Page 86 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast
Results 851 to 860 of 1198

Thread: Protests over Missouri teen's death turn violent[W:647,807]

  1. #851
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,453

    Re: Protests over Missouri teen's death turn violent[W:647,807]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I see this keep getting mentioned in the media and on here:

    Two-thirds of Ferguson's population is black, and yet the mayor is white, and so are five of the six city council members.

    The police chief is also white. There are only three African-Americans on the 53-person police force.


    How many blacks applied to be officers and were rejected? How many blacks ran for city council or Mayor?

    Nobody can seem to answer that, but everyone bitches about the racial makeup. If blacks aren't trying to be police officers, then yes, there won't be many on the force.
    If the black population in this town wanted a black mayor and city council members, they would be there.

    2/3 of the population is black and that would elect anybody, so the question is why are those seats held by whites?

    I think the color of somebodys skin matters more to media outlets than to the actual residents of this area.

  2. #852
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Protests over Missouri teen's death turn violent[W:647,807]

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    CNN has reported that the mayor ran unopposed. I doubt the police are able to release information about how many black folks apply to be officers. Many interviews with black folks have revealed that they feel there is a racial divide. CNN didn't manufacture that.
    So then a black person should have opposed the mayor. And you're right, the PD can't say how many blacks applied, but it is certainly relevant to the constant mention of it. If they don't apply, they won't be on the force. If it comes out that most who apply are rejected for non-correct reasons (they're former felons or something like that), then they have a gripe. But if not, no they don't have a gripe.

  3. #853
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Protests over Missouri teen's death turn violent[W:647,807]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    If the black population in this town wanted a black mayor and city council members, they would be there.

    2/3 of the population is black and that would elect anybody, so the question is why are those seats held by whites?

    I think the color of somebodys skin matters more to media outlets than to the actual residents of this area.
    Exactly. I assume these people have their positions based on citizens' votes. Can't vote for a black person if there are none running.

    But it makes for good media chatter to say, incessantly, that the mayor is white, and the council members are white, and there are only 3 blacks on a 53 person force.

  4. #854
    Sage
    longview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,339

    Re: Protests over Missouri teen's death turn violent[W:647,807]

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    If the cops weren't calling them animals it might help. If the cops weren't pointing guns at them it might help. Even in Iraq, the military doesn't point their guns at civilians.
    I am not saying the cops should not carry some of the blame.
    Their "cowboy" attitude (no disrespect to real cowboys) only added to the mess.

  5. #855
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,277

    Re: Protests over Missouri teen's death turn violent[W:647,807]

    Breaking news out of Ferguson is that Michael Brown was a suspect in a Robbery that just accured before he was stopped by the Police

    Changes things a bit doesn't it.

  6. #856
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:43 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,067

    Re: Protests over Missouri teen's death turn violent[W:647,807]

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    CNN has reported that the mayor ran unopposed. I doubt the police are able to release information about how many black folks apply to be officers. Many interviews with black folks have revealed that they feel there is a racial divide. CNN didn't manufacture that.
    LOL....perhaps of their own making?

    This is learned, orchestrated behavior from the leaders they follow.

  7. #857
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,194

    Re: Protests over Missouri teen's death turn violent[W:647,807]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    So then a black person should have opposed the mayor. And you're right, the PD can't say how many blacks applied, but it is certainly relevant to the constant mention of it. If they don't apply, they won't be on the force. If it comes out that most who apply are rejected for non-correct reasons (they're former felons or something like that), then they have a gripe. But if not, no they don't have a gripe.
    So there can't be a legitimate reason why they don't apply or run for office?
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  8. #858
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,194

    Re: Protests over Missouri teen's death turn violent[W:647,807]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Breaking news out of Ferguson is that Michael Brown was a suspect in a Robbery that just accured before he was stopped by the Police

    Changes things a bit doesn't it.
    He was still unarmed. But yes, it makes the description of him as a "thug" accurate if he was in fact the one to commit a strong arm robbery.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  9. #859
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,194

    Re: Protests over Missouri teen's death turn violent[W:647,807]

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    LOL....perhaps of their own making?

    This is learned, orchestrated behavior from the leaders they follow.
    What do you propose to alter that perception?
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  10. #860
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,540

    Re: Protests over Missouri teen's death turn violent[W:647,807]

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    So there can't be a legitimate reason why they don't apply or run for office?
    Its hard to imagine what that reason would be, particularly when a majority of the population is black.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

Page 86 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •