Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 623

Thread: Snowden embraces American flag in WIRED photo shoot[W:511]

  1. #11
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    re: Snowden embraces American flag in WIRED photo shoot[W:511]

    Hahaha what an idiot. Enjoy your time in Russia, bro!
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  2. #12
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 09:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,267

    re: Snowden embraces American flag in WIRED photo shoot[W:511]

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Oh, you're right, clearly the thing to do is run to the Russians. Look, I know there are some that think the US is the great evil in the world and like anything that harms the US, a lot of us just aren't in that place.
    Run to the Russians? My goodness, your short term memory is deficient.

    The US revoked his passport, is what happened. Selective amnesia on your part?

    The Russians were the only ones who would take him. Kinda like Assange living in the Ecuadorian Embassy because he angered the US.

  3. #13
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,802

    re: Snowden embraces American flag in WIRED photo shoot[W:511]

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Oh, you're right, clearly the thing to do is run to the Russians. Look, I know there are some that think the US is the great evil in the world and like anything that harms the US, a lot of us just aren't in that place.
    Heh, heh, heh.











    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  4. #14
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,732

    re: Snowden embraces American flag in WIRED photo shoot[W:511]

    I must be missing something with Snowden, because there are a lot of people on the left and right who are normally civil liberties advocates who despise the guy. We know the head of NSA has no problem looking into a camera and lying to the Congress and the public about what the agency is doing. We now know the CIA spies on Senators investigating past wrongdoing and is more than happy to delete/disappear documents that reveal wrongdoing. We know that going through the chain of command is futile. The Obama administration is brutally cracking down on leakers, and is as we speak threatening to jail journalists for failing to reveal their sources, in their prosecution of leakers who revealed illegal activity by the intelligence agencies.

    So in a broad sense, without endorsing everything Snowden has done, I'm not sure what someone wanting to expose the extent of the police state in the U.S. is supposed to do? The NSA was simply operating without meaningful restraints, including gathering near blanket coverage of all electronic communications in the U.S., of everyone. And every check on their ability to sift through the data from non-terrorists (aka innocent Americans charged and suspected of no crimes) has been shown to be window dressing, ineffective.

    I guess I don't understand how a person can complain about the near total police state we live under, with our government having nearly unrestricted access to ALL our communications, then demonize a person who took a huge risk to expose it all. Sure, he's imperfect, and undoubtedly has made mistakes, but the venom directed against him by civil liberties advocates is really puzzling to me. I don't like that he's hiding out in Russia, and before that China, but the U.S. makes it impossible for him to seek refuge in any other country, so we can't exactly complain that he's not traveling because the U.S. has made that impossible. And I don't expect him to be arrested and voluntarily go to solitary, never to be heard from again, which is what the U.S. did to Manning, for far LESS.

  5. #15
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: Snowden embraces American flag in WIRED photo shoot[W:511]

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Dood, he didn't run to the Russians. Who told you that? Do you realize how it can to be that he was stranded in Russia?
    Oh please. X Factor was just being dishonest. He knows perfectly well that the U S Government and it's allies hemmed him in. Snowden is using the Russians to remain free, while the Russians are using him to embarrass our government. This gives the opportunity for our government to try to propagandize about some kind of clandestine relationship. The stupid ignorantly parrot this idea, while the intelligent dishonestly do so.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  6. #16
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    re: Snowden embraces American flag in WIRED photo shoot[W:511]

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    The NSA was simply operating without meaningful restraints, including gathering near blanket coverage of all electronic communications in the U.S., of everyone.
    See, if this was agreed upon by everyone, you'd have a point. But instead, your argument basically rests upon this statement as if it's a universal fact. Well, it's not. That's the rub.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    re: Snowden embraces American flag in WIRED photo shoot[W:511]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    What a putz this guy is....I hope when he is caught he spends the rest of his natural life behind bars.
    A few changes are needed...

    What a hero this guy is....I hope when he is caught he spends the rest of his natural life happy and free.

    There we go.

  8. #18
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,802

    re: Snowden embraces American flag in WIRED photo shoot[W:511]

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    See, if this was agreed upon by everyone, you'd have a point. But instead, your argument basically rests upon this statement as if it's a universal fact. Well, it's not. That's the rub.
    How is that not true?










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  9. #19
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    re: Snowden embraces American flag in WIRED photo shoot[W:511]

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    How is that not true?
    Well, some people consider the FISA courts to be meaningful restraints. Certainly legal restraint. I mean according to those federal judges, anyway. And near blanket coverage is simply not true, period. Unless you have a very liberal definition of "near".

    Do you wonder why, of the 40,000+ folks who work at NSA, the vast, vast majority of them have no problem with what it does? They who know much more of it than normal folks? Is it because they're all bad people? Dumb? Or could it be something else?
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  10. #20
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,802

    re: Snowden embraces American flag in WIRED photo shoot[W:511]

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    Well, some people consider the FISA courts to be meaningful restraints. Certainly legal restraint. I mean according to those federal judges, anyway. And near blanket coverage is simply not true, period. Unless you have a very liberal definition of "near".

    Do you wonder why, of the 40,000+ folks who work at NSA, the vast, vast majority of them have no problem with what it does?
    I wonder how you know that the vast majority of them have no problem with what the NSA does?

    The NSA is compartmentalized and as such the vast majority of the NSA doesn't know what the vast majority of the NSA does. Even then I don't know that there has been any published survey or research regarding the question.

    They who know much more of it than normal folks? Is it because they're all bad people? Dumb? Or could it be something else?
    I'll take "Something else" for $50, Bob.

    Perhaps we should ask Snowden why no one speaks out publicly.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •