Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Hundreds of Thousands of Nigerians Flee Boko Haram, Seek Sanctuary

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,243

    Re: Hundreds of Thousands of Nigerians Flee Boko Haram, Seek Sanctuary

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Guess who controls gun possession. It's nonsense to presume a random group of people lack the 'backbone' to fight for themselves.
    An important point for our anti gun "friends" to consider.

  2. #12
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,445

    Re: Hundreds of Thousands of Nigerians Flee Boko Haram, Seek Sanctuary

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    It is easier said than done, but what would the story be if it were: "Hundreds of Thousands of Nigerians attack Boko Haram"
    The story would be:

    Tens of thousands of Nigerians die attacking better armed terrorists.

    Like Syria.

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Hundreds of Thousands of Nigerians Flee Boko Haram, Seek Sanctuary

    Quote Originally Posted by tech30528 View Post
    An important point for our anti gun "friends" to consider.
    What could go wrong? The govt will take care of you!

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,243

    Re: Hundreds of Thousands of Nigerians Flee Boko Haram, Seek Sanctuary

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    What could go wrong? The govt will take care of you!
    Yup. Just ask the Kurds.

    Not to get too far off subject, but there is something I couldn't figure out about the people trapped on the mountain in Iraq. If they were able to send a helicopter to supply them, why couldn't they send a gunship and just kill all the ones at the bottom of the mountain?

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Hundreds of Thousands of Nigerians Flee Boko Haram, Seek Sanctuary

    Quote Originally Posted by tech30528 View Post
    Yup. Just ask the Kurds.

    Not to get too far off subject, but there is something I couldn't figure out about the people trapped on the mountain in Iraq. If they were able to send a helicopter to supply them, why couldn't they send a gunship and just kill all the ones at the bottom of the mountain?
    Im not an expert, but there are few gunships, and ISIS has anti-air missiles. Also, ISIS is staying in towns and cities-they aren't out in the open.

    Heres an interesting photo thread, and someone has just posted an interesting video of these people-I believe they worship the sun, and only exist in a few isolated pockets of "kurdistan".
    Civil Unrest in Iraq - 2013/14 (Read first post) - Page 7

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Hundreds of Thousands of Nigerians Flee Boko Haram, Seek Sanctuary

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Guess who controls gun possession. It's nonsense to presume a random group of people lack the 'backbone' to fight for themselves.
    That might be a lesson for Americans.

  7. #17
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Hundreds of Thousands of Nigerians Flee Boko Haram, Seek Sanctuary

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    That might be a lesson for Americans.
    I'm coming late to the party, but how so?

  8. #18
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,001

    Re: Hundreds of Thousands of Nigerians Flee Boko Haram, Seek Sanctuary

    This is what happens when only governments and terrorists have weapons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #19
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Hundreds of Thousands of Nigerians Flee Boko Haram, Seek Sanctuary

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    Everyone thought there would be a crackdown after the 200 Girls were kidnapped.
    Mebbe, but the Jihadis of Boko Haram are in anything but retreat.
    While the world focuses on ISIS, Boko is clearing hunks of Northern Nigeria, a good part of Africa's most populous country.
    Countless refugees, including farmers who grow alot of the country's food.
    Islamists are doing alot of damage to non-Muslims in Nigeria (and Elsewhere) while we focus on the Middle East.
    Christians are under attack in many Islamic areas.

    Hundreds of Thousands of Nigerians Flee Boko Haram, Seek Sanctuary

    Forced Migration Is Expected to Strain Everything From Public Services to Food Security
    PATRICK MCGROARTY in Johannesburg/GBENGA AKINGBULE in Abuja, Nigeria
    WSJ - Updated Aug. 12, 2014 12:57 p.m. ET
    Hundreds of Thousands of Nigerians Flee Boko Haram, Seek Sanctuary - WSJ
    Nigeria is increasingly a failing state, has an impotent army (poorly trained, lack of morale, lack of commitment to the nation state, etc.), and widespread political corruption and cronyism. That's a bad combination. Nigeria isn't quite Somalia, but it's on a trajectory in which its deteriorating institutions are becoming increasingly dysfunctional. A leadership change might be a catalyst for breathing new life into the government as the current President is hapless and often out of touch with the realities facing Nigeria, but the chronic institutional decay will need to be remedied if Nigeria is to be turned around. A dramatic restructuring of the military will also be needed, as the military's performance against Boko Haram makes it abundantly clear that in most head-to-head battle situations Boko Haram would rout Nigeria's armed forces. Given some recent encounters, the fight would not even be close. This is a dangerous situation.

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Hundreds of Thousands of Nigerians Flee Boko Haram, Seek Sanctuary

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    Nigeria is increasingly a failing state, has an impotent army (poorly trained, lack of morale, lack of commitment to the nation state, etc.), and widespread political corruption and cronyism. That's a bad combination. Nigeria isn't quite Somalia, but it's on a trajectory in which its deteriorating institutions are becoming increasingly dysfunctional. A leadership change might be a catalyst for breathing new life into the government as the current President is hapless and often out of touch with the realities facing Nigeria, but the chronic institutional decay will need to be remedied if Nigeria is to be turned around. A dramatic restructuring of the military will also be needed, as the military's performance against Boko Haram makes it abundantly clear that in most head-to-head battle situations Boko Haram would rout Nigeria's armed forces. Given some recent encounters, the fight would not even be close. This is a dangerous situation.
    It's not possible to turn Nigeria around, it just won't happen, and in fact there are no strong nations left in the world that aren't Islamic. Perhaps in Russia or China they may be stopped, or slowed down, but this is the first time in recorded history that the western nations have been this weak. With Boco Haram on one side, ISIS on the other, and little response from the democracies, we can only see this trend continue.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •