson, then you are collateral in the eyes of the local police.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  6. #146
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Michael Brown was a robbery suspect before he was shot to death, police say

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    I'd just like to clarify that in the two cases it wasn't tobacco that was the instigating factor but, rather, resisting a lawful investigation.

    In Garner's case he had a record of selling untaxed cigarettes. I know it's not a violent crime but it's still a crime and warrants investigation. Resistance to such an investigation may legitimately warrant the use of force in obtaining or preserving evidence.

    In Brown's case it appears that he too resisted a lawful investigation. The question at hand in both cases is whether or not the level of force used to preserve evidence was reasonable.
    Great argument, except the cop didn't know anything about the robbery. There goes that justification for killing.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  7. #147
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,319

    Re: Michael Brown was a robbery suspect before he was shot to death, police say

    Looks like Brown wasn't the, 'good kid that never did anything wrong", afterall.

    Lawyer: Friend confirms that he and shooting victim had robbed convenience store - WDEF News 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #148
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,051
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Michael Brown was a robbery suspect before he was shot to death, police say

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    I guess my point flew over your head too.
    Wasn't your point that bringing up things that have nothing to do with the topic at hand could be used to justify tainting the character of someone?
    Trump Attacked A Syrian Airfield. Trump will be a one-term president.

  9. #149
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,046

    Re: Michael Brown was a robbery suspect before he was shot to death, police say

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Yes, intentionally or otherwise. Anyone is capable of shooting anyone else for no reason.
    Not anyone. I'm not capable of it.

  10. #150
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Michael Brown was a robbery suspect before he was shot to death, police say

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    Great argument, except the cop didn't know anything about the robbery. There goes that justification for killing.

    Not in the initial interaction of telling them to get out of the street.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

Page 15 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •