Page 62 of 63 FirstFirst ... 125260616263 LastLast
Results 611 to 620 of 623

Thread: Snowden embraces American flag in WIRED photo shoot[W:511]

  1. #611
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,571

    Re: Snowden embraces American flag in WIRED photo shoot[W:511]

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    The irony of that is...significant.
    That's not irony, bro.

    You seem to have an idea of freedom vs safety wherein absolute freedom is the goal. it's not. It never was and never should be. It's a balance between the two. Asking yourself if something is a "freedom stance" is no more useful than asking yourself if it's a "safety stance". Neither absolutes are optimal.

    You keep beating that strawman...


    How strangely will the Tools of a Tyrant pervert the plain Meaning of Words!


    A general Dissolution of Principles & Manners will more surely overthrow the Liberties of America than the whole Force of the Common Enemy. While the People are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their Virtue they will be ready to surrender their Liberties to the first external or internal Invader. How necessary then is it for those who are determin'd to transmit the Blessings of Liberty as a fair Inheritance to Posterity, to associate on publick Principles in Support of publick Virtue.
    -Samuel Adams (not the beer)
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  2. #612
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Snowden embraces American flag in WIRED photo shoot[W:511]

    It is ironic: You have decided that it's "bad" and will now go to any extent to rationalize it.

    And you continue to both use strawman incorrectly and presume that any paucity of freedom is a bad thing. That's childish: you're not free to kill people on a whim, is that bad because your liberty to do whatever you want is infringed?

    I would think somewhere around high school we would've learned that absolutes either way are unattractive.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  3. #613
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,571

    Re: Snowden embraces American flag in WIRED photo shoot[W:511]

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    It is ironic: You have decided that it's "bad" and will now go to any extent to rationalize it.



    And you continue to both use strawman incorrectly and presume that any paucity of freedom is a bad thing. That's childish: you're not free to kill people on a whim, is that bad because your liberty to do whatever you want is infringed?

    I would think somewhere around high school we would've learned that absolutes either way are unattractive.

    Again, not Irony, bro.

    Strawman, giving me a position, then arguing against it.


    I've never argued for absolutes, Nore that any "paucity of freedom is a bad thing" nor have I argued that dumb knowledge/safety garbage your falsely attributed to me.

    not once did I suggest that people should be allowed to kill people because of "freedom", I've never argued such absolutes, and that wouldn't be "Freedom" anyway. the fact that you say this demonstrates either you are being dishonest in our discussion, or I overestimated your intelligence.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  4. #614
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Snowden embraces American flag in WIRED photo shoot[W:511]

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    Strawman, giving me a position, then arguing against it.


    I've never argued for absolutes, Nore that any "paucity of freedom is a bad thing" nor have I argued that dumb knowledge/safety garbage your falsely attributed to me.

    not once did I suggest that people should be allowed to kill people because of "freedom", I've never argued such absolutes, and that wouldn't be "Freedom" anyway. the fact that you say this demonstrates either you are being dishonest in our discussion, or I overestimated your intelligence.
    You've strongly implied it. "Stance of freedom"? What does that even mean? Are "stances of freedom" supposed to be good and those that aren't supposed to be bad?

    If you're not arguing for absolutes then refrain from saying something is anti-liberty or anti-freedom, because we both know that just because something is anti-freedom or anti-liberty doesn't mean it's bad. You seem to be very strongly implying that that's the case.

    Do you understand now? You saying "This is against freedom" is absolutely meaningless unless you think that's BAD. I'm telling you why it's not necessarily bad. If it's bad, exhibit how it is.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  5. #615
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,571

    Re: Snowden embraces American flag in WIRED photo shoot[W:511]

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    You've strongly implied it. "Stance of freedom"? What does that even mean? Are "stances of freedom" supposed to be good and those that aren't supposed to be bad?

    incorrect, you inferred in order to build your vapid strawman.

    If you're not arguing for absolutes then refrain from saying something is anti-liberty or anti-freedom, because we both know that just because something is anti-freedom or anti-liberty doesn't mean it's bad. You seem to be very strongly implying that that's the case.
    Wait, so you demand absolute in order for me to not SEEM absolute to you?



    Some things are "anti-freedom", "anti-liberty", many of the things you make excuses for.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  6. #616
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Snowden embraces American flag in WIRED photo shoot[W:511]

    And we've already agreed that anti-liberty and anti-freedom aren't necessarily bad- something I needed to make examples of in order to get you to admit, mind you. So you need to do a better job of arguing your point.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  7. #617
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,571

    Re: Snowden embraces American flag in WIRED photo shoot[W:511]

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    And we've already agreed that anti-liberty and anti-freedom aren't necessarily bad- something I needed to make examples of in order to get you to admit, mind you. So you need to do a better job of arguing your point.

    dude you're touched. At this point I must assume you have been drinking. WTF are you talking about. lol
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  8. #618
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Snowden embraces American flag in WIRED photo shoot[W:511]

    Sigh. You can lead a horse to water...
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  9. #619
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,571

    Re: Snowden embraces American flag in WIRED photo shoot[W:511]

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    Sigh. You can lead a horse to water...

    *shrug*
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  10. #620
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Snowden embraces American flag in WIRED photo shoot[W:511]

    I'll break this down for you, step by step, with no assumptions: when you asked about the "freedom stance" did you mean to imply that such a stance (getting frisked by TSA) was not representative of freedom?

    Once we get an answer, I'll pay another question. I'll lead you down the critical thinking path here.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

Page 62 of 63 FirstFirst ... 125260616263 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •